sweet guitarist

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Fry, Apr 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QjA5faZF1A8"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QjA5faZF1A8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

2. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

Great. Go ahead. Make me feel like crap. I'm getting stomped by a 12-year-old.
    Where's my loser cap?....

3. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

triplet arpeggios are still sweet in my book

that had to be either a Malmsteen / Vai / Satriani instruction video he learned that from..... I'm gonna guess Satch

I stopped playing like that LOOONG ago, it's a shame noone really appreciates talented guitarists anymore, hell most bands don't even include solos in their songs anymore
    I miss Rhandy Rhoads

4. Bobo

Bobo Guest

He's good, but can he write a good song? The 80's had some awesome solos, but also lots of fairly weak rythyms. I guess I just go tried of flashy long ago, many can practice and do it. Writing a good song, that takes more talent....or something lol.

5. Broken Record

Broken Record Biscuit Eater Staff

Good player, but lets see him do that on an acoustic guitar.

6. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

It's amazing how quickly shred turns people off nowadays.
    I like it if it's textural and melodic, and fits the song. But here I'm just impressed that such a young dude could do it.

7. Bobo

Bobo Guest

I love the solos I'm hearing from the new Avenged 7fold stuff.

8. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

don't get all upset, he's probably 17 or so
    I was shredding Malmsteen and Rhoads at 17

but,.... as Bobo was quick to point out, it's just as important to play a solid rythm and to learn to write

I used to be able to play anybody's crap by listening and playing along - it wasn't until I started to play my own stuff that I realized what kind of guitarist I really was

My style ended up being a mix of Rhoads / Malmsteen / Dimebag with a quirky kind of Dio-esque melodic overtone
    I eventually decided that I would rather be a SOLID rhythm guy who could throw in some nifty little licks instead of a guy that could only play shredding solos

but what this kid is doing sure does get the oohs and ahhs (and chicks) at parties .... but noone really wants to go see it live anymore

example ..... I saw Dream Theater a couple of times live and it was one of the more boring shows I've seen

9. Puck

Puck Pro Bowler

my drummer likes them
    I think the lead guy can burn, but I hate there rhythms
    most of them sound to cheesy to me

I'll stick with Disturbed and Breaking Benjamin
    I'm also latching onto Funeral for a Friend now - great band

10. Broken Record

Broken Record Biscuit Eater Staff

I've been a musician for many years and I've just never been able to get into shredding. I was even somewhat of a metal head back in the early 80s, but the shredders couldn't hold my attention. I always preferred stuff like Thin Lizzy. More soul and style imho.

You've got to respect the dexterity, the speed, the amount of practice it takes to be able to do that, but for me, it loses its musicality (is that a word?). It's kind of like some bluegrass flatpicking. Phenomenal speed, but it gets old really quick.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar