The case for paying Haynesworth, ASAP

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by NewsGrabber, Feb 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

You mean guys like Corey Simon?

Don't act like we were nowhere near our cap number last season. That is flat out wrong.

We had the 7th highest payroll of ANY TEAM in the NFL last season.

http://content.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/salaries/totalpayroll.aspx?year=2008

2. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

And was considered a crappy player until he resurrected his career here in Tennessee.

Chris Henry is also a 2nd round pick.

3. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

How would you know what he was considered? You wouldn't have even heard of him until he got here.

And regardless he had talent enough to be a second round pick, he was also a back up due to his injury issues.

4. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

That's not true at all. He tore his ACL 3 games into his rookie career and their was a LOT of buzz about him at the time.

5. Alex1939

Yes it was true. He was considered a bust because of injuries at the time he signed with us.

He had 4 seasons with the Cardinals, none of them good. well 2002 was mediocre.

Actually I had heard of him and its ridiculous for you to assume that I hadn't.

He was still considered a "crap bust" player at the point we signed him. When we initially signed him, NO ONE thought he was going to come in and be a force at DE. I mean, there was more hope for KVB than Mike Williams.. but it was no guarantee he was going to be badarse.

6. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Who considered him a "crap bust".

7. Alex1939

Here's a fun one...

http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/f4/vanden-bosch-update-58204.html

http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/f4/kvb-not-coming-back-49850.html

Some other good one's there...

but seriously, KVB didn't get re-signed during his original 4-year rookie deal. he signed one-year CHEAP deal with Titans... after his great season we locked him up for several more years.

The words most associated with KVB when he signed with the Titans were: "injury-plagued bust"

8. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Fan opinions aside, he missed two seasons with injuries, doesn't mean he went from crap to good.

He went from unhealthy to healthy.

• High Five High Five x 1
  9. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

I am sure Cardnial fans were not happy when KVB went to Tennessee on a 1 year deal. I know I was POed at Nedney when he went to SF. I felt he owed Tennessee a "cheap" contract after his stint here, but hey he beat the stinkin' squeelers in the POs so Go Joe!

10. wplatham

wplatham U of M Class of 2012

The difference is we signed him for the veteran minimum, then after that, he produced for us, so we gave him an extension. You are wanting us to give way more than vet minimum for guys who haven't produced, even when they were healthy.

Stallworth, Hackett etc. would have never succeeded here, because they were never better than mediocre anywhere else.

You mentioned Samuel, but we had Finnegan and Harper already. One became a Pro Bowler, and the other had just been signed the season before.

Turner also got a huge deal, and there were five running backs drafted in the first round two months later. Which is a better deal? Chris Johnson at his current salary or Turner at his?

Just because you have money doesn't mean you spend it just for the hell of spending it. Money doesn't work different just because we are talking about football. Invest wisely so that you will see dividends instead of debt. And I think we have done a good job of that over the last few years.

I guess it's time to start preparing for one thousand posts during the first week of March about how cheap MR is and how we don't want to win because we don't sign average players to big contracts. After a few weeks of that, I will be in dire need of my spring break. (The Physics and Calculus exams won't help my cause either, lol.)

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar