Team Needs and the Future

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by ScotTitan, Apr 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ScotTitan

ScotTitan Starter

As we inch closer to the 2011 nfl draft, I wanna take a momnet to look at how far we are off being a playoff/champ team. Last year after the draft, I admit I thought we would be a playoff team, and at 5-2 I was very excited about this team, I still am to an extent.
    Looking at the team now, we have massive holes on o-line,d-line and QB. Myself and other mockers on this site seem to be trying to fit all our team needs into one draft, where in reality its hard. Munch has at least 2 full off-seasons to put a winning team on the field. I'm gonna help him out here I go through what I see as our team needs. These needs are be satisfied hopefully in this draft, but to be honest I expect a similar 6-10 season next year where we will have a high draft picks, and comps (Tulloch,Babin)

QB: Personally, I'm sold on Mallett and see him as the pocket passer we are looking for. Hopefully a second rounder QB, if not, there is a fine group of qb's next year due enter the draft. Signing vet for a year could be an option.

O-line: I think we need to rebuild the centre of the line. I am willing to let Scott have another year at RG, if he could stop the stupid fouls he could go a long way in redeeming himself. Harris and Amano can beat it! In this years draft I like Kirkpatrick(C) late on in the draft, and Rackley(LG) 3-4th round.

WR: I loved the Damian Williams pick last year, and loved what I saw from the kid before he was stupidly replaced by the returning Gage last year. Britt is obviously awesome, Washington is okay and worth keeping. We need one more reciever here, there seems to be a lot of good reciever this year especially in the middle rounds, Gates,Little,Salas and Brown are four guys I like. We could defiently wait till next year to add this piece.

TE:Depth. Cook and Stevens. Excellent duo going foward.

DT: I think we need two DT's. Jones is gonna be moved to DE I think. Marks and Brown as depth, but we could definetly use two big DT's in middle. Fairley is an option. I like Austin's size and speed in the second round this year. I feel we need two starters though, however Marks could progress enough to start.

LB: I have McGrath as the only starter I would be willing to keep around. I like WW and his attitude but he's getting on.Tulloch will get more money somewhere else. I like Curran and would be willing to try him at MLB next season. We need help here, Von Miller would superb this year, there are a couple of LB's this year I would consider drafting. Bruce Carter(OLB) would be great.

SS: Hope flat out stinks. Has one more year left. Let him win his spot in preseason against the young guys that we invested draft picks in last year. If not SS is a big need next year.

2. citizenthom

citizenthom Rookie

You forgot CB. I'm not buying the love-fest for Verner, and our depth is pretty horrid. For all the praise for Cortland, the on-field numbers say "crappy secondary." When your D-line gets you 40 sacks, you should not be giving up 250+ through the air.

The hate for our D-line is frankly puzzling. Morgan will be back next year and we have three solid rotational guys with him (four if you count Jones as a run-stopping DE). Marks still has a couple years to develop in the middle, and Brown and Jones are fine starters (as long as Brown stays healthy next season). Another DT would be fine if a good one falls to us.

I wholeheartedly agree about our interior O-line. I'd be ecstatic if we could trade out of the #8 spot and pick up Wisniewski or Pouncey, plus one of the underrated DTs like Stephen Paea or a CB like Brandon Harris.

3. ScotTitan

ScotTitan Starter

CB- I hated the way Finnigan played most of last year but he is a good player, maybe not the elite shut down corner he was portrayed as but solid. Verner had a very good rookie season, and there is no reason to suggest he won't be even better next year. McCourty played well when called upon last year, and is decent back-up. Sure I'd love to go and splash out on Asomugha if Bud's paying. I don't think CB is an immediate need.

I didnt hate the D-line. Jones is a great player and will make a great DE partnership with Morgan. I said Marks could become a starter next year, Brown is 30 and loves injuries. We need 2 DT's.

4. HeadOnASwivel

HeadOnASwivel Pro Bowler

Scot and Citizen, you are both correct; you both hit the nail in the head. Here is the big picture which you both eluded to; almost every position is a need or upgrade. Seriously, minus OT and RB there is not a position that cannot be upgraded in this draft. So, at the end of the day, no matter who we draft there is no way we can really miss... position-wise I mean.

After further thought, we are light years away from contending... only because we don't have a franchise QB and without one were going nowhere fast. The worse part is this QB group is really bad so I don't believe this is the year when we can fix our QB issue, which is why I don't want to see us draft one in the first round.

The key is identifying which position is the most important, or which are we weakest at. As fans, we all have our own opinions but it's all up to the FO and coaching staff to identify those areas of weakness; all we can do is guess.

I belive that the most important aspect of a sucessful team is the QB so that should be looked at first. The worst part is with a lack of a CBA we can't trade or sign free agents, not only that, the draft will occur before any free-agency will happen. Prudence dictates that we have to approach the drafting of a QB knowing that he may, very well, have to see the field next year. So, to me, we have to draft a guy that can play right away and that restricts our choices. This is why I like guys like Dalton, Ponder and McElroy this draft.

This is my long way of saying we should skip taking a QB in the first round and focus on one in the 2nd. Assuming we don't have any trades this is what I'd do... updating my recent mock...

1. Robert Quinn/Aldon Smith
    2. Andy Dalton/Christian Ponder
    3. Will Rackley/Rodney Hudson
    4. Casey Matthews...

5. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

I just thought there were too many holes in that post Scot.

Like this for example. You can't just replace guys like that especially with late or middle rd picks who might need a year to be ready to play. You didn't mention Velasco who could take one of those starting spots this year.

You don't even know if Curran can start on the outside now you want to try him at a different position? Mcgrath was a middle linebacker in college so he would be the best option there if Tulloch is gone.

I agree we need to draft at linebacker and a guy like Carter is a good fit. Moch can give us some help as a pass rusher

6. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

QB: I'm also sold on Mallett. We need a true pocket passer, and we could be legit.
    RB: CJ is amazing, we just need a decent #2.
    WR: Britt could develop into being great. Damian has potential. Other than that we have nobody. We need a true #2 WR to pair with Britt, I think Damian is best in the slot.
    TE: Cook and Stevens, again they have potential.
    OL: Our OL is decent, besides LG/C.

DL: Morgan has promise, but needs to stay healthy. Jason Jones showed he was legit, but also needs to stay healthy. Although we don't have anybody else besides those two.
    LB: Tulloch is great, but can't cover and may not be a Titan next year. Other than that we do not have any impact players. I though McRath could be an impact player, and he still could, but his last year did not amaze me.
    DB: Finnegan has gotten burn, but some of that has to do with Hope. Verner and McCourty are promising young players.
    S: Hope is horrible, we need a replacement NOW.

So basically, we need 3 simple things:
    - An impact player at LB.
    - Decent replacement player for Hope(less).
    - A QB.

We do those 3 things, and we could make a playoff push. Probably not next year, but year 2 of Munch (with good drafts) and we could be a good team. I'm hoping we get an impact D player in the front 7 this year, and Mallett in the second. Then next year get a SS and a WR rounds 1-2.

7. ScotTitan

ScotTitan Starter

Sorry Rolltide, must do better.

Well the guys I'm replacing are Harris and Amano a 4th and 7th round pick respectively. I would like to see us draft at least one OG/C this year quite high and one next year if needed. I did forget about Velasco, who I like just fine from what we saw last year, would like to see more next year.

It just seems strange to put a guy 6'3(McGrath) in the MlLB and put a guy 5'10-11 in the OLB especially with our TE problem. I feel as though Curran has very similar attributes to Tulloch and McGraths speed and height is better used where he is.

• High Five High Five x 1
  8. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

You don't need to say that.

There is no way we are going to play rookies as starters unless it was a really high pick. 2nd rd anyway. Maybe somebody like Mike Pouncey. Almost anybody else will be given a year to learn.

Our line was great in 08 and 09 so maybe last year was not an indication of how good they can play. I hope..

9. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

What about Brown? He was our best defensive linemen in 09 and we signed him to a decent contract. He was hurt last year but i wouldn't call him injury prone.

10. ScotTitan

ScotTitan Starter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar