Superman Franchise To Be Rebooted

Discussion in 'Movies/TV' started by Eddyc85, Aug 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

http://www.latinoreview.com/news/superman-franchise-to-be-rebooted-5262

Well I'm a little torn on this. I should mention I didn't see the new Superman, I might someday but I heard it wasn't very good.

But I'm a little torn on this. On one hand it's nice that their starting over with Superman because most of the films are old and wont appeal to young people, Superman can still make a lot of money, but with the success of Batman and Spiderman as being GOOD movies it just seems this last Superman film wasn't on par. Seems to me that starting over in a new direction is the way to go. But a dark direction?

Batman was dark because Batman is dark. Superman isn't. Lex Luthor isn't that dark either. But I don't think Lex would be a wise choice as a villain. People love the new villains that these movies are producing and with Lex not having any powers it's not the same. There's better options out there for Superman, that maybe could be "dark" but Luthor really isn't it.

As for guys like Flash, Green Lantern, and Wonder Woman being "dark" well please no. There's still plenty of time to change your mind, don't do it.

2. Zephyr

Zephyr Sec 139

Ed, why did you get the boot out of the TOMB?

3. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

IMO the reason both the Superman movie & the first Hulk films failed was because the studios didn't treat their audience with enough respect.

The Hulk movie this year was overshadowed by the Dark Knight but i really enjoyed the movie & thought Edward Nortons script & portrayal were spot on.

Sure a younger generation of fans may benefit from going over the characters back story again but the way it's done is an insult to our intelligence.Who wants to pay for something we've seen done exactly the same way before.

Superman not dark? Sticking to the same squeaky clean Kal El/Clark Kent scenario is exactly why the franchise is crap.

There's a lot of love for Christopher Reeves version of Superman but it belongs in the past.People today want gritty realisim & an exploration of our hero's character. Look at Smallville,it has survived so long because it's about Clark's struggle with morality whilst trying to do what's right.His personal fear of abusing his power & becoming the bad guy himself.

If every episode was about the bad guy of the week it would soon fail.

The Death of Superman is my favourite storyline in the comics & besides being packed with action it explored the value of Superman to the people on a number of levels through the use of other characters trying to stand in for him. For a comic it was dark & heavy stuff.

I'll never watch another Spacey/Hackman hammed up version Lex Luthor. Those storylines/portrayals are not what the characters are about.Luthor may not have powers but he's a pivotal character in influencing/shaping how Superman views humanity.That will never translate well into a 90-120 minute movie.

Hopefully the studios have learned their lesson & will begin to give us a more intelligent & quality product,even if they're only doing it to copy the Christopher Nolan model..

4. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

5. Eddyc85

Eddyc85 Go Bucks!

Well I don't watch Smallville but I've seen it a few times and you make some valid points. Now I'm not suggesting we get the squeaky clean Clark Kent but I don't want every DC movie to use Dark Knight as a blueprint because it just wont work with every movie. There's different degrees of darkness so just depends. But would you agree that using a main villain like Lex Luthor wouldn't really work? Unless he has like Parasite for a henchmen I'm not sure Superman vs. a regular person will be quite as cool.

6. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

I think the main problem with the Superman character is that he's simply so powerful.He also too uptight & needs to get laid.:))

Plotlines have to be creative otherwise it just comes across as lame.Bizarro is a good storyline as is Doomsday.

I think human foes are plausible only in that Superman can be outwitted or out thought.

7. monsta

monsta Guest

I'm excited about this. Most of the comic movies this year were amazing. I hope DC & Marvel can continue this trend.

8. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

couldn't be any worse than the steaming pile they released two years ago, but the whole dark concept is going to be tired by the time the third batman rolls around, which will be a shame.

and for the love of god, please no batman vs superman!

9. avvie

avvie It's another cold day in Hell Tip Jar Donor

Oh, boy... here I go again...

Superman, as a franchise.....sucks. It's damn near impossible to care about him, or what happens to him.

He has every unreasonable power ever available to him (including, apparently, turning back time) and he still can't keep one simple, mortal, ordinary baldheaded mofo from wreaking havoc on mankind.

And Superman-- yes, SUPERMAN-- can't even get a decent piece of tail. All Batman has to do is "roll up", and he's mackin' some hotties.... WITHOUT any powers.

And here's an experiment for you: put on/ take off some eyeglasses and change the part in your hair. See if it fools your boss, your girlfriend or your mom into thinking you're someone else.

And, as you all know by now,
    Superman is a dick.

10. Gunny

Gunny Shoutbox Fuhrer

Are they actual comic books?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar