The Cumberland is a-rising

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by CRUDS, May 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Too bad The Lowery residence didn't wash away. I've been hoping for years to get that guy fired.

2. Chapparal97

Chapparal97 Grumpy Old Fart

It's pretty bad. I'm sure there are a few members here that live in areas affected. I'm about 15 miles east of downtown in a hilly area so flooding hasn't been a problem, but folks that live central, south and west of Nashville are still underwater. Electricity and phone/cable/internet services are still down for many so that could explain lackb of posts.

LP Field and how Bud is gonna pay for it are the least of our problems right now. Thousands of people are homeless, foodless and jobless.... that's a bit more pressing need right now than the stadium.

3. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

1) Nashville area

2) BAD. Hundreds of motorists were stranded on an interstate for 15-24 hours because all off ramps were flooded and they shut down the interstate in both directions. Many businesses underwater. Many homes without flood insurance underwater. LP Field (the actual field) underwater. Bridgestone Arena (where the Nashville Predators NHL team plays) underwater... at least the entire floor area. Opryland Hotel and Mall both underwater. Billions $$ in damages.

3) Most likely no. Our worst storm season is now, generally speaking.

4) It will cost a lot for the city. I don't think LP suffered MAJOR damage, but certainly the field will have to be repaired as well as the locker rooms and many offices.

5) Don't know.

6) LP Field probably is insured since its so close to the Cumberland but again I don't know.

Your last unnumbered question, it's pretty bad. I live north of nashville currently on Old Hickory Lake and I've spent the last two days cleaning out my basement and cleaning up what I could of my shoreline. Having grown up out here, I've never seen the Lake raise this high. Looking at pictures from a friend downtown, his entire street was a river. His neighbor and he are the only ones houses that did not flood on that street. He works in construction and their entire office/warehouse was underwater almost to the roof.

This is likely a once in a lifetime event for Nashville. People keep talking of the recovery in days or weeks, but it will be months before everything is truly back the way it was.

I feel the worst for all the families without flood insurance that have just lost everything. (although I do think it was clever whoever set their roof on fire once their home was underwater so they can claim insurance)

4. CRUDS

CRUDS Moderator Staff

April/May is only slightly wetter than Nov/Dec and we get nasty fronts in both transitional seasons. I wouldn't rule out serious flooding in the fall...

5. Chapparal97

Chapparal97 Grumpy Old Fart

That's a pretty tasteless comment considering what's going on here.

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

It's pretty terrible in some places, but practically unaffected in others. My house and most people in my neighborhood are fine, but there are a lot of places that really took a beating. The water is starting to go down, but it could take quiet a while, and then there will be a lot of repairing to do.

Right now, the next concerns are restoring power and fixing the water station. We're facing what could be a water shortage, and it sounds like a lot of people are still out there hosing down their garage and watering their flowers... it's too bad, that will only make it worse.

Hopefully the water will drop and the electricity and water stations can get back online. This is taking a lot of businesses that were otherwise unaffected out of action.

7. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

You know what, you're right. I take it back, my bad. In my area we had a similar storm that also had devastating results. I wish no harm to his family, but his coaching is horrendous.

8. A.D.

A.D. It's (insert day of week here) & Colts still SUCK Staff

Last I heard the death toll was 10 just in Nashville and 22 statewide. Those numbers are sure to increase as more bodies will be discovered in the homes of people who were unable to evacuate.

9. titan_fan_4ever

titan_fan_4ever Titans Rule

i had no idea it was that bad. i hope the best for everyone in the area - and ya all r right, f the stadium - like i said i didnt care to read any articles just saw that pic.

global warming is crazy.

i can give u a story, couple months ago egypt had just ONE DAY of rain - it actually was pretty crazy it started to hail. i was driving to a friends house w/ some peeps and was there for a bit. the hail did not stop - it turned to rain and kept on going - longest i've ever seen it percipiate in Egypt.

come nightfall - the country was flipped upside down. in some places houses were flooded to the roof, cars were actually floating in egypt. I saw an old skool SUV - toyota- with teh muzzle coming out of the hood just driving through a mini river on the street. water up almost covering the windows - sure it made it but damn. it took us like 5 hours to get back to where we lived (i was with ppl) i didnt think id make it i was trippin - this country has NOOOOO drainage system whatsoever.

im telling you if that rain lasted for more than a day - most of cairo would have seriously disappeared

""Cars are literally swimming," said a commuter stuck in the mayhem."

"The hail storm comes on the heels of a heat wave that hit the capital, in such an unusual time of the year." - humans are ruining everything guys

10. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Jesus not global warming issues.

Anyway, what caused the rain? Monsoon or just a lot of rain?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar