Taking a deep breath... thoughts on the first day

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by titanbuoy, Feb 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

First off, Vincent Fuller @ 3yr/7 million seems insanely cheap for a valuable part of the Titans D. You'd think that with the success of Tennessee in 08, that there would have been more interest in Fuller. Given the pass happy nature of the league a good nickle back is on the field almost as much as a middle LB.

I'm honestly happier about this signing than the Collins deal. I'm not so sure that the Titans would be any worse off with any number of the FA QB's out there. The fact that QB's can get old very quickly is a concern. It's amazing how a guy, without suffering an injury, can go from extremely effective to “over the hill” in one offseason. I've seen it happen enough times (to better QB's than Collins), that it's a real worry. I guess the continuity factor, and the known commodity factor is just a much a positive in the Collins deal as it was in signing Fuller. Since the deal is only $8.5 guaranteed, it's probably just a couple million over what the Titans would have had to spend on the Garcias, Leftwichs etc. of the world.

I’m disappointed to hear that Canty won't be visiting. But, it's clear the Titans as an organization won't get into bidding wars over second tier players. It'd be great to have a physical specimen like Canty work with Washburn, but there are other quality guys still available, and likely some others will become available as we head into the summer.

It's hard to be patient, and I admit to being anxious to see the Titans add a piece or two, but I honestly have a lot of faith in our GM. I really like the way he's handled the the roster to date... so I'm somewhat content to sit back and see how things unfold. I can totally see how those who have yet to buy into the Reinfeldt plan could be driven nuts by his methodical approach (even as a MR fan it's hard not to get caught up the free agency frenzy).

Bring on Nate.

edit: because I struggle with the English language :))

• High Five High Five x 6
  2. guitarjunkie

guitarjunkie We're Screwed...

3. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

I'm glad we have Collins for 2 more year, glad we kept Bo Scaife, Fuller and Bironas and I hope we keep Carr too.

Actually besides Albert, and Jmac i hope we keep the same team we had last season and just add Nate, and maybe land a power rusher in the draft to replace White down the road.

4. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

A few more notions as the morning caffeine kicks in...

Somewhat surprised given Reinfeldt's past with the Seahawks that Rocky Bernard's name hasn't been associated with the Titans. Seems like an obvious choice... perhaps the fact that there isn't really much news on Bernard is indicative that something is cooking (somewhere).

Didn't even mention Fat Albert in my first post... I was resigned to the fact that he wasn't coming back. I am concerned about losing Haynesworth's snarl on defence, it's the one reason I think Ray Lewis might be a nice addition.

I wonder if Bobby Engram has anything left? Always liked this guy, not too sexy, he just produces. He certainly doesn't offer any downfield speed but no matter who the Seahawks signed, Engram was always the clutch, go to guy in their offence.

As Jesse said, the Scaife franchising was another nice, somewhat under the radar move by MR.

5. TitanicDane

TitanicDane Boozer extraordinaire

Big Al was gone to me as soon as it became apparent he was going to hit the open market. I get the feeling that Albert wasn't too keen on coming back to Tennessee and actually relished the opportunity to move to a bigger market team.
    That coupled with the size of the contract he was offered by the Redskins makes letting him go seem like the right move.
    In all, i like the Titans moves so far. Locking up Fuller and Collins. Nate Washington scheduled to visit. Maybe they take a look at some of the DL talent (Rocky Bernard or Igor Olshansky seems like logical choices). Then this offseason is looking pretty good.

6. psychotictitan

psychotictitan Its About That Time...

So far i've like what i've seen,MR is locking up young solid players and keeping the core players in tact. I know some people are pissed off we havent signed a big name yet but this shouldnt be a surprise,heck we might not sign anyone today or tomorrow. If anything last year has taught us, is that MR moves to his own beat during FA and waites for the overspending to clear before he makes his move. I have alot of confidence in the front office that their going to fill the holes on the roster and add players to make this team very competitive for the upcoming season. I dont think anyone should be disappointed with the first day, we took care of players in house which is the smart thing to do,i'd personally like to see Carr re-signed because he was a vital part on giving our offense great field position throughout the year but its still early and plenty of time left...

7. LANGSTER

LANGSTER Pro Bowler

I agree on carr nice return man and decent corner. Jmac resign terrible and I pray we dont bring bennett back. I think washburn could have turned canty into a pro bowler! Guy to look at in draft is Jarron Gilbert I think wasburn could really work with this kid

8. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

I think were so far so good. I just hope we can sign Washington today or tomorrow. If he left Detroit I think it means he doesn't want to sign there. Just hope he doesn't move onto like Tampa.

9. TheSureThing

TheSureThing Straight Cash Homie

I've learned to just forget about the "1st day of free agency" because although we try and trick ourselves into believing Tennessee is going to do something, something big, something at all. they never will.

10. jessestylex

jessestylex DeadGirlsCantSayNo

Well if we are going to up the offense it has to be a wr this time.

We got the RB, QB, TE ,OL in check.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar