Team USA Basketball

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Alpha-Centuri, Jul 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alpha-Centuri

Alpha-Centuri Starter

UPDATED AUG 24TH
    US hoops back on top, beats Spain for gold medal

BEIJING (AP)—Arm-in-arm, they climbed onto the middle of the medals platform, the spot that for so long was U.S. private property.

Some players flashed their Olympic medals to the crowd. One pretended to take a bite, just to make sure it was real.

Yep, it was gold—the color the Americans always used to win but hadn’t since 2000.

Culminating a three-year mission to end years of embarrassment, the U.S. team survived a huge challenge from Spain, winning 118-107 in the gold-medal game Sunday.

Order was restored in international basketball.

“Much respect to Spain, but the U.S. is back on top again,” LeBron James said at a press conference attended by the entire team.

But not by that much anymore.

After overwhelming everyone for seven games, the Americans led by only four points with under 21/2 minutes to play. Then they proved they could handle a close game that it seemed would never come in Beijing.

Their prize: the first U.S. gold medal since the 2000 Sydney Olympics.

Argentina won the bronze with an 87-75 victory against Lithuania.

Dwyane Wade scored 27 points for the Americans, who found a much gamer Spanish team than the one they humiliated by 37 points earlier in the tournament. Kobe Bryant added 20 points.

In a game so devoid of defense that it felt more like an NBA All-Star game than one with a title at stake, the Americans had too much offense down the stretch. Bryant converted a clutch four-point play with 3:10 remaining, holding his finger to his lips to quiet the rowdy Spanish crowd behind the basket.

Wade added another 3-pointer that made it 111-104 with just over 2 minutes left, and only then could the Americans relax a little.

They began to celebrate during a break after some technical fouls on Spain with 26 seconds left, then partied at midcourt when it was over with “Born in the USA” blaring over the arena’s speakers.

“We played with great character in one of the great games in international basketball history, I think,” U.S. coach Mike Krzyzewski said.

Nobody else had been close to the Americans in Beijing. This team’s only Olympic competition had been history, in a Dream matchup with guys named Jordan, Magic, Bird and the rest of the U.S. team that dominated the Barcelona Games in 1992.

Forget comparisons to those guys. The Americans were lucky to be better than Spain on Sunday.

Rudy Fernandez scored 22 points and Pau Gasol had 21 for the Spanish, the reigning world champions who were hoping to win their first Olympic gold.

U.S. players appreciated the challenge, hugging the Spanish players afterward. Bryant had an especially long embrace for Gasol, patting his Los Angeles Lakers teammate on the back.

“They did what they were supposed to do,” Gasol said. “We fought hard all the way.”

Seeming to appreciate the moment, after congratulating Spain, the team joined in a circle, jumping up and down at center court and waving triumphantly to the crowd as Krzyzewski applauded on the sidelines

More Here------------------------------------------------------------------

Our Depth Chart in Beijing is

C- Dwight Howard, Chris Bosh, Tyson Chandler (alternate)
    PF- Carmelo Anthony, Carlos Boozer
    SF- Lebron James, Tayshaun Prince
    SG- Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade, Micheal Redd
    PG- Jason Kidd, Chris Paul, Deron Williams

2. Alpha-Centuri

Alpha-Centuri Starter

3. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

Its about time we're sending a real team over. Should be a gold.

4. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

I still prefer the idea of sending college players over. I forget where I read about it...

5. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

The picked the right team. Take the best players overall if they are willing to come. Enough of chemistry. They just need the best players and we got a lot of them this year. Tayshaun Prince and Redd Excluded to name a couple. We don't need to play euro style. We need to play american. And the same goes for soccer. Enough with playing with these euro transplants on our national team. You gotta guy like adu scoring goals for usa on the under 21 team, you play him. He may not be as skilled as the euro transplant, but he plays american style soccer and it has been working. It seems like usa does best when it plays usa style. We will never recapture the dream team magic. But we can get back to pushing the other countries off the court. We have better players if they play. I still believe that.

6. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

Still think Mike Miller should've made the team.

7. Alpha-Centuri

Alpha-Centuri Starter

Maybe 15 years ago. With the talent at the international level, a college team would get thrashed, even Memphis, Kansas, UNC, Duke, etc.

His only role for Team USA would be a shooter, which isn't bad to have. Micheal Redd shoots just as well imo, and is more versatile. If Tyson Chandler can't recover, he might make it as the alternate though anyway. :))

8. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

Michael Redd is more of a scorer than a shooter. Miller is a shooter. Miller would be the best 3 point shooter on the team.

9. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

We've done that before. Or at least I thought we did? Maybe it was the summer games.

10. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

I don't remember, but I read an article about it right after the last olympics that I really agreed with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar