Tennessee Titans Wide Receiver Woes

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Aug 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blazing Arrow

Blazing Arrow The 12th man

So your huge changes are a "good backup", and "old center" and a complete overhaul of a system that gave up 68 sacks. So of all of that your starting group picked up an old center and a new system? :hmm:

and it is different then the stuff you said in your other post?

the year Carr did not start the entire season?

My 1st Post

Have you made one on topic post in this thread? No.

I believe that is checkmate my bovine friend? :winker:

2. smili

smili Starter

I disagree with the premise that playing Troupe outside indicates weakness at WR. I'm thinking Troupe goes to the slot because he's going to cause huge mis-match problems, and we have two other good TE who can also be on the field. It's as much about the strength/quality of our TE that we want to get them all on the field. Poor reciever performance last year was also a function of everyone being hurt.

We don't have a true #1. Drew and Givens make a decent set of wideouts, and I have confidence that Roby or Roydell or Wade can step in to be their game this year to be a contributor when needed. (I'm assuming Brandon Jones will be out this year - or if used only sparingly).

3. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I think you're dead on here. Troupe brings something unique to the game and it would be insane to pour him into some established TE mold when the Titans should be taking advantage of his skills. Chow needs to find ways to utilize Troupe by creating as many mismatches as he can. You want to use a corner? Then get ready for him to use his size to get open and break tackles after the catch. How bout a LB? The the speed and athleticism will get you.

4. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

I agree, I think this is more of attempt by the coaches to get the hugely talented Troupe more involved in the offense rather than an indictment of a receiving corps that is perhaps a little weaker than we all would like. I’m sure there’s at least some frustration that the glimpses of greatness that Troupe has tantalized them with, hasn’t as of yet, manifested itself into consistent production.

Trading Chris Brown to Denver for Ashley Lelee would be more of an indication of the team's dissatisfaction with the way the WR's are progressing. Hopefully that doesn't happen.

With just 4 days of training camp and zero preseason games under their belt I would think a lot these perceived problems at wideout will resolve themselves as a couple of the younger guys step up over the next few weeks. Perhaps that’s wishful thinking, but it’s August and damn it, I choose to be wishful :smile:

5. Bobo

Bobo Guest

It's a good thing stats aren't everything.

6. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Well, how many true #1 receivers can you can find in this league today? In my mind there are very few true #1 receivers these days. Offences have become good at spreading the ball around eliminating the need for a #1 receiver.

Just look at arguably one of the best passing teams the last 5 years, the Patriots, they have/had a bunch of #2 and #3 receivers but no #1.

7. Bobo

Bobo Guest

I think we could all live with 3 Super Bowl rings and no #1 WR ;) Or even a dominant RB for that matter.

8. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Here's the thing. Most of use see what the Titans had last season (Bennett in his first years as the #1, gimpy Calico, three rookies) and this unit looks dramatically improved with the addition of Givens, Wade and the rookies with a year under their belts). But they remain unproven especially from a consistency standpoint though the potential is clearly there.

9. Blazing Arrow

Blazing Arrow The 12th man

True dat!:ha:

If Troupe can make a presence for himself with his hands this season, it should help our receiver core immensely. With Troupe, Bennett, and Givens; Volek should have allot of solid options. If he can make the reads fast enough and stay on his feet we should really not need a typical #1 receiver to function as a solid passing unit.

10. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

They were dissing Troupe in The Tennessean for a "bad drop" yesterday. I hope he gets good at the slant. Man o man- the possibilities.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar