Tennessee Titans Wide Receiver Woes

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Aug 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fitantitans

fitantitans This space For Rent

The Titans have always relied on their TEs as receivers. Wycheck was the top recv'r for how many years? 5? Last year, a TE was our top recv'r, no brainer there. The Titans NOT relying on their TEs as recv'rs would be news to me.

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

The offense was geared to throw to the TE when the Titans were down by 20 points? Often times, the ball went to a TE because the defense was pulling back their safeties and allowing it to be the only open option. Other times, the Titans had WRs hurt or they were just unproductive.

My point is that a dink to the TE is great when it results in a first down or TD when the game is close. Often times last season, it was the result of there not being any other options and the offense was never able to get back into games.

I think we'll continue to see that but the Titans have to do a much better job getting the ball to WRs more than three yards past the LOS.

Every team in the league has turnovers and penalties which impact their stats.

I'm going into the season optimistic about our WRs but I can see where many might feel our WR unit isn't anything to fear right now. On paper, it's probably the least talented group in the AFC. Let's hope that all changes.

3. Broken Record

Broken Record Biscuit Eater Staff

It seemed like Wycheck was always leading the team, but actually I think he was only the leading receiver for two years, 97 and 98. Also, our leading receiver last year was Drew Bennett (58 rec for 738 yds), but Kinney and Troupe were both right behind him.

4. fltitan

fltitan Guest

At times last year we had receivers open down the field but McNair chose to dump it to a TE. I think part of that was his lack of coinfidence in anyone other than Bennett, part was not getting his timing down with the new receivers and part the OL. It also makes the stats look good and makes for a much better QB rating. I'm a (was before he became a Raven) McNair fan but part of the problem was him, I'm not blaming him but to many times he didnt try to make the tight throw down the field.

5. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Where did you get those rankings? Are you seriously telling me Jacksonville's #2 guy is better than Bennet/Givens (depending who you have as our #2)? I would totally disagree with that.
    Houston have a great duo in Moulds and Johnson, but they still have David "Run for your life" Carr and a pathetic O-line, I'm not so sure they will have as much success as the WR duo should warrant.

6. Overalls

Overalls Starter

Pathetic is pretty harsh considering they did a better job of run blocking than the Titans line did. What have the Titans done to improve their line. They lost two tackles and picked up an old center. The Texans picked up 2 high quality draft picks, a good back up, an old center and a complete overhall of system. The system change itself will improve line play. True our lines pass blocking was bad last year, but we have done something to improve ours.

7. Blazing Arrow

Blazing Arrow The 12th man

I can not see how Matt Jones who had 36 rec 432 yrds and 5 TDs who is the Jags #1 is ranked above Givens or Bennett for that matter. Both had better numbers. Yes Matt was a rookie but that also means he was lining up as the #2 or usually the #3 and not always covered by a CB. Bennett had the top CB on him on almost every play last season and he still out produced him.

Now you take Matt Jones and remove Smith from the picture and you get a second year guy that Jags fans admit does not run a crisp route. I would hardly justify calling him a #1. That is like touting L White as ROY already. The guy has allot to prove and to have him out rank Bennett or Givens who are both veterans is ridiculous. Maybe after this season but that is a guess at best on how he will handle the top CBs in the league.

Then to put Wilford above Bennett is also a stretch. He has not really produced as a receiver yet. He was Jacksonville’s #2 last season and only pulled in 41 receptions but played in all 16 games. Bennett still have better rec and yard numbers but not the TDs and played in 3 less games. The Jags would not keep drafting WRs #1 if they did not think they had issues in that position.

I am not saying our guys are great but that ranking is a joke.

8. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

we lost one tackle. upgraded center. and we already have a zone blocking system(which the texans are changing to) the guards lost weight to increase their mobility.

have fun relying on two rookie tackles to keep your qb up-right. it should be fun to watch. now, if the texans had made the right first round pick and chose d'brickishaw ferguson, you might have something there.

9. Smart***Titan

Smart***Titan Camp Fodder

OK, first of all, I like our receivers, but... you have to look at them from a realistic standpoint. Givens and Bennett are not proven #1 receivers, yet. Bobby "the human fumble machine" Wade, for all the talk we are hearing about him, was cut by the Bears. Let that sink in for a moment. The BEARS. They had a horrible passing offense, led by a rookie QB, or a sucky QB until Grossman came back in. Of course that is going to skew statistics for a receiver, but wouldn't it make more sense if they thought that Wade had some upside besides punt return duty (which he failed miserably at as some posters continue to ignore) that they would keep him on the team? They are obviously in need of quality receivers, especially last year when their top rookie receiver went down. I hope Wade pans out, but I won't hold my breath. No one else is proven. Our second year guys showed some flashes last year, but no one was exactly lighting it up like Steve Smith. And don't get me started on Calico. Our guys are better than they are going to get credit for, but as I said, from a realistic standpoint, none of our receivers are going to be on the preseason all-madden team. Of course who cares what Madden has to say?

10. Blazing Arrow

Blazing Arrow The 12th man

Allowing the second most sacks ever by a team is not "bad pass blocking" it is right up there with the worst pass blocking in history. Funny how you pick up "old center" and it improves your line and we pick up an "old center" and we have no improvement. Quality draft picks or not they are still two rookies being thrown to the lions. I would be surprised if Carr does not top his sack performance of last season.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar