The Business of NFL Football- Titans Style

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Tungtide, Apr 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tungtide

Tungtide Just Another Freak

I am new to this forum but I have been a Titans fan for years. I have lived in Nashville my whole life and was one of those people who were thrilled when the Oilers moved here- it was as if we finally had arrived. I was very proud that our new NFL team was able to go to a Super Bowl- and I was just as proud after that game to call myself a Titans fan. For years we were blessed with a very good team- in truth we were spoiled. But regardless I was always proud to be a Titans fan. I don't know if I can say that anymore.
    Not because we've had bad seasons, but because of the way the front office has handled our veteran players.
    I know, I know...it's time for me to take off my blinders and look at the facts- but what are the facts? What is real here verses what the team would want us to see?
    Fact#1- Steve McNair hasn't played like an MVP for a long time and doesn't rate the fat contract money negotiated earlier in his career. FACT: The Titans have dealt away 2 of the 4 best targets (Mason & McCareins) Steve had as a MVP and another retired after Steve's MVP season (Wychek). Add to this changing offensive coordinators, numerous first and second year players on offense and defense as well as seasoned linemen making rookie mistakes and you get a mess that many in this organization can share responsibility in creating.
    Fact#2- Asking Steve not to work out at the Titans training facilty is a smart move due to the cap hit we will take if he is injured there. FACT: You don't treat the guy who has a forty foot billboard on your colliseum like a chump...period.(oops, that happened before didn't it?) ..like say call him to let him know your concerns instead of letting him show up at the facility and hear it from a trainer- while Floyd, Jeff and Norm are all in California looking at another quarterback. That's REAL classy guys.
    Fact#3- Even if they wanted to keep Steve, his opinion of his skills are unrealistic. FACT: This may be true, but then again it may not. As a fan I sure don't want to find out that Steve had five great years left while watching him in a Ravens uniform. That disgusts me. But, like my good friend said earlier tonight, though he has ragged on Steve's performance Steve doesn't deserve the "Titans" treatment he's getting. It boggles my mind that Adam Jones can get away with the crap he has and our league MVP gets treated like an old pair of sneakers.

Maybe Floyd and Jeff should consider what our draftees are learning about how they are likely to be treated in the future as a Tennessee Titan.

I will continue to support the team, but it won't be the same. Then again after Steve is gone it won't be the same team.

2. dontdraftcutler

dontdraftcutler Downing Sucks. Kelly sucks even more.

Memories of Randall Godfrey are springing up....

3. JohnnyTitan

JohnnyTitan Camp Fodder

I don't like the thought of McNair anywhere else myself, but it sounds like his agent got the news beforehand.

4. JohnnyTitan

JohnnyTitan Camp Fodder

Memories of Godfrey only spring up if thats what you want to remember. I chose to think of the decision made on George, which was proven correct when he couldn't stay on the active roster in Dallas.

5. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

That's a nice long post there fella. I read every word and on the whole I didn't like it. Sure, this team has got problems and growing pains and such... I think you are not looking to the future... because the Tennessee Titans are going to be a superior team again... just get off the bandwagon already if you are so disenchanted... I'm going to ride this out with my team and keep hoping.

I'm not going to cry over spilled milk and not every decision the FO has made is horrible... suck it up. Losing stinks but for the love of God don't whine about it.
    opinion and fact... ahh... I see... :suspect:

6. Laserjock

Laserjock South Endzone Rocks! Staff

Pretty brutal critique of the post there BP. Didn't see it as whiny at all...I think he may be more in line with a lot of long term Titans and what they are thinking of the whole way this has gone down than a minority of those who are willing to distill this down to nothing more than a cap number. Personally I also believe you don't simply treat McNair as an unfortunate victim of the bottom line. The Titans knew this was going to be their stance...they should have told Bus and Steve what they were thinking before the offseason program geared up once they realized the contract was not going to get worked out.

Its like Wycheck said yesterday morning, it was at times when Steve had difficulty walking off the bus on his own because of the pain he was in yet gutted it out and went out and won the game for the Titans that defines the dedication and effort the guy put into doing his part for the team. You would think a cell phone call from Underwood or Reese would have been the least they could do.

BTW...if you eat up almost half a meg of server space every time your "video signature" is posted then I hope you are kicking in some $$ to TJ.

7. Everyones opinion is different, however, I don't think he is whining, he is just saying what some Titan fans are thinking right now about what has happened.

I know a Titan fan that will stop supporting the team as much as he used to, if Mcnair is no longer a Titan.

8. Now that I don't agree with, I think this situation with Mcnair won't happen, the Titans won't do this again, I'm sure of that.

Owner and Player Greed is Killing the Game!!!

9. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

It is a game for 60 minutes, 16 times a year. For the other 23 hours on those days and the 349 other dates on the calendar, it is a business.

And sometimes BAD business.

10. Ewker

Ewker Starter

Then you are not a Titans fan to start with. :sad2:

McNair is part of the team. He is not the TEAM.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar