Ted Sundquist

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Two Kings, Jan 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

Through a blog? From someone who obviously wants to be get a job in the NFL? It was a stupid thing for him to do.

And he'll never work in an NFL front office because of it. Smart.

Yet we have new coordinators and position coaches already and Robinson is going to look at scouting after the draft. The only consistency is Mularkey who the owner felt deserved the chance.

We might all disagree he was deserving but there is nothing illegal or immoral about hiring him.

I don't know what business world you are in but, in all I know, the owner doesn't have to do anything EXCEPT what he/she wants within the guidelines of the law. Don't like it? Don't work for him/her.

If what an owner wants is stupid, or bad for business, then that's their prerogative. Am I totally missing your point?

You equate beating your wife to a GM interview? Seriously?

I must be missing your point.

What are you wanting to see happen? Pitchforks at the gates over at St. Thomas Sports Park?

You don't like what ownership is doing, then the only thing you can do is not support it with your time or money. Period.

It's their total right to handle their interviews however they want within the rules of the NFL. It's THEIR TEAM. That's the meaning of "ownership".

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  2. Two Kings

Two Kings NJ Titan

So we are getting into the weeds and its hard to comment on comments.

My point is not that Ray and Sundquist's article are equal. My point is transparency allows the media and the populous to change decision and results they want.

To use your logic in the Ray Rice case. The NFL and Roger Goodell get to do what they want to because they are the "owners" in this analogy. Your answer is: "Don't like it? Then stop watching NFL" which, IMO is not enough.

Instead, what happened, a video surfaced that showed people what happened. This allowed the people and media to criticize the NFL and Goodell for not taking a harsher discipline. This was especially compounded when they suspended someone for smoking pot around the same time.

The result was a decision change that would otherwise not have happened. The guys who "have the right to make what ever decision they like", will always fold if the heat is on them enough.

Not only was a decision changed, but the whole punishment process has been changed for domestic violence. Everyone has a boss, even owners, even investors.

So my point is two fold:
    Transparency is important
    Proactive Engagement > Disengagement

Its not enough to just disengage with a service you care about in order to make a point. You need a movement to take place and a outcry to improve and see results.

What does that mean in regards to the Titans? We all have a feeling that this ownership is lying or just being lazy. I want to see the media and fan base put heat on this FO so that they can either get their act together or sell the franchise.

The result should be an owner and FO who are doing absolutely EVERYTHING to win a superbowl and build a dynasty, and IMO Sundquist's article helps us do that. Its small right now, but if more things like this happen, it can grow to be a force.

3. TitanJeff

That's about as far a reach as I've seen on this forum for quite some time.

The difference is clearly that beating your wife is illegal while what Sundquist says in his article is not. Not even close.

Again, the Titans may be a poorly-run franchise but they've done nothing illegal.

There are no grounds by anyone to force a sale. What we can do is not give them money which MIGHT lead to a change. But, I suspect, ownership feels firing their HC, GM and a bunch of coaches, in combination with the 25-30% player turnover we're about to see is a lot of change.

Yes. They should be. But, in AAS's mind, she may think she is.

Sundquist's article proves nothing except he lacks the character I'd want as a GM. All the sour grapes articles in the world from coaches or players won't force the owners to sell as long as fans buy seats.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
  4. Two Kings

Two Kings NJ Titan

It sounds like we just disagree fundamentally. You see a guy who is wining, where I see a guy who just went through an interview process and put a review of it on Glassdoor.

And you're absolutely wrong about the Ray Rice incident. Ray Rice avoided jail time. The NFL knew what he did to her, but it is NOT illegal for the NFL to NOT punish him. They own him as a "player" so they can, in your words "Do what they want".

They can punish him however they want, it is their decision. Except it wasn't, because after their decision came out, major media and populous outcry erupted with fury. This was compounded further when the second tape was released.

It was ONLY then that the NFL took his measly 2 game suspension and turned it into a suspension indefinitely. Ravens and NFL claim they never saw the tape, or got an accurate description, but multiple sources confirmed that Ray Rice described exactly what happened that night to them and that they had seen the tape.

It doesn't have to be illegal for a company to feel the pressure to change a decision on how they conduct themselves. We see it all the time.

5. TitanJeff

But you act like it somehow tells us something we didn't already know and that it has some kind of power to change anything. It doesn't.

You seem to think AAS cares about what you or anyone else thinks of her hiring practices. She doesn't.

All Sundquist did was prove to the world why he's not been in an NFL front office the last decade and that he'll likely never get another interview.

Pressure from who? You really need understand how it works.

Profit motivates business. If fans don't buy tickets, she'll eventually feel it. That's the only way to generate change.

• Cheers Cheers x 1
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  6. Two Kings

Two Kings NJ Titan

I don't mean to act like this specific article is going to change everything over night, or anything for that matter. I'm describing that its a positive piece for this industry because of its potential. If more HCs and GMs felt comfortable explaining their experiences and criticizing teams practices, then now we have a forum to find any shady stuff that comes out.

I mentioned the roony rule as an example. I'm really curious what would happen if all of those candidates did a post mortum about their interview experience. I can see a world where it becomes painfully obvious that its a waste of time and maybe even offensive to some of these guys.

The result: media and fan base question the role of the roony rule
    The effect: who knows, maybe nothing, maybe the rule gets changed for the better.

AAS doesn't care right now, correct. Companies hate bad PR though. If they get heat from the press and people, they tend to fold. I'm not saying there is enough "heat" from his article alone.

Pressure from the media and the people (fans and none fans a like)

Fans didn't have to NOT buy NFL merch/tickets for Roger Goodell and Co to reverse their decision on Ray Rice.

Fans of blizzard games didn't have to not buy WoW/Diablo/SC2 for Blizzard to reverse their decision on using people's real names as avatars in game.

Dozens of High School football teams fans didn't have to not pay school taxes in order to get their name changed from "Red skins" to something else.

The list goes on. The point is that money is not always used as a direct line to threat companies/organizations. Bad PR, and pitchforks sometimes is enough. Both of them are best.

7. TitanJeff

Just what shady stuff came from this article? Enlighten us.

You really need to understand that the outcry on the Ray Rice beating was because this was a violent, horrible crime and to connect it to the legal hiring practices of an NFL team is just crazy.

Again, tell us what the Titans did wrong in either of their GM or HC hires?

Note: you and I not agreeing with how it was handled is very much different than whether or not it was illegal or unethical.

Apparently, ownership didn't care enough about it to stick to their guns or they felt it would eventually lead to some not purchasing/playing the game.

Again, profit drives business decisions.

Bad PR eventually always leads to profit loss.

8. Two Kings

Two Kings NJ Titan

Dude lol. That is what I'm saying. I'm not sure if I'm just not making it clear enough, or perhaps we are so far in the mire, that its hard to see each others points.

I'll give this another shot and just try to be as short as possible.

1. Nothing crazy shady came out of the article. The POTENTIAL for future articles like this to unearth shady, odd, or lazy tactics by the teams is there however. Potential. Future. Not this article.

2. The handling of the Titans Hiring Process and the handling of the Ray Rice case were wrong. They can be handled by their ownership however they want but we agree they were handled wrong. Titans didn't do anything illegal. NFL didn't do anything illegal. Both were wrong though.

NFL only changed the way they handled it because of media and populous outcry. NOT because it was illegal. The same tactics can be used to combat the lazyness of Titans ownership. One is very extreme and a lot easier to understand than the other (Ray Rice), but doesn't mean that it can't happen with the Titans FO.

3. Profit drives business decisions. Correct.

"Well, just don't buy tickets" is a direct line threat to money.

Bad PR is an indirect line threat to money. Two different paths, same outcome.

IMO, you need both to make the strongest case necessary.

I'm also proving that indirect line threats to money (Bad PR) can also work by themselves alone, with out threats to stop buying merch.

9. Two Kings

Two Kings NJ Titan

On a side note I don't understand why someone can be so mad at this article. I understand questioning my personal thoughts on its potential and what not, but why are some of you seeing this and wishing it was never even written?

To use a tactic that some have mentioned. If you don't like, don't read it.

10. TitanJeff

Me mad? Nope.

I'm just shocked that anyone thinks it was anything more than some bitter has-been venting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar