The biggest problem with the passing game will be....

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by stillmatic23, Jul 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LT21Titans27

LT21Titans27 Tebow Apostle

Yea that usually happens once a team can get some decent tape on a rookie qb, same thing happened to Romo and Grossman(Not rookie but 1st time starting)

We get to see the qbs counterattacks on the defensive adjustments this year

2. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

Here is a stat I did not expect to see, Steve Young currently holds the NFL record for the highest career passer rating with a mark of 96.8. I knew he was good, but he never struck me as an efficient qb for his whole career. I mean, he had some tough years and he was a running qb. Nevertheless, he is the career leader. Montana was 92.6

3. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

What you like about Young tho', and any qb, is if they dare you to pass. That is a qb's dream. It is every team's dream. Young is going to tear them apart this year if they try to stop the running game.

As they said with Lawrence Taylor, once you start to gameplan a player, it's over. Not only does it open up the game for everyone else, it also makes the other teams draft to try and stop you from doing what you do well. They are trying to stop you instead of getting the best players for their team. It's like a dream come true for a qb. I really hope they dare us to pass.

4. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

two of those three defenses were in the top ten in passing TDs given up too.

5. ZELL22

ZELL22 Starter

Why is it that one person doubting VY's QB skills, can stir up a ton of debate
    The facts are:

1. He had a Helluva Rookie year, by whatever/whoever's standards
    2. He is a damn good QB
    3. He needs to improve his passing game (3000 yds passing/15-20 TD's would be nice)
    4. He will not be Peyton Manning
    5. He will not be Mike Vick (Thank God)
    6. He will be better than both of them, Just in different ways.
    7. He will be a top 5 NFL QB

Now, nuff said, let the debates cease and desist.

6. Crash Override

Crash Override inVINCEable

Young had a decent year for a rookie, not great but not bad either. He also didn't have the best supporting cast of WR either, but Henry helped him out a lot. He will continue to get better each year because that is the type of player he is a hard worker who wants to be the best, and he will improve.

7. Nine

Nine Starter

Hey, if VY is the weakest link in the passing game, then I'll be one happy camper. Ecstatic, even.

Over the final half of his rookie year, Vince was consistently completing 60% of his passes against "average" defenses. Sure, he struggled against the top notch defenses like Jax and New England....but then again, most QB's do. (After all, isn't that what differentiates the top notch defenses from the rest of the league?)

He has already demonstrated the ability to dominate games and break the will of opposing defenses. He was among the worst-ranked passers in the NFL, yet he played a huge role in leading the Titans to a 6-2 finish, often against heavily favored opponents. Even when he had a poor statistical performance, he usually found ways to make a difference and contribute to the team's success.

And he did all this in what will almost certainly be the very worst season of his career.

Virtually every rookie QB has problems early in his career, regardless of talent. Heck, Peyton Manning threw 28 INT's in his first year. Nobody comes into the league as a finished product.

Every other QB under the sun improves after his rookie year; to imply that Young can't or won't improve is simply unrealistic.

The guy has all the athletic ability in the world. He's got an exemplary work ethic, a world-class coaching staff, and an offensive coordinator with a long resumè of developing spectacularly talented QB's. Heck, he's even got a longtime veteran QB with Super Bowl experience as his mentor. Simply put, he's got an incredible support system behind him, both individually and from an organizational standpoint.

In short, there is absolutely no reason in the world to think that he won't become significantly better than what we've seen thus far.

And if that ends up being the team's weakest link, then heck....we might as well book our flights for Tempe right now.

8. leefrone

leefrone Camp Fodder

Vince was really bad at staring down his recievers at the beginning of last year causing defenders to get a jump on the ball but he got better as the year went on.

9. SupDawg

SupDawg Guest

Im going to have to agree with you. Vince hasn't looked to great in camp. A lot of lame ducks, tipped balls, INTs, overthrown passes, and high passes.

I was hoping that Chow would work more with his footwork out there. I assumed that his footwork was the root cause of inconsistent throws. I don't know if we are too afraid to monkey with his delivery, that it could hurt him longterm.

If he doesn't get his completion % above 57 this year, I would say he needs to develop a different throwing motion.

10. SupDawg

SupDawg Guest

you my friend are on crack :))

No way he even sniffs those numbers.

I'd be surprised if he completed 60% and had a rating > 88

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar