The All Purpose College Football Thread

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Eddyc85, Aug 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

Well I am disappointed and bitter at how Tennessee has fallen from a premiere SEC team, to a second-rate SEC team.

Can't say we've been mediocre for a decade, since a decade ago we were undefeated. 3 SEC championship game appereances since then seem to suggest better than mediocrity.

But we've had our share of bad seasons, and we aren't the level of program we used to be.

However, I believe if we played a ACC/Big10/or PAC10 schedule over an SEC schedule in several of the last few seasons, our record would be better. I don't think we would've gone undefeated or anything, but there would be a few more wins.

I don't see how it's so different when Florida loses a game they aren't supposed to vs when USC does it.

And this statement is pretty inaccurate. Florida lost to a South Carolina team in the Urban Meyer era. Look at Florida/Ole Miss recent history and Florida has 3 losses to Ole Miss in the 2000s.

So, do you think Ohio State would've done as well had they played an SEC schedule the last 3 years? How bout if they had to play in a conference championship game?

Using your logic: USC is not that strong of team, not as strong as most people think, because they lost to a conference bottom-feeder. What does that make Ohio State then? You lost to a team you are admitting isn't that strong.

2. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

typically OSU and UM are the two best teams in the big 10 any way and they play every year. but i'd be all for getting rid of northwestern and having a championship game.

3. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

It just is. USC manages to blow an easy game every year and play themselves out of the national championship game. Florida (a supposed top SEC team) lost 4 games last year, then lost a game to a bad team. That doesn't seem so tough to me. USC on the other hand is a dominate team for all but 1 game of the season.

Well we don't play in the SEC. We are not located in the south east so why would we? We also have 11 teams so dividing it to make a conference championship isn't a good idea.

I didn't say USC isn't strong, I said they tend to trip once a year, Florida isn't the strong team. OSU lost to a very good team.

Besides didn't Tennessee lose to UCLA?

4. Alex1939

And your point is....

That's very good non-answer. I'll go ahead and just say it: If Ohio State played in the SEC or the BIG12, there is no way they have as good of a record as they have the last several seasons.

Yeah, an 11 team conference doesn't make much sense for a conference championship game, BUT it doesn't change the fact that your team gets to slide by while tougher conferences actually play to determine a champion.

Hilarious. USC can lose a crappy game, but they are still badass. Florida loses a crappy game, and now they aren't good.

Who beat Ohio State two years ago for the national title... oh yeah, a not so good Florida team huh? (Since afterall they lost to Auburn that year)

• High Five High Five x 1
  5. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

That Tennessee sucks and that's funny to me.

OK well I still think OSU would have been undefeated 2 years ago and still be just as good as they were last year even if they played in the vastly overrated and overhyped SEC. See your not the only one who can make claims without backing them up.

How would OSU do in the SEC? How the hell would I know? They don't play games on paper.

Oh well.

Did you hear what I said? USC loses 1 bad game EVERY YEAR. Florida lost what 5 games last year?

It's easy to dismiss USC losses because of course USC is a better team than Oregon State or Stanford but when you lose as much as Florida has between this year and last it becomes indefensible. Yea you could say well Florida is still better than Ole Miss but are they better than Auburn last year? Or Michigan or whoever else beat them?

Again the secret is out on Tebow, stop his run and he's an average passer. I saw that Tebow run against Ole Miss coming a mile away. A Tim Tebow run is more predictable than a pitcher bunting in baseball with a guy on first.

6. Tuckfro42

Tuckfro42 Frozen Donkey Wheel

Didn't Tebow end up passing for like 380-something yards against Ole Miss? He's more than a one trick pony, unlike VYII in Columbus.
    Florida's defense is their weakness. Has been since Meyer got there and will continue to be until he leaves.

7. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

It was 320 yards against Ole Miss and a pathetic 95 against Tennessee. He's a one trick pony, sorry. Besides when it mattered he couldn't get the 1 yard. Why? Because he's too predictable.

And yea I'd take Vince Young in his college days any day of the week so I hope your right. But Pryor will be a better passer next year, he's still learning.

8. Alex1939

Florida lost to national champion LSU. Two solid SEC programs in Georgia and Auburn. And their worst loss was against Michigan in the bowl game. That's the only one I find indefensible.

January 8th, 2007: Florida 41, Ohio State 14.

January 7th, 2008: LSU 38, Ohio State 24.

September 13th, 2008: USC 35, Ohio State 3.

2007, Ohio State's toughest opponent during the season was #20 Purdue. Also a nice 28-21 loss of mighty Illinois. Guess by your standards, Ohio State, not that strong of a team.

9. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

That loss to Auburn seems pretty indefensible to me. Auburn isn't any good and it was a home game. And I don't see how Michigan is an indefensible loss. I mean other than OSU the Big 10 has handled the SEC pretty well. 9-8 in bowl games since 02. Guess that's one of those facts that SEC fans don't like to talk about much.

And please stop putting words in my mouth. What the hell is it you want me to admit to? That OSU isn't good? Sorry not happening. Other than maybe Alabama I'd put OSU up against any of the SEC teams and wager that we would win.

10. Alex1939

That happens when you get Big10#3 playing SEC#5.

Which is why I suggested earlier in this thread how much better college football would be with similar scheduling to the NFL. rotating conference schedules, where you'd get #1Big10vs.#1SEC, #2Big10vs#2SEC, etc.

How much money you lose the last two national championships?

Ohio State is every bit as "overrated" as you would claim the SEC to be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar