The Franchise Tag

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by A Fightin'Titan, Feb 13, 2009.

?
  1. Bo Scaife

11 vote(s)
    28.2%
  2. Kerry Collins

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  3. Rob Bironas

22 vote(s)
    56.4%
  4. Chris Carr

2 vote(s)
    5.1%
  5. Justin McCareins

3 vote(s)
    7.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

None of these players is worth the cost of the tag. Only possibilities realistically are Scaife and Bironas. Scaife should be a 3mil/yr guy, not 4.5. And Bironas shouldn't be making 2.5 when there are 4 really good kickers in this draft!

If you want to sign some big fish, like an AH, you can't waste a few mil on franchising guys who shouldn't franchised nor over-paying guys when they can be replaced cheaply.

Carr would be tagged as a CB so forget him.

Its in no one best interest to keep tagging the same player. The player risks his career with injury and losing his payday while the club gets hit with a huge cap #.

Gut

2. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Clearly McCareins. No one else on the list is worthy.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. wplatham

wplatham U of M Class of 2012

I think this was the answer I was looking for. That sounds like what I remember hearing when they negotiated the current CBA. So even if we could tag him again, we'd be looking at a price tag of nearly $18 million. That's a whole lot of money. :greedy:

4. tennygrl619

tennygrl619 Rookie

Sometimes the sarcasm is just too much for me

5. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I disagree on Bironas. Bironas is one of the best kickers in the league. I would think that the Titans could come to some kind of long term agreement with Bironas which would be a little cheaper than the tag. Heck, I'd rather pay Bironas less than 2% of our CAP to keep him than taking a chance on any kicker we could draft and in fact IMO it would be ridiculous as important as special teams and FGs are for this team to even consider having a rookie kicker. If Bironas were to leave we would probably sign a vet anyway to take his spot and the difference in pay wouldn't be worth it.

6. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

That's not quite right. There are 2 types of franchise tags...exclusive and non-exclusive.

With the non-exclusive tag (usually used), the player's cap is the avg of the top 5 salaries from last season or 120% of his current contract. The downside is, the player can still negotiate with other clubs and if he signs with another club, then the original team can match to keep the player or gets 2 first rnd draft picks in compensation if they don't match. The cap # for Haynesworth would be over 9mil.

The exclusive rights tag is very similar except that it takes the avg of the top 5 salaries as of April 16th...meaning it takes into account any NEW contracts signed during free agency. So if 1 player signs a new record contract, that 9mil cap # would go UP!!! The upside for the team is that the player can not be courted by another team. The player can only sign the contract or holdout.

At this point, it would be nice to be able to franchise AH because with the non-exclusive tag...even if we didn't want to give him the biggest contract in history, we could let him look for the biggest deal he could get and if we didn't want to match it, we'd get 2 first rnd picks as compensation. If they don't re-sign AH this off-season, they will have made a huge mistake...last year by allowing him to negotiate him not getting tagged this year.

Gut

7. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

Do you know the kickers in this draft and how good they are? If not, you're making a very big assumption that none of them aren't as good or better than Bironas.

Secondly, let's say you sign Bironas to a deal worth 2.5mil/yr for 4 years. If he's one of the best kickers in the league, he'll want to be paid like that, right? That's 10mil over that 4 years. Drafting a kicker at the end of 3 or in rnd 4 means you're paying them less than 400k a year for the next 4 years. That's about 1.5mil. That extra 8.5mil is the difference between a significant upgrade at another position....for arguably the same production.

And it's not like Bironas is Mr. Automatic at under 50 yds. Bironas is probably a middle of the pack kicker. He's never hit 90% accuracy overall so he's not a top 5 kicker (so why pay him as one). Actually, in 2007 I think he was one of the best kickers where I think he only had 1 miss under 50 yards...but the rest of his career was not as good. By overall percentage he wasn't even in the top 10 this year.

This season he missed 4 kicks in the 40-49yd range (probably the most important range) which by percentage makes him 18th in the league at that distance. Basically he's a kicker whos gonna miss some very important 40-49yd range kicks but can save you with a 58 yarder. He's not a top 5 kicker by any stretch and is also 31 yrs old (not like he's 25 and we're gonna sign him til he's 30). His greatest strength - his range - will start decreasing very soon.

I wouldn't pay him anything over 2mil/yr and would try to get him for significantly less. I wouldn't tag him.

Gut

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar