The future of Billy Volek

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by fitantitans, Jul 19, 2006.

?
  1. His trade value would be high. Trade him.

21 vote(s)
    61.8%
  2. Re-sign him as the 2007 starter.

8 vote(s)
    23.5%
  3. Re-sign him as the 2007 backup to Young.

5 vote(s)
    14.7%
  4. None of those, I would..................

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

No kidding. At the MOST, Volek can start two years. True, we might have to make a choice between Volek and Young then, and maybe we'd choose Volek if he's been lighting it up and Young hasn't quite grown up like we need him too.

And yes, getting to the playoffs doesn't mean it's Volek, but Volek should stay the starter at the beginning of next season if we make it to the playoffs and he's an asset, not something we overcome. I guess I'd say if he's got a top 10 passer rating he should remain the starter. Vince isn't going to light it up right out of the gate, keep Volek if he's successful.

2. Slackmaster

Slackmaster Starter

He is under contract through 2007 as it stands now.
    Volek is scheduled to make base salaries of $1 million in 2006 and $1.25 million in 2007.

He is a bargain, if he performs well.

3. fitantitans

fitantitans This space For Rent

I don't know what McNairs contract was like the first two years in Houston. I do know that he sat on the bench and did nothing but learn.
    As for Volek, from what I'm hearing from the other posters about this, his salary is locked in 2007, possibly 2008! The Titans are going to have to replace Volek if they trade him and basically pay the replacement QB the same amount owed to Volek.

4. Bulluck

Bulluck Camp Fodder

The best we can hope for is a Drew Brees situation.... If he does well, VOlek will play for two years then will be traded when his contract is up.

5. Bulluck

Bulluck Camp Fodder

But the point is if Volek as well as they are talking about he will demand a large contract, larger then we are willing to pay him with VY and larger thne we would pay a vet. back-up. Forget his contract as it is now, they're talking about what his extention would be

6. Slackmaster

Slackmaster Starter

The end of the 2006 seaon is the only time we will have an opportunity to trade him.
    And with his contract, we can only trade him if it suits him.
    Volek does well, another team wants him, is willing to give up something to the Titans, and Volek likes the move, then maybe we get something.
    If not, then either the Titans FO, or Volek and agent can veto a trade.
    If we keep him through 2007, his contract expires, and we get nothing in trade.

But, the front office does not hold all the cards in any trade, and keeping Volek for two years is cheap and cap friendly.

7. If Volek's options were to either face a major competition for the job from Vince Young or be traded to a team in need of a QB, why would he stay and risk being demoted?

8. Slackmaster

Slackmaster Starter

I would think that he would want to be traded.
    Just like if he were a superstud performer this season, he would want to be traded to get his big payday from another team.

But just because he might want to be traded rather than be demoted in his last contract year does not mean that the FO wouldn't want to keep him his last contract year as a cheap quality backup.
    It is too soon to tell what the different parties might want to do.
    It depends on how well Volek performs. Injuries to Volek, Young, and other QBs in the league also may have an impact.
    It will all likely be driven by factors we cannot know now.

But, we do know that Volek will not carry a big price tag for the Titans for the next two years.

9. BAMARON

BAMARON Camp Fodder

On the contract issue, my understanding is that Billy is locked in thru 07...There was an option to keep him longer which the team didn't pick up.
    As for a trade, Billy has to "approve" the trade or he can stay...Odd I know, but I'm just sure that's how it is...Whether he would start in 07, that's up to the coaches ( or maybe Bud )

Like any player, the two side could try to negoiate a new contract.

10. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

and further devaluing is worth on the market

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar