The Bright Side of the Ball

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by GLinks, Sep 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

I thought I'd try to bring some news to cheer us up after two games.

Titans defense is ranked 1st in the league, both overall and in passing. The D is giving up an average of 3.4 yards/ play and 4.1 yards/play passing. Obviously our guys need to win the turnover battle, but if they keep playing the way they have, I know the margin will flip for us at sometime.

Against the run, the Titans are 21st, but there's some aberrations up there at the top right now.

Though it's early yet, Jason Babin and Will Witherspoon are tied for 10th in sacks with 2 a piece. The leader so far is Clay Matthews with six, then Mario Williams has 3.

Derrick Morgan has as many as Kyle Vanden Bosch with 1.5 each.

Speaking of, as a team, the Titans are 3rd in sacks with 8 overall. Green Bay and Detroit are tied for 1st with 10 each. Indy is 4th with 6.

I'm encouraged about what we've seen so far on D without Brown at 100%, Morgan playing very limited snaps, and no Hayes. We're going to need more from these guys, especially Morgan for now, if Ford is going to be missing time.

• High Five High Five x 3
  2. Smash

Smash 2017 Survivor Winner

Nate is tied 5 with most receiving TDs (with 10 others). He he's had some hands so far, looking good. He's en route to 976yards.
    Generally speaking, I think our WR/TEs hands have improved.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

Our D is definitely a big bright spot. THIS is what we were expecting when Cecil took over, and it just took a while to gel. I'm shocked at Witherspoon - really didn't expect him to be a playmaker, but I thought he'd be ok. The line is playing smart and aggressive. Hope and Griffin are looking more like their old selves.

Offense has some work to do, but Sanchez's rebound against the Pats gives me hope. As bad as we looked on offense today, the Jets looked worse in week 1. This D will keep us in most games. 7 turnovers and we still had a chance to tie at the end. That's impressive defense.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. World Peace

World Peace Nephew Gunner

Keith who?

5. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

I agree. I ran Washington's numbers in my head loosely yesterday and realized he was on pace for over 900 receiving. I think he's going to be the guy this year. Two games, two TDs is nice. I'll be pleased if he can get 1000 yards and around 10 TDs for the year.

6. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Our defense held strong vs the Steelers. I was very happy with their play. Can't say the same about our offense, the Steelers whooped our butts. I'm glad to get this game out of the way. It's good timing because we've seen the best defense we'll see, and should be ready for anyone now.

7. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

I'm surprised, but it's all scheme. Even with Schwartz here, about twice a year we'd send a MLB up the middle for a sack. Now we're doing it more. Surely Bulluck is thinking, "I leave and now they blitz from my position?"

If that keeps up, WW will get more attention at WLB than Bulluck did, which would be weird, but media and fans care about LBers who blitz, and it's just not done as much in a 4-3.

On offense, yeah, I think we'll do okay. But we have some wholesale changes to make and VY has some work to do, starting with ball security. The coaches have work to do with their gameplanning. They really need to make this into Vince's offense.

I just think when we try to manage games, we are denying all these highly-athletic skill players we've spent the last few years acquiring and developing. Fisher needs to allow Dinger to design things that only the Titans can do. Teams around the league should be saying:

"We can't do that, we don't have a Chris Johnson."

"We don't have a Vince Young."

"We don't have a Jared Cook."

"We don't have a Nate Washington, a Kenny Britt. We don't have a second running back with the short area quickness and hands of a Javon Ringer. We don't have a TE who can block and catch as well as a Craig Stevens."

But yeah, like the Jets, I think the Titans O will rebound in general. We should never have even half that many turnovers a game again. Clearly a good deal of yesterday's debacle was turnover induced, but we still run into walls against good Ds.

8. Finnegan2win

Finnegan2win hopesfall2win

Guys not to be a negative nancy but consider the offenses we have played so far. Jason Campbell, Dennis Dixon and Charlie Batch..come on guys..

9. Jwill1919

Jwill1919 Coach

I really have been impressed with the overall intensity of the Defense. I can't wait to get McRath back. But really, the DLine is playing very well, Jason Jones disappeared once the season started, he was a monster in preseason, haven't seen much of him since. Babin and the other ends have looked pretty good, so we lose Ford, but get Hayes back, seems like it's just going to be one of those rotations. Haven't gotten exploited on the outside yet, and I think overall, Cecil has been very aggressive and bringing pressure from everywhere. Reminds me of Gregg Williams, i like it a lot!!

10. GLinks

GLinks Second Gear

Jones got a sack in game one and applied pressure most of the game. He was double-teamed against Pittsburgh because he rang them for 4 SACKS last time they played in Nashville.

What'chu talkin' 'bout, Willis?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar