Tennessee Titans 2006 Offseason Preview

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Feb 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goTitans.com

goTitans.com A living legend. Staff

SUMMARY: For the first time in recent years, the Tennessee Titans head into the offseason free from salary cap jail. Yes, they are technically over the cap, but that’s just an accounting formality as they can easily free up many millions of dollars in free cap space. While they will be letting a few players go, it won’t be anything like cutting many high-priced starters in their primes, as we witnessed last year on “Blue Monday”.

On March 3, teams will need to be under the salary cap, which we can conservatively expected to be around $93M in 2006 (it could easily be a few million dollars higher). The Titans got one big move out of the way early by signing defensive end Kyle Vanden Bosch to a new 4-year deal, preventing their best potential free agent from walking away.

http://www.gotitans.com/artman/publish/article_001328.shtml

What do you think about this article? Post your comments below.

2. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Good work Star. I agree with all the moves and for the most part the only question might be what to do with Boiman and Sirmon. Boiman could be worth keeping if he were cheap IMO. Either way we are looking at a scary situation that could point to Reese seriously looking to trade for more picks either from the #3 or the 2nd round pick. We could easily lose both starting safeties and two starting LBs not to mention 3 OL. Add in possibly losing our #2 RB with our #1 not being the most reliable we really have alot of holes to fill.

3. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Very nice work, Jon.

After reading the article, you can see the Titans will have some holes. Even if someone on the current roster steps up to fill the spot, the Titans will have some depth issues after the draft.

4. Thanks. I'll be interested to see where they can agree to new contracts with players, because the current cap rules make that very hard. That's one reason I decided that Henry is more likely to be let go than re-signed to a new contract. Honestly, Sirmon could be difficult to keep as well, but he calls the plays on defense and they will also replace 1 LB, so I think they'll try to keep him.

I think some young players will fill holes. Bell and Stewart could easily start this year, and maybe even Amano. And I'm all for giving Fuller a shot at FS. But we need to find replacements at a few spots like MLB and SS (if Tank is gone).

5. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

What an education. Great article. Thanks for the hard work.

6. Titantonic

Titantonic Camp Fodder

That really puts into perspective all the ideas and questions that have floated around for the past couple months. I, for one, was on the wrong track about how much money the Titans could have to spend. Looks as if it's likely to be in the $3-$4 million range while I was thinking we could have up to $15 million. Still, the front office has shed the load it carried around all last season when so much of the salary cap was paid out in dead money.

Great work, Star.

7. KVB is taking up $4M that he wasn't yet counting for a few weeks ago. And McNair's contract could save us a ton of money if they alter it, though that will surely be too late to add a big name player.

8. nigel

nigel Back on the bus

The only thing I dont agree with is cutting Lamont Thompson. But then my soft spot for Wazzu players is well known.

9. Nigel, if you were GM, we'd be starting Jason Gesser... :ha:

10. Titans2004

Titans2004 Pro Bowler

We will end up saving a very nice chunk of change whichever way Mac's contract talks go. If he restructures we save money and if he is cut we save 9mil....the one thing that I'm sure of is that Mac will not play at his current cap value. Floyd will not pay a guy 9mil for 1 yrs service. It is going to be a game of chicken, but Floyd has the power because he can hold onto Mac until all the other teams fill their QB needs and then cut him if Mac doesn't work with him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar