The Extra Point

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Scarecrow, Jan 20, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...-considering-proposal-to-abolish-extra-points

TL;DR

The NFL is thinking about kicking the extra point; and potentially making it where you can still go for two and end up with eight points, or down to six if you miss.

Personally, I don't like the idea of scores going up to 8. I think that the integrity of the game gets compromised when you deal with scoring changes. However, I would not mind seeing the extra point going away. It is largely automatic, the other team cannot score if blocked, and it would minimize injuries. More importantly, we wouldn't waste time seeing a boring play.

2. The Hammer

The Hammer Ace Degenerate

I believe this was first proposed by Bill Belichick. And I like it. Extra point is annoying.

3. Clark

Clark #ShoutboxAlley4Life

The scoring doesn't go up to 8. It goes to 7. 8 if you get the "2 point" conversion. 6 if you don't.

You score... TD equals 7.
    You decide to go for the extra point, via running or passing mind you.. You get it you have 8.
    You miss it- it's -2.

Exactly the same scoring system.

4. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

I understand, I just don't like the 2pt part period. Make the scores 7 and just go to the kick off.

5. Clark

The other extra point option would be to make them a 40-45 yard minimum.

6. Clark

So no more 8 point scores ever?

Eh. No. That's changing the mathematical dynamic.

• High Five High Five x 2
  7. Clark

Currently... If you have 2 TDs.. And a fg. You have 17 points.

Imagine in the forth quarter, you have 9 points and the ball...facing the team with 17, down late. That's a one possession game. I wouldn't want to change that.

• High Five High Five x 1
  8. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

yea, I guess that makes sense. Maybe only let teams go for two in the fourth quarter. I just don't want to see the game change drastically.

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. Clark

This wouldn't change the game at all. Just remove the monotonous extra point kick. Same exact same 2 point ratio... Rare.

The team already gets 7. If they go for it, they are risking a point... Just like now. Wouldn't change how often teams went for it.

10. ImATitan

ImATitan Pro Bowler

I wouldn't mind a scenario where a TD + forgone conclusion of extra point is 7 (don't kick it). And if you are down 8 and want the 2 point conversion, you can go for it.

I wouldn't want to eliminate the fact that 8 point games can still be "1 possession."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar