TE Fred Davis in the Second Round

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Architect, Apr 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

so we should take a lesser player because we need another position? i'd agree with you with certain positions, but it's not like we're set at TE.

2. Alex1939

Alex1939 Space Invaders Champion

It's all to what degree that player in need is lesser than the best player available.

If there was a serious run at WR, to the point that the top WR listed in the 2nd round was projected a 4th rounder on our board, then I would skip it. If the same scenario was true for CB,DT,DE... then the team is forced to go for the best player that isn't in a true need position.

We aren't set in the TE spot for years to come. We are set in the TE position for 2008. We have the cap room to extend either or both TEs if we wish to keep them for the future. The reward for drafting a TE in the first two rounds of this draft is very minimal for the 2008 Titans and possibly unneccesary for the 2009 Titans and beyond.

(Edit: this is also the same reason I think drafting a RB in the first two rounds would be a waste.)

3. Fry

we don't know that.

if we were sure about crumpler's knees we would have given him more money and a longer deal. scaife is average and blakely is below average.

let's say crumpler's knees do become a concern and he's out a handful of games. we're right back to the 2007 Titan offense.

4. Alex1939

At least Crumpler OR Scaife should be #1TE for 2008 season. So we're set.

Maybe the rare 2TE set packages will be weak with one of them out. But is it worth a first or second rounder just to guarantee a legit #2TE?

5. Architect

Architect Pain Train

Exactly! We need SURE HANDED play makers that can be relied on to move the chains and score TD's and it doesn't necessarily have to be a WR. Reliable TEs are a quarterback, esp a mobile qb's, best friend. I dont understand why he is sliding, the only draw on him is he is undersized.

6. Fry

dinger uses a lot of 2-te sets.

but it's not just about 2008. if crumpler's knees are a problem next year, we're not going to re-sign him after 2009. that leaves scaife(FA after 2008) and blakely.

now, instead of waiting until we NEED a te next year, we grab one now, he has a year to learn the system, gets some playing time and is the starter.

but let's say we get a WR in the first this year. he'll probably get about 400-600 yards and 4 tds this year. is that more than davis could get this year if he's promoted due to injury? probably not.

7. Alex1939

boooooooo your TE! :ha:

I don't know what else to say.

No way a drafted TE gets more yardage or TDs than Crumpler OR Scaife in 2008. (I'm not saying both). One of those two TEs will be our best TE in 2008.

We could draft a STARTING WR,DE,DT,or CB. A starter!

Limas Sweed, DeSean Jackson, Devin Thomas, Mario Manningham, James Hardy, Malcom Kelly get more yards for us next year than a TE we draft. A new DE/DT/CB gets more playing time than a drafted TE for us.

You guys have to LOVE this guy to want him over any of those positions.

As far as 2009 and beyond, if we are concerned with TE, then the 3rd-7th round is where I'd look to a potential longterm TE replacement. That or next year's draft or FA.

8. Alex1939

So we take care of TE for the longterm and that leaves us with....

Longterm answer at WR?
    Longterm answer at DE?
    Longterm answer at DT (haynesworth is FA at this point after 2008)?
    Longterm answer at CB (Harper is 32)?

And, after a disasterous 2008 season where we add noone that helps us during the season....

Longterm answer at RB?
    Longterm answer at OLB?
    Longterm answer at OG?
    Longterm answer at.................... QB???

Better to work with what is going for us now, then start rebuilding for an entire new team in the near future.

9. Fry

we would obviously pick one of those in the first round.

even if we do draft a WR on the first day(1st or 2nd round) he won't be a starter. i highly doubt any of the guys we draft will be starters on day one. we just don't play rookies.

10. The Playmaker

The Playmaker pineapple pizza party

It's not just about what we need this year it's a projection for a year after that. So drafting a good TE this year would be a smart choice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar