Support VY thread, even through the hard times

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by whitevick331, Nov 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ewker

Ewker Starter

:suspect: basing that on how he got there...esp with daddy Mcnair stepping aside so Young would get it

2. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

lol @ stooping using the wins stat. How many wins did Grossman have last season?

3. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Also, why keep comparing Young to Collins. What does Collins career have to do with it anyway? Compare Young to all the starting QBs in the NFL right now and see how he looks.

The bottom line is people keep missing the point. The point isn't, at least in Young's second year, if we should dump the guy and admit we made a mistake, the point is Young isn't playing well now. Maybe a few posters have given up on Young but the vast majority of those being critical haven't given up on him, we just are sick of seeing such poor play. Even die hard Young fans have to admit the QB play has been far less than stellar and actually far less than average. If the defense was last years defense early in the season we would be lucky to have a win right now.

4. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Well said, Sox.

5. KingTitan25

KingTitan25 Guest

like i have said before it takes qbs in the nfl a couple years to develop. we just have to wait.

6. Hawk

Hawk Camp Fodder

I'm not going to say Vince is playing well, because he's not playing as well as he's capable of playing, and he needs to improve. But switching to Collins is not an issue, Fisher would never do that.

Part of the reason Vince is not putting up numbers is that the team is winning games and relying on the defense and running game. Last year we could not rely on the defense and we played from behind a lot, so Vince was always having to try to work some magic to come back and win games, and he did so many times and produced better stats as a result.

This year, the defense is so good that Fisher is being very conservative in the play calling (run on 1st, run on 2nd, try to pass on 3rd...repeat). That kind of predictable offense, especially with our lack of playmakers at WR, is hard on a QB and hurts a QB's stats. At least Vince has improved his completion percentage to 61%.

The reason Fisher would never sit Vince for Collins is that Fisher loves that style of play. But with Collins in there, he can't really use it. We saw what happens when Collins is in, you have to start throwing to open up the running game. Fisher doesn't want tot hrow 40+ passes a game. With Vince in there, the threat of him running the ball helps to open running lanes for the RBs without having to use the pass as much to accomplish that. Fits right into Fisher's mindset. And it leads to wins for the Titans.

7. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

So what you are saying is Young is better than Collins at handing the ball off to RBs?

I'm sure Collins is equally capable at handing the ball off to RBs. What Young should give us enough of a passing threat to not be laughable and enough of a running threat to be dangerous. So far he is handing the ball off well and that flip on the reverse to Jones was great. Problem is he isn't scaring anyone with his running and his passing doesn't even have to be game planned for by the defense.

8. cajuntitan

cajuntitan 26.2ers can do it for hrs

How about this!

VY is saving up all of the miraculous plays and heroics for the Patriots in the AFC Championship game, when he knows he will need them!:ha:

9. Dark_Tower

Dark_Tower Camp Fodder

If VY was running, we might have a different discussion. But I think what is happening is not that VY cannot run, but he is choosing not to run, even when running lanes are available. To me, that smacks of trying to force one side of his game (pocket passing) at the expense of another part of his game (scrambling). My question is this: is Young not running because he chooses not to run, is he being instructed not to run, or is there effective contain? IMO, I see more 1 and 2 here. What do you all think?

10. whitevick331

whitevick331 Guest

someone once said on here that fishers instructions are to get his first read and then run...i dont know if hes going against that or what

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar