Swing weighs in on Mario Williams

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by SEC 330 BIPOLAR, Sep 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MadAboutMcNair

MadAboutMcNair Starter

Wow, ever so intelligent. Makes me barf. I mean, he has to get at least ten sacks? What if he just gets I don't know, 25 pressures , forces 3 fumbles, and helps give the Texans a legitmate run defense. It's too hard to evaluate the play of a de and then try to compare that to a rb.

2. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

IMO anything short of a KVB year last year would be a dissapointment. Still, he is a rookie. We will not know for a few years if they made the right decision.

3. MadAboutMcNair

MadAboutMcNair Starter

It's just hard to compare him to KVB. Although it would be a better comparison than comparing him to Bush. Peppers, Freeney, Freak, those guys all out performed expectations in their first years. And none of them went #1 overall. All three of them were more well known than Williams coming out of school. I totally agree with the assesment that it will take us a while to know. I just think the enormous expectations placed on Williams will make whatever he does on the field seem like a let down. I don't think he will be a bust I just don't seem him being more dominant than the three guys I mentioned.
    People don't want to hear it but the pick makes sense. They didn't need Reggie Bush. Maybe they should have traded down, but whatever. That's another topic.

4. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

He is far from a finished product from what I've seen & read. His hand fighting skills are weak so he keeps getting stood up & pushed around. I can't see him improving this a lot during the regular season but he's definately a heck of physical specimen. Who knows long term.

5. 2ToneBlue

2ToneBlue Starter

I agree, I never thought it was a bad pick for them. Could have done a few other things instead of taking him first but that's history.

With DD hurt all pre-season that just adds to the fire. In my opinion I don't think Bush can be a 20-25carry a game guy in the NFL. He's electrifying, but I see him more splitting out to draw people away from the line. Mario can cause havok in the backfield and even if it's just getting to the QB after a throw and getting pressure on the QB, that can mess up their rythme.

6. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

You are right, Williams will not meet expectation no matter how well he plays.
    Using the KVB example was to illustrate a solid, pro-bowl level type year. If a the guy can reproduce that type of production year in and year out he will have fulfilled all anyone could reasonably expect.

If Williams is only as good as the three you mentioned the Texans should breath a sigh of relief. Thats about all they could hope for to begin with.
    It is entirely possible he could be much worse.

7. SwingOnDeezBalz

SwingOnDeezBalz Banger of Infant Horseys

Those that disaggree with me, here's my response:

-Mario Williams was a stupid pick. It doesn't matter if they don't need a running back, EVERYONE needs a superstar. If Bush doesn't become great, then i'm wrong. My argument is, admittedly, speculation that doesn't hold up if Bush falters. However, if Reggie Bush reaches full potential, then he will be a far better, far more important, and far more remembered player than Mario Williams, EVEN IF Mario reaches his full potential as well.

-They could've drafted Bush and traded Davis for a defensive player. Reggie Bush would simply be a bigger piece of the "Make the Texans better" puzzle than Mario.

-If Mario Williams doesn't sack the QB, then he is a failure. I put up the number 10 because if he fails to get a sack every 2 games, then he's not doing much for their pass defense. He was a number 1 pick, and it was based on his athleticism. He was drafted to be a playmaker. If he doesn't make plays, he hasn't done his job.

Overall, Mario just has too many spots where he can fail, while Reggie Bush could break open any game at any time, even if he's having a bad game. Would you guys really have drafted Mario Williams over Reggie Bush?

8. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

Swing

Looking in on the Texans from the outside you make a good arguement.

However what if we're in a similar high draft spot next yr & a Bush type of star player was available & we have other needs. I'd rather we take a need OL pick than the stud.

IMO the mistake the Texans made was using the No:1 on him when they could probaly have got him for a lower pick.

9. Crash Override

Crash Override inVINCEable

Mario Williams will always have a chip on his shoulder. If he doesn't put up some amazing numbers, people will label him a bust, even if his numbers are decent. They compared Mario over Reggie to Sam Bowie over Jordan.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar