Texans on need versus best available

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by NewsGrabber, Feb 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewsGrabber

NewsGrabber Guest

<p><em>Posted by ESPN.com's Paul Kuharsky</em></p> <p>INDIANAPOLIS - Mad Mike, the AFC South Blog's most devoted reader and consistent contributor, jumped on my offer at the start of the combine to chime in with a question.</p> <blockquote> <p>Paul: I would like to have you ask the Texans Smith or Kubiak about the difficulty in taking the best available player versus drafting for need? It has to be awfully tempting to take a guy that may be rated slightly lower than another player because you have a need at that position when you should clearly take the higher rated player on your board... Thanks.......MM</p> </blockquote> <p>Mike, I took your question to Texans general manager Rick Smith and here's what he said:</p> <blockquote> <p>You assess value, certain positions have more value to them from a standpoint of how good a player he is and what round you think he should be drafted in. You let your board take you through there. If you draft for need, you're much more inclined to reach.</p> <p>What we try to do is affect value by round. And if you find yourself in a position where you have two players who are rated in the same round, and if you've got one at a need position, you do so. If not, you look at the second layer of value, what position might be more valuable at that point. Then you take that player.</p> <p>I don't think you should draft based on need because you're more inclined to reach and take a player outside the value you've set.</p> </blockquote>

More...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar