Tennessee Titans Positional Review: RB/FB

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Feb 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

Chris Johnson sux!

• High Five High Five x 3
  2. UCTITAN

UCTITAN Starter

qb a bigger issue than rb.

3. Brew City

Brew City Case Race Champion

In before 20th 40 page thread about cutting CJ.

• High Five High Five x 1
  4. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

You mean there are others going already?

:gaah:

5. Dman

Dman Pro Bowler

Good read TJ. I am actually on the fence with this because of the "potential" factor. That cap hit is huge and wish he would take a pay cut cause he needs to but he already said no to that so I agree with you and I believe the Titans will release him. We can get a good rb but I do not think they will be better than what CJ was but that is history now.

I am more concerned if CJ goes to a rival with a good offensive line and good O coordinator not named Lowgains where they may use CJ in the correct manner. Our offensive play calling was terrible last year as well as the oline which were somewhat factors in his decline but the effort still has to fall on him at some point.

6. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

Current Backs:

Chris Johnson - Cut him. Not trying to get into a huge debate, because we have those for 12 other threads. Simply, he's a good-average RB, making elite money, in a pass happy league. It's time of a change of scenery, for both sides.

Jackie Battle - Let go. He's nothing special.

Leon Washington - Nothing more than a returner.

Shonn Greene - Keep him. He does get paid a little too much, but he can be a 1000 yard back for around 3 mil vs CJs 10 mil. He's good to grind out the run inbetween the guards and tiring out the defense. He needs to get healthy however, and stay healthy.

Colin Mooney - I love Colin. If Whiz wants a lead blocking FB, then we need to keep him. He used Le'Ron McClain in SD for this, so he'll likely want to keep Colin.

DRAFT:
    Early Round (2nd-3rd): Plenty of options here. My favorite three are Ka'Deem Carey, Tre Mason, and Carlos Hyde. I believe all three can be successful backs in the NFL. Right now Ka'Deem Carey is my favorite. If we wanted one of these guys, we'd have to take them with our 2nd round pick.

Mid Round (4th-5th): Still plenty of options. Very likely we look for a RB here. My favorites are Terrance West, Andre Williams, De'Anthony Thomas, and Marion Grice. Grice has amazing hands and would a poor mans Gio Bernard. Thomas would also be fun, but I wouldn't count on him for 10+ carries a game. He's more of a returner/slot/speedback type of guy.

Late Round (6th-7th): Teams have found RBs who produce year one in these rounds. My favorites would be Antonio Andrews, Tyler Gaffney, and Storm Johnson. Andrews put up some #s at WKU, but that doesn't always translate to the NFL. Storm was a part of Bortles offense and looked impressive, could be a steal.

RBs will seperate more after the combine. I wouldn't be mad if we took a 2nd round RB and paired him up with DeAnthony Thomas in the 5th. Multiple RBs are an option in this draft, we have other needs - but it wouldn't surprise me.

FREE AGENTS:
    I don't want us to target any FA RBs, as they can be found for cheaper in the draft. But here are some names: Ben Tate, Knowshon Moreno, Andre Brown, Blount, McFadden, Jones-Drew, Donald Brown, Joique Bell, Mendenhall, & Toby Gerhart.

There's some talent there, but again - I don't really want to pay any of them.

7. xpmar9x

from another thread ----

I'll hold off my final rankings until after the combine, but right now I see RBs as:
    #1 - Bishop Sankey
    #2 - Carlos Hyde
    #3 - Tre Mason
    #4 - Ka'Deem Carey
    #5 - Lache Seastrunk

Likely will very different after the combine. But from the YouTube clips/games I've seen, i'd rank them as this - right now. Seastrunk could easily be #1 by the end of the combine.

Late Round Rankings (4th+)
    #1 - Marion Grice
    #2 - Anonio Andrews
    #3 - DeAnthony Thomas
    #4 - Storm Johnson

I feel like we could/should be able to grab two of these guys in the draft. Our first RB with our 2nd round pick, then another with our 5th. We'd have to fill some other needs in free agency before we can do this.

8. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most poverty RB core.

my ideal scenario would to spend about a 4th on a RB, pick up one solid free agent, and keep greene.

9. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

Thats my plan also. I really like the idea of using our 4th or around our 4th on a James White, or Storm Johnsonish type guy. Someone who rounds behind their pads, breaks arm tackles and just moves forward for yards.

Everyone is talking about us signing Joique Bell, Knowshon Moreno, or Rashad Jennings. But all of those guys will cost to much for what I at least believe we need from our 1 of 3 RB's.

Id love for us to split the carries up and go with the hot hand. Keep guys fresh (less likely to be hurt that way). So much like my draft strategy, I belive we need to be looking at the 2nd tier RB's in free agency. Jonathan Dwyer, Ahmad Bradshaw, or even Andre Brown. All of those guys I named have had a lot of success when it was them and 2 other RB's sharing the work.

10. xpmar9x

I would love to pickup someone like Marion Grice/Antonio Andrews with our 4th, then Tyler Gaffney in the 6th. Grice/Andrews give us the dual-threat back, while Gaffney provides the power back to replace Greene (if necessary).

All three backs could get carries.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar