The 3-4 isn't working

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by ncaalover12, Sep 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ncaalover12

ncaalover12 Starter

Dick LaBeau is 80 years old. When the camera is on him he looks like he can barely see the field. He seems like a really good dude, but our defense has been bad since he got here. Casey and Morgan are playing out of position, and I haven't seen good secondary play in years outside of Byard. Orakpo is old and washed up, and our MLBs are nothing special.

What will it take for us to abandon this experiment and get back to the good ole 4-3 having Casey wreaking havoc inside and not getting trucked by a guy who hadn't played football for nearly 2 years?

2. Aqutis30

Aqutis30 Do you mind - NOT being a Motaur?

I mentioned this morning that when the camera was on DL the dude was blinking his eyes like every .5 seconds like he couldn't see. I've never been a big fan of the 3-4 and I think you have to have a very good personnel group to pull that defense off which we really don't have.

• High Five High Five x 3
  3. ncaalover12

ncaalover12 Starter

I mean I like Orakpo, but we need a guy like Von Miller or James Harrison to get after the QB. Seeing Morgan trying to go out and cover somebody is always fun, too.

4. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

I agree. the 3-4 hasn't worked since Horton tried to implement it. I know it was supposed to be some sort of hybrid, but based on the success, I'll take it that "hybrid" means they have no idea how to correctly run a 3-4 defense.

The big issue is how much would need to change back to the 4-3. Would need an offseason to pull it off I think.

I'd like to see Casey and Sly on the DL and Morgan or Orakpo in the DE. That may work, but we still have a way to weak LB corp.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  5. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Ive kinda been saying this same thing since last year.

I wouldnt hate moving on from LeBeau...

Kind of surprised its come to this... Guys a legend, was expecting bigger and better things from the 3-4 when we converted..

6. ImATitan

ImATitan Pro Bowler

Would take 2+ years to successfully go back to 4-3 now

There's nothing wrong with the 3-4

Its a talent issue. We don't have an ELITE pass rusher. We have some damn good ones.

4-3 isn't gonna fix the lack of talent in the secondary over the last few years. Jason McCourty, Perish Cox, Brice McCain, Valentino Blake, Cyprien etc would still suck in a 4-3 lol.

MLBs are fine. Woodyard & Williamson are excellent vs the run. Now we have Jayon Brown to cover TEs too.

Morgan has actually been a very good 3-4 OLB. He's way better in coverage than I thought he'd be.

• High Five High Five x 4
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 2
    • Troll Troll x 1
  7. Johnnyb

Johnnyb RTR

Issues from yesterday on D:
    • Middle of DL got blown off the line, Raiders OL overpowered us
    • Had to bring extra blitzers to get to the QB, so that left us in man coverage outside and our DB's got torched
    • Edge was rarely set by OLB's
    • Raiders kept running crossing routes that took advantage of man coverage
    I'm not sure a scheme would fix those problems, we just got overpowered and beat by their OL. Because of that, they were able to manipulate and expose our weaknesses.

• High Five High Five x 1
  8. DaCost

DaCost Starter

The problem with this system is the corners...they will always be on a island by their selfs with almost no help.

Plus if you don't get to the qb its even worse.

9. ImATitan

ImATitan Pro Bowler

Raiders have one of the best OLs in the NFL so I can accept this tbh

We didn't get blown out.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  10. rekirts

rekirts Starter

Their Oline is really good. We still held the run down pretty good.

Carr was throwing the ball quickly every throw. Its really just the secondary...

but thats one of the best WR corps we'll see atleast?

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar