Tennessee Titans' Smashmouth Approach Could Pay Off

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by The Playmaker, May 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kenny

kenny Starter

I agree an improved run game helps everyone. I do not think anyone questions that.

The problem is; in a day when more & more teams are scoring 28 + points a game can a power running team keep up? If you can start fast & get ahead, maybe. However, the ride the clock and play not to lose concept is out dated. Teams today are playing to win the game from the start to finish. Back in the Mularkey Days, it wasn't uncommon to see a team up by 2 TDs and start to ride the clock. Teams often left TDs on the field. Today we see BLOW OUT wins by 20+ points. We see this because the NFL has become more pass oriented. Teams are game planning to score early, often, and as frequently as possible. Teams are spending crazy money on Passing QBs, Deep Threat WRs; and are not nearly as concerned with the RB position.

SOME teams are winning with a power run game. However, they are doing this with GREAT defenses that have top tier CBs getting the ball back; & top tier pass rushers taking QBs accuracy away. We have a long way to go in that aspect. They also have HCs that utilize the players innovatively. There are elements of the coaches game that make you want to emulate what they are doing. I honestly say that no HC in the league is looking to Mularkey & saying, I want to model part of my team after what he is doing.

I like what Robinson is doing. He is trying to get rid of players who are here collecting a check. I believe in that. I do not agree with every pick he made. The fact is, he has to change the mentality of the players before he can improve the results. I honestly believe that. Once he has everyone on board WANTING to be better; then he can pick up some guys who may have questionable character. At that point there will be leaders who are capable of keeping that kid in line. Right now I do not believe there is a single player capable, or willing to do that for the team.

WOW. Really got on a rant there........sorry.

Long story short: I believe in what Robinson is doing. I do not believe the team will ever break through with Mularkey as HC. I HOPE I am wrong. I will be HAPPY to eat crow if I am.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. Thaddeus43

Thaddeus43 Sunshiner President

People act like drafting 1 RB means we are neglecting the rest of the offense... we already have Mariota, DGB, Walker and Wright. Investments have already been made in that area, and we have plenty of talent to have a good passing attack.

Adding a running game will only help that. I highly doubt we just forget those players because we actually have a couple decent RB now.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  3. kenny

kenny Starter

I cannot say how much I disagree with that. This team has not, and still does not have a WR1. None of our WRs last year had more production than DGB who had less than 600yds. It was not because Walker was so dominant at TE. Walker was dominant at TE because he had to be. There were literally no other options on passing downs.

DGB - Has the raw tools to be a WR1, but still needs to show he is committed to doing so. Does he have the desire to be great? Did he work during the off season to be better?? Big question mark. He came into camp again this year with a tweaked hamstring. So will he again use that as an excuse to be behind knowing the offense. I love his size & potential, but this team needs RESULTS.

Wright - Appears to have regressed and did not play with passion at all last year IMO. Even in interviews he just seemed uninterested in being a leader for this team. Falls down WAY too much. When he does catch the ball he makes silly decisions. Watched him take the ball back behind the 1st down line far too many times last year trying to break off a big play; when we really needed a 1st down. Last year he seemed down. Let injuries some guys would of played through take him out of several games.

Walker - The one bright spot on the offense outside of Marcus. He was playing hard until the end. Yet he is aging. What will our passing attack be like when the one player who actually get yardage goes down, or loses a step?? He is not getting any younger.

I am not trying to be combative, but this WR group is far from talented. It has been the weak link (Besides the Oline) in the offense for years. This team has GOT to find a WR who can produce. Hopefully Matthews will contribute. We CANNOT go into this year starting Wright & Douglas at WR1 & WR2!! The passing game is going NO where with 2 slot receivers starting on the outside. We desperately NEED DGB to turn into a WR1. There is no one else on the team at WR with the potential to be a WR1.

4. kenny

kenny Starter

I agree they made investments, they just HAVE NOT been good investments to this point.

5. JR1980

JR1980 Pro Bowler

Make no mistake...we will suck for another year or two...This year, it was about changing the mentality and foundation...Next year and after, we go for spark plugs and take risks a bit. Yes, we are that bad

6. xhrr

xhrr Starter

You want instant gratification. This team won three games. We have too many holes to be filled in one single offseason.

• High Five High Five x 2
  7. kenny

kenny Starter

INSTANT????? How long is acceptable to wait for this team to find a WR1????

THAT is what the post I wrote revolves around. This team has not had a legit WR1 for a decade!!

8. xhrr

xhrr Starter

Well you also talked about this year as well and me worrying about the past decade isn't something I'm going to waste my time on when all that really matters is the upcoming season. Either hope DGB is or wait until next offseason cause you aren't getting one between now and then via cut or trade.

9. Clark

Clark #ShoutboxAlley4Life

[​IMG]

Top passing percentage teams in the league.

Let's take out the top three and bottom three, 4 thru 11.

Now let's get a combined win/loss record of these teams - 43 and 85.

2 play off teams in the top 14, Patriots and Steelers.

The rest

Mia 6-10
    Bal 5-11
    SD 4-12
    NO 7-9
    Cle 3-13
    Oak 7-9
    Ind 8-8
    Ten 3-13

A lot can be said that the "passing league" is a bit over blown. These teams are passing like this because they are losing. Sure there are outliers such as the patriots- but the general consensus is that too much passing is a sign of a losing team.

#79 Clark, May 16, 2016
    Last edited: May 16, 2016
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  10. Clark

Clark #ShoutboxAlley4Life

[​IMG]

Heaviest rushing teams-

8 play off teams.

Soooooo

• High Five High Five x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar