Tennessee Titans roster cuts, 2017

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by A.D., Sep 1, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Why would you say there was a reason he fell in the draft...if you don't know what it is!?

And speak for yourself about what freaks you out at the combine. Adore probably put up something close to that and I was a bit disappointed!

I'd freak out if Davis ran a 4.30 40 at his current size and had a vertical of 45"!!!

2. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Uh oh! So much for not letting the cat out of the bag. We open up this pandora box but won't tell our own cbs who is starting???

3. abc2330

abc2330 Pro Bowler

Lol, how many receivers are capable of that? Julio is as much of a freak as there is at the current time, and he can't touch those numbers.

McBride's performance was just as good or better than that of Sammy Watkins at the combine, who is considered very athletic by NFL standards. And he was considered a fundamental sound receiver with good hands. So there is something that none of us are aware of that all 32 teams obviously were. Maybe he is like DGB when it comes to running routes and learning the playbook.

4. Zack3000

Zack3000 Special Teams Standout

But how many teams had a return for touchdown in last 6 or 7 years since weems last.

Marani had 560 average of 21.5

Weems 24.4 is just 3 yards better.

Such a huge upgrade on kick returns.

Edit..... weems had 17 returns for 391 which had him at 23 per return

So 2.5 yards more

#174 Zack3000, Sep 6, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2017
  5. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

26.9 in 15' was 7th in the league.

So I went back to 2012 when tennesse last had a KR/PR TD when Reynard had 3 (2 KR/1 PR), but with a little more research I can go back further. That year 30 total returns for TD.
    For the sake of numbers here, I merged KR and PR TD together.

2016 - 17 total TD returns 9 teams.
    2015 - 19 total TD returns 14 teams.
    2014 - 19 total TD returns 12 teams.
    2013 - 20 total TD returns 12 teams.
    75 total or 19 per year.

Over that span, 7 teams had zero - NYJ, TEN, CIN, SD, OAK, TB, and SF.
    6 had 1 - Ind, NO, Atl, Car, NE, and Dal.

Certain teams clearly have better ST, not just specific players:
    KC had 9, Min - 9, PHI - 8, Det/Stl/Balt - 4.
    Subtract 2 per year KC/Min/Phi (6) and 1 per year Det/Stl/Balt (3) leaves 10 returns per year for 26 teams.

I really only bring up these stats to show I don't think it matters who our KR/PR is. With the exception of a couple superstar players (tyreek hill, Patterson, sproles, Sherels, Dwayne Harris, Austin, Antonio brown or Mykah Hyde - all had 3+) then I think the likelihood to get TD returns is more on the actual team ST or on some PR, dumb luck. (Patterson and sherels were both on Minnesota, so 25 teams didn't have a superstar returner)

Is Weems the guy to start getting us return TD? Probably not.
    Is he statistically an improvement from Mariani? Yes.
    Has out ST improved enough that anyone that returns has a chance at a TD? Remains to be seen.
    Is Adoree Jackson the possible threat that will actually be returning? Probably, at least for punts. Not sure if he will be KR too.
    All that said, Weems is still only a backup returner that also proves a valuable gunner.

Weems's overall value shouldn't be based solely on returns for TD or WR skills, but he has shown some value.
    I don't have an issue signing a depth WR and TE. We didn't have them for most of last year and when we did, they were very sparingly used, but at the expense of the 11th LB or 37th DB, no problem signing one.

Have zero issue with McBride being gone though.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

That was nice breakdown. Good post.

Except the part about McBride. We threw away our investment in that guy. We were developing him and he flashed nicely that he was becoming something more valuable than Weems or Douglas. I'm cool agreeing to disagree on that issue with you. It will interesting to watch what he does in Chicago with Trubisky. I think we're going to regret letting him go about week 4-6 when we have to bring a PS WR to the 53 man because we're injured.

• High Five High Five x 2
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 2
  7. Dangermode

Dangermode A New Era has Begun

Uh no. He's 5'10" and has speed to stretch the field or be a decoy and take defenders away from the action. Far away.

Desean Jackson is 5'10". Nuff said.

8. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

This would be a lot easier to discuss if you knew what you were talking about.

Julio can't touch those numbers? Really?!?!?

Julio Jones at his combine ran a 4.39 40 with a 38.5" vertical...so he very much 'touched' those numbers. Much more impressively, he did that while being 6'3" and weighing 220lbs!!! McBride is only 6' and weighed 210lbs. McBride's numbers for his size are good. At Julio's size they are very good.

Then look at Obi Melifonwu who is taller and heavier than Julio (6'4 and 224lbs) and ran a 4.40 40 with a crazy 44" vertical and a big broad jump. But an even better freak was Myles Garrett. At 6'4 and 272lbs, he ran a 4.64 40 which is excellent and had a ridiculous 41" vertical (beating both McBride and Julio while outweighing them by 50-60lbs)! Byron Jones - the Dallas Safety - had nearly 45" vert the previous combine and set a WORLD RECORD in the broad jump at his combine. John Ross breaking the 40 dash record while pulling up injured is also freakish.

4.40 and 38" vert for a 6' 210lb wr? Not freakish - just good.

And btw, you need to wrap your head around the fact that athletics in gym shorts isn't the same as on the field play.

And when you're a 4th round prospect at a position with a gazillion guys, some of those players simply won't get drafted due to numbers. Doesn't mean he's not worth a 4th round pick...just that no one took him.

Lastly, I agree that a top 10 pick is more valueable than the #33 pick, but the #33 pick is a premiere pick in any draft as you can get a first round talent or get a second round talent and pickup another 3rd or 4th round pick if you want to trade down since you ALWAYS will have trade partners. It is a coveted pick. So to get that wrong is not good!

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  9. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Why wouldn't we just use Taylor instead of Jackson? Jackson has more homerun speed, but he also needs to focus on becoming a top NFL CB - which is a lot more valuable than giving him 5 plays a game on offense.

And he's not close to DeSean Jackson's speed and acceleration.

• Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  10. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Uh no. WR's go over the middle. He'll be injured if used as a true WR. He will be used on a few gadget plays.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar