The facts about the Titans in Free Agency - a 3-year look

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Carpy, Feb 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. onetontitan

onetontitan Marioto

I think Wade was the one that got away....

2. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

This is not a normal market. The needs of the team are not nearly that dynamic, because they can be filled by free agents, draft picks, or multiple vets signed later for lower.

I guess my major distinction would be between what is called "premier". If you're talking about the top 3-5 FAs each season, then I'm more than happy if we never sign one. I think the value is SO much higher for the free agents that sign lower level contracts. Also, most of the time, your superstar players "should" come from your draft. The Vince and Pacman picks are going to cost us for years to come in that sense (presuming, and I'm sorry for doing so, that Vince doesn't become our franchise QB). You reinvest your huge contracts in your own players. If you find a gem or two in the lower rounds that can become one of these players (see Roos), all the better. Roos, Griffen, and CJ should be our major building blocks, and we'll get better value out of them than high priced free agents. Getting Albert signed would have fit this model, IF we'd given him a contract a year ago, or more. We could have guaranteed him 28-30 million over a year ago and he would have taken it, and maybe that was a mistake. However, free agents at their peak generally are overvalued.

3. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

I am enjoying the discussion as well. If I've gotten too far into a negative tone at times, I apologize.

I understand that the Superbowl win is the ultimate goal, and the standard by which things are to be measured. However, that's a little extreme. If/when we win a superbowl, I don't think that will be a reason to justify/dismiss all criticisms. I also don't think that it's the only scenario where we can be satisfied with the front office. At this point, we're a fairly young team (not counting the Oilers), and in the decade that we've had so far, I think we've been pretty competitive, and have been above average in terms of success. No, we haven't won a superbowl, but I'd say we have probably been one of the most successful (at least in the top 2-3) out of teams that haven't won a superbowl during that time period. I think that's something that's difficult to do. I think the strategy that we've been using is one that will win us a superbowl, and I don't think that it's a particularly strong argument against the franchise that we haven't won a superbowl yet. Not many teams have this decade.

I have high expectations, but I'm also happy with what we've got in the meantime.

4. Tuckfro42

Tuckfro42 Frozen Donkey Wheel

Sure it is more than luck... but, do you honestly think that our not getting to the SB last year was more than luck? The best team doesn't always win the SB, luck is involved. Two fumbles killed our shot. All I'm saying is that the plan the Titans go by has been proven successful by other franchises. I believe we will be rewarded.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar