Talk begins on a Vince "sophomore slump"

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by TitanJeff, Jul 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. well thats been the talk of the offseason... "the tennessee titans aren't putting any talent around their start qb vince young"

oh and this was my 3,000 post

2. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

after hearing all that was said last year before the season began then seeing all that happened as the season wore on... give me one good reason to buy into any of that otherwise level headed analysis? Drew Bennett is no Jerry Rice and Travis Henry is no Walter Payton. I'm really tired of all the hyping of the former players. (FA losses)... No one was saying last year that Vince was going to be fine because of the "sure" hands of Drew Bennett and the wrecking ball running of Travis Henry...

Did that article even comment on the offensive line? :brow:

3. very true... i like where u comming from

4. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

I'm not sure what to think. On one hand, Vince greatly exceeded expectations last year. He gave us a spark, I don't think anyone can deny that. He didn't have great passing stats, but he made up for it with his overall effect on the team. How will that translate to this year?

This article mentions that we haven't given him anything to work with. That's a whole separate argument, and I'm not buying it. While that may be a reason that this team may not be ready to make a jump, we could easily see improvement in young's play, even if it doesn't result in more wins than last year. Young could develop a nice repetoire with one of the TEs and a couple of the WRs, and he might be significantly statistically better as a passer, it just might not be enough to overcome our defensive issues, or win many shoot-outs.
    I've heard the phrase "sophomore slump" several times. What confuses me is that I've also heard that "rookies make their biggest jump between their first and second season". (WRs are said to be slower, breaking out in their third season) What of this is accurate? What's relevant for Vince? While this article points to weapons as a possible reason for vince having an SS, is there any other reason to expect it, or should we naturally expect progress in year two?

5. Bulluckfan

Bulluckfan Camp Fodder

SEC is absolutely right. Last year we were a train wreck heading into the season. Henry was hardly proven. He wasn't even our starter. Bennett had not proven himself as a number one WR, and no one outside of TN expected him to, either. Wade? Are you kidding me? He was last year's Gage. The national media didn't think Wade could do anything. I doubt he was even mentioned.

Players will step up because that's what they have to do. We have 3 third year WRs. That's the year many WRs finally get it and play well. And all 3 showed flashes during their rookie years. Last year we have no idea how good the WRs were because our QB was a rookie and not a great passer. This year, Young will improve.

I simply can't wait for September, when the Titans can start shoving all this carp down the national media's throat.

(typo left for effect...I think carp would be a scary thing to have in your throat!)

6. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

No way, carp is delicious when it's fried right!

7. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Believe me when I say:

If defenses could adjust to Vince, they would have done it by the end of the year last year. The only team that did was New England- and they stuffed our running game as well. And hey- they are the Pats. THE best coached team in the league.

8. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

Couldn't have said it better myself. Vince made huge strides in college from year 1 to year 2 as a passer... and if I remember correctly he improved every single month of last year's season. No reason to believe he'll slump, IMO. If the WRs struggle I'd say we could go back to having a TE as the #1 receiver. The run could struggle, but I don't see it happening - even so VY will improve as a QB. I think you're right - the question is will that improvement be enough to overcome any defensive struggles we might have.

9. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

+1
    The way the fans here have backpedaled on Bennett once they finally got rid of him has been really funny.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar