The cardinal sin of the running QB..

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by RollTide, Dec 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

SEC, all one needs to do is look at the WR rankings based on their complete formula to know that something is wrong.antuan boldin is the 42nd best WR in the lewague according to them. My reference had nothing to do with formula it was based on the simple FACT that 66% of the balls thrown to gage were caught and 61% of the balls thrown to williams were caught. Compare that to to many pretty good Wrs who were less than 60% and some below 50%. Chris chambers for example was below 50%, issac bruce caught just 54% of the balls thrown his way.

All the guys at football outsiders did to arrive at those percentages was to chart the play by play of the games from nfl.com. It is not a formula and it is emotionless..

2. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

If I shoot all the monkeys in the barrel does it mean that I'm good at shooting monkeys?

3. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Funny, the racial connotation with what you just said. Good thing you made no sense eh?

4. utdtitans

utdtitans Camp Fodder

Rolltide,

Catching balls thrown to you is usually more on the qb. Chris Chambers didn't have a lot of drops it's just he spent half the season with miami qb's throwing to him, and bruce has had backup qb's throwing to him most of the year. That stat is just if they're targeted. So that stat becomes meaningless because what if you just have a qb who throws it 10 feet over your head every time.

5. KTOWN TITAN

KTOWN TITAN Orca Fighter

Someone thats in Columbia, Tn would see the racial connotation. Enjoy Mule Day.:)) Nah neither comment made sense, but then again mine doesn't either.

6. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

Unfortunately, the drops this year have not only cost us yards, and not only cost us TD's, but games. And I can only remember one catch that won us a game. I think that is what is eating at everyone. Our Wr's are not making plays.

7. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

no racial connotation at all...

In my analogy a shot monkey is a caught pass. Aren't you familiar with the expression "easy as shooting monkeys in a barrel"? Well, that's what our offensive system is in a way. All the short routes are relatively easy passes to catch.

Remember David Carr's completion percentage last year? It was really high. Did that mean he was an outstanding passer? Hardly. Many analysts theorized that the Texans were throwing all this short and easy stuff to boost that stat (% passes complete) for Carr.

I guess it worked. Carolina was dealt a crappy qb and the Texans were able to sign a new quarterback. The bottom line is that given there are so many passes thrown inside 10 yards it's perfectly reasonable to expect many would be caught. That doesn't necessarily make them effective plays.

8. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

SEC, i always thought it was fish in a barrell. :suspect:

Your analogy is a poor one. First of all if our Wrs only caught short passes they would have below average YPC. They don't. Our 2 top WRs are averaging 13.3 yards a catch. That's about average.

Secondly you can't improve a Qbs stats by simply throwing short. The passing rating formula accounts for that by including yards per pass. Throwing short passes will increase a Qbs comp rate but will hurt his yards per pass average. That's why carr completed 68% of his passes last year but only had a passing rating of 82 because each pass only gained an average of 6.3 yards.

By the way the average in the nfl is about 60% comp rate and 7 yards per pass..

9. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Fish in a barrell..

To me the fish in a barrell analogy would apply to a WR who has 700 yards receiving on a team that threw for 4500. Any run of the mill Wr can get in the way of that many passes in that offense. To get 700 in an offense that only throws for 3000 is a greater accomplishment..

Right now justin gage and roydell williams are on pace to have about 50 catches for 700 yards. That's pretty good in this offense.

10. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

receiving rankings

then tell me what is so good about their #57 and #58 rankings?

what is "average" about that? Our #1 guy is ranked #57?

RollTide, that is not very good.

Again, I am willing to spread blame around to Young, Fisher and Chow...
    but really... why do you act as if all is well?

Clearly it is not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar