The first of many articles hammering Manning

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Jan 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

I dont see how thats disrespectful in the least bit, on one hand he isnt a leader, on the other hand when he wants to go for it he is disrespectful, i dont get it. And 2, if Dungy lets players "over ride" him as you say, then they clearly have coaching issues as well. Peyton convinced him to go for it, and Dungy let him, but it was still Dungys call, and was the right call.

2. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

Convinced him? Since when did they talk about it? Looked like it was all on Peyton.

3. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

FIne your right, Tony Dungy has no control of his team and is just a figurehead that is to stand there and look good.

Ya know, there is criticism to go around for manning for sure, but the idea that he "overrided" his coach is just crazy. If Dungy wanted to kick it, he would told the team to still go out there, plain and simple.

4. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

What makes you so sure? Dungy is a very passive personality(if not talented) and Manning is a high pedigree player who loves to blame everything but himself for a loss (Never heard him take responsibility for a loss, which is what a leader does period). Seems extremely possible to me. Maybe I'm alone on that.:suspect:

5. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

What makes me so sure of what? That it was Dungys call? Because he is the HC and they make those decisions, thats what he is paid to do.

6. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Dungy has voluntarily delegated some authority to Manning the way he gives Manning so much freedom in the offense. Still, if Dungy had insisted on punting the ball thats what would have happened. Whats amazing is if the Colts win that game ie. their kicker makes the FG and the Colts win in overtime Manning's insisting on going for and making the first down in that situation would have been a playoff classic. If McNair had done the same thing in a playoff game and made the first down he would be called a great leader and a hero. The only reason we are even discussing the play in a negative sense is because the Colts eventually lost.

7. Almost every sentence in his press conference is "I" when it's possitive and "they" went something goes wrong.

8. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

ya know what ......

I just watched the interview with Peyton on the NFLN

and he tried as hard as he could to be as careful as he could in his responses. he didn't just walk up to the podium and start the conversations with "We lost because of lots of problems. the most atrocious of those my crappy OL's protection problems"

he could have pulled out the cookie cutter responses like " Well, we went out there with our gameplan, gave it 110% and the other team was ready for us. (insert opponent name here) played a great ballgame, they have some great players and a great coach and they did a great job"

but he didn't. he tried hard to avoid stepping on toes, he even said (several times) that he didn't want to point fingers and wanted to be a good teammate

I think he's overstated in the media - both ways
    He's always the Hero or the Scapegoat - never in between

9. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

it's gotta suck being under that constant microscope
    it's amazing he doesn't have suicidal tendencies

10. Haynesworth92

Haynesworth92 Fat Albert

Puck how come Reggie Bush's jersey is so much redder than Leinart's in your sig?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar