Taylor Mays

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by 24, Mar 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 24

24 Starter

I would not mind drafting him and converting him to LB. I know he has poor coverage skills for a safety, but it translates to good coverage skills for a LB. He's about the same size as McRath, and he provides versatility on defense. We wouldn't have to go to nickel as often, and he has the speed/size to cover good TEs (Dallas Clark, Owen Daniels, Antonio Gates).

On a side note, NFL.com has his 40 as 4.43, but when they did the simultaneous runs with Trindon Holliday (4.34), Mays was faster. This kind of athlete is special, and I think we should take a look at him.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/03/02/nfln-video-shows-mays-beating-holliday/

2. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

I'm sure he could play weakside linebacker for us but that is a risk.

The panthers did a similar thing with Thomas Davis with decent results.

At linebacker you want a guy who is smart and has good instincts and can read quickly. Mays can make up for some of that with his speed but it is a risk.

3. luvyablue23

luvyablue23 Camp Fodder

I was hoping pre combine that he would slip to us and I heard from this forum that we spoke to him at the Senior Bowl. I don't see it as a possibility now. I would be excited if we did draft him though. He would make the 'product' so much more entertaining.
    I know that when Vince is playing QB I am glued and on edge the entire time because he is the king of improv. On the flip side of the coin; we haven't had a ferocious hitter since Blaine Bishop. Taylor Mays will be good and I think great, he just needs to be coached up. He will knock out a few opponents, get our defense amped, swing momentum, and also have a few penalties but I think it's worth it. I'm sure Reggie Wayne, Dallas Clark, Gonazlez, Garcon, et al will pay much more attention to their surroundings before they make a catch with Mays on our squad.
    Bottom line, he's young, big, fast, aggressive, comes from a powerhouse where they mint top notch pros, and he would be a steal at 16. If we use him as OLB or as a Safety and move Griff to corner, he would be worth it and fun to watch.

4. AH3

AH3 Rookie

I wouldn't mind getting him either to play S or LB. I think LB would be great so he could match up on some of the great TEs, but S could be good as well since Hope is getting a little older and I don't know how long he will keep producing. I think Mays will fall to us.

As a matter of fact, I think a lot of talent at positions we need will fall to us. Morgan, Haden, Mays, McClain, Graham, Wilson... at least a few of those guys will be there at 16.

5. Woy

Woy PA's finest.

If we take Mays at 16, I will shoot myself.

I probably have better pursuit skills than that workout warrior.

• High Five High Five x 1
  6. TitansJonne

TitansJonne OG triple OG

The guy needs more than muscle. You also have to be good at football.

7. AH3

AH3 Rookie

What leads you to that conclusion? The fact that he led USC in tackles? He's not the best when it comes to positioning at S, but I think he would transfer well to LB. He's certainly got the physical tools so his performance would largely depend on how he learns under our coaches. He's not my first choice at 16, but there are some other picks that could be worse.

8. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I'd pass on this idea picking him with our 1st pick. Now if he somehow fell to the 2nd round, I'd say make a move and get in the action.

9. luvyablue23

luvyablue23 Camp Fodder

Mays

I read this somewhere and thought it was kind of neat, "Come on, who wouldn't want a guy named Mays on his team playing centerfielder?"
    I don't know why I like this guy so much but I think it has to do with his bone jarring hits:) He would bring an extra dimension to Defensive swagger kind of like the Ravens of yesteryears. If he falls, I hope we snag him.
    Other choices I am intrigued with which I know won't happen:
    CJ Spiller- becomes RB2 by default and valuable in case CJ1 gets injured, helps out in return game, and can operate out of the slot in our passing game. Basically becomes a Percy Harvin, Reggie Bush versatile type player in our offense.
    Dez Bryant- Total longshot but if this guy is as good as advertised, we're set for a long time with WR's and Vince has no excuse to fail.
    I honestly think we're one more playmaker away from having one of the more dynamic offenses in the entire League that can score at will.
    IF NOT Dez then Golden Tate or Mike Williams out of Syracuse in the 4th or 5th. Lets face it; Nate 'stonehands' Washington isn't anything but a speed decoy.
    Defense
    Taylor Mays
    Rolando Mclain
    Kyle Wilson but not at 16
    Joe Haden depending on his proday
    of course Berry if he somehow someway falls or we move up

I just think along the Dline; there is plenty of value throughout the draft and Washburn can take inferior talent and make them ultra productive without utilizing the 16th pick.

10. Chapparal97

Chapparal97 Grumpy Old Fart

Mays was really only doing what his coaches at USC asked of him. His job was more to prevent the long play rather than to be a coverage guy. After they lost those 3 LB's after the 2008 season he was needed more in the box so his Int's were not stellar but he made lots of tackles. He is a tremendous talent with zero character baggage.

If we could address our CB issue in FA, I wouldn't mind him on the Titans.

• High Five High Five x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar