The end of college football

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by XO, Jan 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. XO

XO Nevada Native

Today the Northwestern football players successfully unionized.

http://college-football.si.com/2014/01/28/northwestern-football-kain-colter-labor-union/

The demands are not yet known but pay for play is coming.

I argued with my father (a massive CFB fan) recently that college football as we have known it for the last few decades is over and the death of the BCS was just the first step.

The NFLPA has come out in support of the players unionizing.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/01/28/nflpa-backs-efforts-of-college-players-to-unionize/

The NFL is behind the commercialization of college football. They want to see it happen.

This is going to be big in the next couple years.

• High Five High Five x 2
  2. RavensShallBurn

RavensShallBurn Ruck the Favens

Something big is also coming February 20 or so, I believe.

It has something to do with the lawsuit against the NCAA, EA, and whatever the NCAA licensing company is called in regards to student athletes needing compensation for being represented in video games, on TV, jersey sales, blah blah blah. Who cares. You signed a contract with the school when they offered you your scholarship. If you don't agree with the terms, don't sign. If you're truly a good football player you'll end up making bank in the NFL, so stfu. It is free enterprise, but that is America. It may not seem fair for schools to profit eternally off of its athletes, but ****ing deal with it. They get so many benefits. It's unreal. Between their education, physical training, equipment, etc it comes to an upwards of a $500k value or so. Maybe more.

If the players don't like it they can just not sign the scholarships and go work at McDonalds.

It's just the beginning. And yes the end of college football as we know it is coming to an end. But the end of the USA as we know it is coming to an end soon too, so we better just get used to it.

• High Five High Five x 2
  3. steverife

steverife Pro Bowler

$500k? In all you can eat salisbury steak and travel accommodations to Starksville, MS.

It bothers me that an adult that is fully qualified for a job can't earn in a living in his profession until he reaches a certain number of years beyond his high school graduating class. Seems un-American.

• High Five High Five x 3
  4. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

About time. Many of these players are not "student athletes". They are moron athletes. Why force an education.

These people want to play football. Colleges have been paying for years. Time to make it legit.

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. Scarecrow

Scarecrow All-Pro

I'm sure the universities can afford it

6. XO

XO Nevada Native

These schools will be forced to separate their athletic programs from the university.

The major college programs will become what it has always been. A minor league NFL league with paid players and benefits.

The money in CFB is getting crazy. Everyone is getting rich except the people generating the product.

• High Five High Five x 3
  7. 615nick

615nick Starter

I think this is a huge reason why they should get paid, there is a whole lot of money that these guys make for the schools and the big players are already getting paid (deny it if you want, but its not just the guys that get caught), so why not make it legit.

8. RavensShallBurn

Ugh.

I used to think paying them was the right thing to do. It seems like the logical way of going about it on paper. I used to say "sure, pay Cam and pay Johnny; they're racking up tons of money for their schools and getting nothing in return."

Where is the line drawn though?

All the sudden you start paying superstars and then the scrubs want a cut too.

Where are the other college athletes in this (from other sports)? They'll start wanting to be paid for their work too... even if the money being generated isn't as much.

Then you'll have stupid high school athletes thinking they need to be paid.

What about the fans in the stands that end up on TV? Well, they'll start claiming they need to be paid too.

Maybe change the stupid rules to where an individual is allowed to make money off of his jersey sales. Or make it to where they can make money from commercials, endorsements, signatures, etc. I'm totally fine with that. But don't pay them per game or anything like that. It would get out of control.

You think NFL players don't know how to save up their money? Wait until 18 year olds start making bank and acting like ****ing Bieber all over campus.

It's already an issue as is. The athletes complain that they don't have enough money for food and whatnot... then they're provided with an allowance and what do they do? Go to the mall and blow it all on day one. This isn't hypothetical. This has already happened. It's like giving money to a bum. They'll just go blow it on booze.

9. RavensShallBurn

And please don't forget... the superstars are already receiving benefits and money out the ass... under the table.

A lot of players do.

10. XO

XO Nevada Native

The point is they are unionizing and it could spread.

All players equally represented could fight for whatever they or their union leaders want.

What happens when Alabama and Auburn walk back into the locker rooms on prime time television?

I don't think it is a matter of "if they will get paid" now.

It is when and how big of a piece of the pie will they get?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar