Still not sold on mariota

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by wycheck28, Sep 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. abc2330

abc2330 Pro Bowler

I agree with that. It's a learning process, and in all reality, the OC likely isn't doing him any favors. But the trend on this forum seems to be to highlight his great plays, and ignore the bad ones. And at same time, they dog the defense and point out everything they did wrong, and ignore that they held a great offense to a respectable score, especially considering the idiotic onside kick and the ST blunder which turned a punt into a FG attempt.

2. 8isGreat

8isGreat Starter Tip Jar Donor

Every QB is going to miss throws -- every single one! Once again, I'll point out, seeing you ignored my earlier post: Mariota is the most efficient QB in the league in the Red Zone...and he's just 23 years of age! That says a lot whether you care to acknowledge it or not.

I agree he has to work on a few things, but what QB doesn't? They all have their share of bad plays! Even Brady, arguably the greatest QB to ever play this game looked like **** against the Chiefs last Thursday night. Are you going to ***** about him and want him off your team -- I don't f'ing think so!

My problem with you is that you are bitching about Mariota, when there are far, far bigger problems on this team! And yes, our pathetic excuse for a passing defense is one of them! If anything, that game against the Raiders was proof that our secondary is still garbage!

Another is our **** coaching!

Anyone that knows anything about the Xs and Os of football with half a brain in there head can see that...except you and Wycheck.

Bitching about Mariota is like complaining about the hair color of a Victoria Secret super-model competing in a beauty contest alongside 4 bearded women with beer bellies and a bulge in their crotch...it makes you look like a f-ing moron!

Either that or you're a troll?!

So, which is it?

#342 8isGreat, Sep 16, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
    • High Five High Five x 1
  3. abc2330

abc2330 Pro Bowler

Overreact much? I just pointed out something he needs to work on. Accuracy on throws to the sideline is a pretty major thing for a QB to have. It's not about missing a pass every once in a while; he has missed so many of the throws in this area throughout his career that this part of his game is an issue.

The red zone stats are great. But he's been playing for two years. The likelihood that he continues at that rate is fairly small, so let's not throw the names of elite QBs out there. Being able to move the ball down the field to get in that position in the first place is important as well, and he needs to be able to make more throws in order to do this.

BTW, the defense which has this garbage secondary allowed 2 TDs against a top offense. So no, I don't see them as being the hideous bearded woman when compared to a QB who had a 79 QB Rating against an average defense. There were 13 QBs who threw for more yards than Carr last week. If you are expecting everyone to be a shutdown corner and never allow a catch against one of the best passing attacks in the league, you need to get real.

#343 abc2330, Sep 16, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
  4. MariGOATa

MariGOATa Starter

Werent you the one that said few days ago that the Chiefs game was solely won on defense and ignored the fact that Mariota had zero to do with that win?! In fact he had to do ALOT with that win. He drove us down the field for a 53 yard FG. Sometimes you just go by stats and thats fine too but at times stats are pretty misleading. Again, no one thinks MM8 is perfect but alot of us think that Titans success last year was largely due to MM8 wich you disagreed heavily. And thats fine. Not trying to deflect the debate you two guys are having but I think you are a big Mariota critic and for the wrong reasons too. Dude is in his 3rd year and has flashed of being an elite QB. Dunno what more you want from a 23 yr old QB.

5. abc2330

abc2330 Pro Bowler

I'll give it to Mariota, I can recall some of his better throws being on 4th down when a completion was critical. The Detroit TD and the backshoulder to Murray (forgot the game) were excellent, and he got things done on those final drives vs. Detroit and KC.

People say he looks better in the two minutes drill in the spread, when I suspect that feeling of urgency attributes just as much to that as the formation. Maybe he can channel that more often. It's also odd that when he was constantly under pressure in his rookie season, he performed better under pressure compared to 2016 when that happened far less frequently. Maybe the constant chaos helps.

6. meekmode

meekmode Starter

can we close this stupid thread.

• LOL LOL x 2
  7. abc2330

abc2330 Pro Bowler

Only once Wycheck becomes sold on Mariota.

• LOL LOL x 1
    • Cheers Cheers x 1
  8. SuperMariota

SuperMariota Starter

I'm sold but I have always been sold. Ever since his days at Oregon. Love the man. I'm also convinced that if he doesn't succeed here, it won't be his fault. It will be Amy's.

There are some things I'd like to see him do like shine when his team doesn't. At that moment that may be the catalyst they need to get going. It's more than just being a star. It's what is going to put him in the next tier of Qbs. And at times it's the elevation the team needs from him. But the fact that we don't see it from him isn't completely his fault. The system he is trying to fit in takes away from a lot of his strengths. So he is unable to shine in the way he may be able to in a different system. The offense Oakland ran last week would be PERFECT for him.

9. Roscoes Wetsuit

Roscoes Wetsuit Pro Bowler

Kinda hard to shine or put the team on your back when your coaches tell you to just throw the ball away at any sign of pressure or tight coverage, instead of scramble around and try to turn something out of nothing.

• High Five High Five x 1
  10. MariGOATa

MariGOATa Starter

I think the reason why they told him to throw it away when he has nothing and not try to attempt to make a play is there probably think it could to injuries, fumble or just making a mistake, just maybe? I dunno, even if thats half true its still a wrong coaching decision.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar