The 2007 draft..................

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by bongo59, Jan 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bongo59

bongo59 Starter

I think we can make this forum absolutely the best site for all draft info...............I have told Jeff that I will post everything I hear here............I will break things out in separate threads based upon draft snipets.............ie.............the info i get in Mobile will be in "Senior Bowl" and the info I obtain in Indy in the "combine forum................If there is anyone else who is active in this process please collaborate.............this is the key to make this site a dynamo for all things drafting.................I would suggest that any fan can do this.............we can us folks who have Sirius post things that are being said there and we can have those facts checked on the ground with this site being ground zero.................if there are facts rumors info no matter how esoteric or illlogical ask it..............it likely will mean something to someone and how it may shape a team or roster................since Jeff has allowed us to try this great experiment here in this forum I want to be the first to say thank you...............

This forum should not be confrontational among posters it should be collaborative..............moreover we will agree to disagree about players.............we all have are preconcieved notions about players and what we need...............my goal for my posting here will be to shine light on the process of how teams do it.............and even show you how certain teams differ from each other using the same process and show examples and at times give you a historical backround to certain characteristics that make one team look for certain players..............................I have been involved in this process for close to twenty yrs now..............i got a feel for how it works but I dont know it all and dont believe I got it all down.................but I do think experience is a great teacher at times.................other times it hurts and a new way of looking at things is more correct...............this was evidence last yr when a new FO in Buffalo changed things up a bit and took a S real high..............many dissed them.................but I thought back to how MArv Levy drafted in KC and early in Buffalo..............and his move made perfect sense.............but I forgot to factor in his effect on Buffalo front office since he was the real GM and not the coach.............he made similiar moves in the past................this is but one example of what experience can do for this process......................I think when you are a draft junkie like I am, and one who knows the history of the draft, combined with some of the more technical and esoteric things that surround it................it is a difficult process to fully understand.............but I think much like most things in the world..............one can make order from the disorder that it appears to be from the surface...........that is how scientist study our universe and they make sense of it slowly one concept at a time until the sum of the parts is greater than any individual concept...............this is how trades are done in Indy.......................the draft is littered with collassal mistakes and understanding the failures sometimes is more important than understanding the winners...............because the winners often but not always won becaus eof shear statistics..............see the Steeler drafts from 1969-74 as the greatest example............and the Pats draft from 96-2000 as the second great example......................

My goal is to get the info out.............so this forum can crunch it dissect it and decipher it.........editorializing it is fine too................it may open new doors...................the goal is discuss the info and stimulate thread discussion to drive traffic................the more the merrier..................we should look at this as our experiment........................

If I fail to live up to this just PM me............sometimes I do get a bit carried away with info................but what I hear and other times I miss on things that later become very important........I like unfiltered info....................one, because it is how it happens............but it sometimes causes disturbance in a forum such as this because it causes turbulance and a pardigm shift that may challenge what you really think about a thing or situation................that is OK, because that is how it really happens...................just dont take things to heart.............lets discuss them..................that is why it is important for others to look at it with their own eyes and mind................because the variety will give new ideas and perspectives on what it might mean for someones roster and ultimate outcome............................and in the end when the process is done.........I think you can go back and look at what was posted and see there really is an order to the chaotic process...............and then next yr you will be a better analyst in deciphering what really matters and what does not......................

2. bongo59

bongo59 Starter

and with that said let it begin....................the BB tree will change this draft.............I think a team............not sure yet who it will be is going to hire a very young staff............and that staff is going to do some very unconventional things..............the guy who is likely to do this is Mart Shottenhiemers son Brian...............He learned from his dad to be fundamentally sound but he also learned what not to do seeing his dad failures in the playoffs...............his dads 5-12 playoff record made him look differently at things that killed his dad.............it turned out it was his risk adverse nature and the WCO................so Brian about 10 yrs ago began assembling the best of each WCO and amalgamated it to one offense and he has been making it seemeless ever since...............he now got his first chance in NY and what he did with the Jet O with a serious lack of playmakers was remarkable...................credit Mangini for hiring him at 33 yrs old.................Well this AM the Fins askes for permission to talk with him.....................what will Mangini do?

I wonder what the answer will be from Hofstra.............will it be BB like and rebuff a division rival or will Mangini allow his junior assistant to go out like he did......................?

The Miami Dolphins have asked the Jets for permission to speak to offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer about their head-coaching vacancy, a league official told The Star-Ledger last night.

The official requested anonymity because of the sensitive nature of the discussions.

The Jets are expected to grant Schottenheimer permission and he'll likely interview with the Dolphins in the coming days. Ron Colangelo, the Jets' vice president of public relations, was unavailable for comment.

Schottenheimer, 33, did an excellent job with the Jets this season in his first year as an offensive coordinator and figures to be a hot head-coaching candidate.

Schottenheimer, the son of Chargers head coach Marty Schottenheimer, ran an innovative no-huddle offense that included an array of personnel packages, formations, motions and shifts. He played to the strengths of his players and found ways to incorporate nearly all of his skill players in the offense.

His personnel packages kept opposing defenses off-balance and his different formations, motions and shifts forced opponents to make pre-snap adjustments that kept them on their heels. Schottenheimer's game plans were creative and ever-changing and seemed to include a new wrinkle each week. They attacked the weaknesses of the defense rather than simply playing to the Jets' strength.

Furthermore, the Jets offense clicked despite the lack of a consistent running game. Schottenheimer often used a series of short, dump-off passes as a substitute for the run.

"They have a lot of different personnel groups," Patriots coach Bill Belichick said last week before his team's 37-16 victory in an AFC wild-card game Sunday at Gillette Stadium. "It's hard to see the play until the ball is actually snapped and a lot of times you can't recognize it until after the play has started.

"It definitely limits the anticipation because they give you so many different looks ... and they execute well. They disguise things well."

Schottenheimer has refused to put a name on his offense but it comes from the Chargers, Chiefs and Rams family of the West Coast offense.

I wonder what the answer will be

The Miami Dolphins have asked the Jets for permission to speak to offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer about their head-coaching vacancy, a league official told The Star-Ledger last night.

The official requested anonymity because of the sensitive nature of the discussions.

The Jets are expected to grant Schottenheimer permission and he'll likely interview with the Dolphins in the coming days. Ron Colangelo, the Jets' vice president of public relations, was unavailable for comment.

Schottenheimer, 33, did an excellent job with the Jets this season in his first year as an offensive coordinator and figures to be a hot head-coaching candidate.

Schottenheimer, the son of Chargers head coach Marty Schottenheimer, ran an innovative no-huddle offense that included an array of personnel packages, formations, motions and shifts. He played to the strengths of his players and found ways to incorporate nearly all of his skill players in the offense.

His personnel packages kept opposing defenses off-balance and his different formations, motions and shifts forced opponents to make pre-snap adjustments that kept them on their heels. Schottenheimer's game plans were creative and ever-changing and seemed to include a new wrinkle each week. They attacked the weaknesses of the defense rather than simply playing to the Jets' strength.

Furthermore, the Jets offense clicked despite the lack of a consistent running game. Schottenheimer often used a series of short, dump-off passes as a substitute for the run.

"They have a lot of different personnel groups," Patriots coach Bill Belichick said last week before his team's 37-16 victory in an AFC wild-card game Sunday at Gillette Stadium. "It's hard to see the play until the ball is actually snapped and a lot of times you can't recognize it until after the play has started.

"It definitely limits the anticipation because they give you so many different looks ... and they execute well. They disguise things well."

Schottenheimer has refused to put a name on his offense but it comes from the Chargers, Chiefs and Rams family of the West Coast offense.

3. i read this at school and didnt have enough time to respond but this is a great idea

4. bongo59

bongo59 Starter

I think we should sticky this thread..............so everyone sees our goals..............

5. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

6. PAtitansfan53

PAtitansfan53 Kush & OJ

Yeah great idea....I'm definetly a draft junkie and just football overall college nfl doesn't matter I love it. Yes I'm only 16 but I know a lot about football and the draft which i've been following since I can remember. I go on to about 20 different mock draft sites a day just checking up on what people think and come up with my own opinion and what I think about this guy or that guy. I'll definetly being a frequent poster of info I whatch all the senior bowl stuff prac, game and the combine so I know what I'm doing even though I haven't been doin it for 20 years.

7. Bobo

Bobo Guest

I love the draft, and I'm interested in any info I can read on it.

8. titansfan9

titansfan9 Camp Fodder

I'll help- I love the draft. Its exciting- a team's future determined in two days of pretty hoping and praying that your scouts did the best they could and that you aren't making the wrong decision...

9. TitanGuy

TitanGuy Hey, Mama Rock Me...

Great outline, i like it a lot.

10. Snookus

Snookus YA DIGGGG

Can't wait.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar