The franchise tag

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, May 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

There has been some confusion with a few articles which implied Haynesworth could only be franchised one season. That isn't the case.

I shot an e-mail over to Jim Wyatt who says Haynesworth can be franchised in back-to-back years. The thing is, after July 15, if a long-term contract isn't completed, the Titans must pay the tender for the season.

I would not be shocked if the Titans wanted to see if Haynesworth can play at a high level into the season before giving him a monster contract. They are at no risk of him leaving until 2010. I assume they can continue to negotiate into the season even if it can't be used until the end of the season.

If Albert says he won't do a long-term deal if something isn't done by July 15, he'll find himself in the same position after the '08 season. Obviously, he could hold out but that doesn't get him any closer to a long-term deal with the Titans or anyone else.

2. DaCrackDeala

DaCrackDeala Guest

thx, franchise tags always confuse the hell out of me....

3. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

yeah, but I can see him being a whiny little girl about not getting paid and he'll sit out just like Ocho Cinco

4. But he can also refuse to sign the 1 year tender unless the team agrees not to use the tag next season. A number of players have insisted on that over the last few years. I'd bet he'd insist on that as well.

5. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

he should demand a gift certificate from Sizzler in his new contract.

6. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

lol

at least a spot in the buffet line ahead of Lendale White

7. TitanJeff

But then he earns nothing and the Titans still own him.

How many players have held out for the season due to being franchised?

8. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

9. TitanJeff

Hmmm... I maybe should shoot this over to Wyatt.

Regardless, Haynesworth isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

10. I can't see him holding out the whole year just for that. But he could hold out for the first 6 games and sabotage our season.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar