Still not sold on mariota

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by wycheck28, Sep 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HurrayTitans!

HurrayTitans! Useless trivia knowledge champion

I'll guess they may watch for the first part of the first qtr then change to something else due to lack of excitement. So essentially, they only see 9 offensive plays and 6-7 are runs (likely right up the middle).

And high powered must come from some box scores from last year.

2. MariGOATa

MariGOATa Starter

So you think every spread is the same? Auburn has had some what pro schemes into their spread, so has Purdue when Brees was there. Oregon mariota & Florida Tebows spread were much much different.

And yeah game manager, I dont view Alex Smith as a franchise QB - evidence by him now moving to two teams, and now will be his 3rd move, by two different HC that dont think his a franchise guy. He has benefited from having a good overall team, I dont think his a bad QB; I just dont think hes a QB that could lead you to the SB.

3. HurrayTitans!

To clarify, different types of spread are still spread. If you want to define what type of spread you're referring to and explain the differences in your original post about it, be my guest, but you just said spread.

You described Smith as a game-manager and not a "franchise QB" (whatever that is). That's fine. Do you feel there is no middle ground between the two?

Moving to a second team happens to even the best QBs, note Joe Montana/Peyton Manning (that list would be VERY long). We're also in a NFL world where FA is a huge part of the game for almost every player.

Not sure what you mean by "will be his third move". I've seen very little outside of the KC fans even asking for Mahomes yet and even if they are, that doesn't automatically mean that Smith is going somewhere else.
    Second, he's been in the league 12 years, age can definitely start playing a factor very soon, although he's still #2 in the league this year in rating, tied #7 in TD, #3 in INT%, #2 in comp%, #10 in yards this year. As long as KC wins 3-4 of their last 5 games, he will be in the MVP conversation. (don't think he'll win, but that's not the point here)

4. MariGOATa

MariGOATa Starter

Not good enough to get a team a superbowl but not bad enough to find himself without a starting job. I think he plays a full year as the Chiefs QB this year then is shipped out to denver in 2018. Sure, any QB can win a Super Bowl if your defense, special teams, and running game is dominant enough. But you'll win a Super Bowl in spite of Alex Smith, not because of him. Alex Smith started this season very good and now he has reverted back to the same Alex Smith we’ve been custom to seeing.

5. MariGOATa

MariGOATa Starter

Captain Check Down Alex Smith is back, can't throw the deep ball, He's the Duke of dink and dunk

The Bills kept both safeties deep for much of Sunday's game, allowing the Kansas City offense to unfold in front of their defense and reacting accordingly to cut off the big play. Cover 2 isn't the most common of looks for the 2017 Bills, but it's an awfully common one for the Chiefs' opponents over the past two months.

"We've played some teams that show a very low percentage of Cover 2 in their other games and then they've popped to that against us," Chiefs right tackle Mitchell Schwartz said. "We have Cover 2 beaters, but conversely, if they're in Cover 2, that should open up our run game. So we need to run the ball better somehow."

The Chiefs understand the problem. After the loss to the Giants, tight end Travis Kelce said, "Teams are running Cover 2. Until we can beat Cover 2, we're going to struggle."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...ansas-city-chiefs-know-their-weakness-stop-it

Pretty obvious who these players are pointing fingers at.

Point being is that “HurrayTitans” Alex Smith has never been a top 10 talent, despite what stats people bring to the table, he has never made his offense better or evaulated them to the next step, wich is why he has never been a stable starting QB for more than 4 years in the league, if franchises like San Fran & kansas city viewed him as a franchise they wouldnt move on and get a replacement for Smith. Smith isnt as good as you think he is.

6. HurrayTitans!

You think Alex Smith is the same as Fitzpatrick or McCown? That's pretty much what you described there. Still lot of middle ground there.

None of this has to do with what I was saying. I agree it takes more than QB to win a SB, we've even argued about the necessity for defense. The Alex Smith you've seen 3/4 games is actually well below his career averages per game, so that is not "reverting back" to anything he has done historically. (45 comp% against Denver, 0/2 TD:INT against NYG, and 199 for 1/1 against Buffalo)

He has a career 87 rating with a 176:95 TD: INT ratio (that's 2:1). Not that I like doing this, but if you give him the courtesy of his first couple years learning (only 1 complete season and 2 w/ 7 starts) his numbers improve quite a bit.

7. MariGOATa

MariGOATa Starter

[​IMG]

I guess Kelce wasnt open enough for Alex Smith. El o el. This is one of the few plays Smith has missed the past two weeks.

I just love watching receivers running wide open 20 yards downfield as Smith dumps it off for a two yard gain on third and three :biglaugh:

8. HurrayTitans!

That's all fine.

A lack of running game doesn't help either, but again, my point was never to say Alex Smith was a top 10 QB. That's where we disagree.
    You are arguing if the QB is not top 10, the team is not capable of a SB and thus the QB is a game manager and easily replaceable. Smith THIS YEAR has made his offense better. He struggled the last couple games but was very much the reason they were leading the race of the West right now (and I'll even give the credit a big reason why they haven't extended that lead).

Every year the top 10 changes. Sure there's a few names that continuously repeat, but still in the SB we se a QB that isn't one of those regulars making the big game.

For the record, SF found what they thought was another "franchise QB" and at the end of Smith's contract, let him go. I think this was a mistake at the time and only looks worse now considering where CK has gone. Second, KC hasn't moved on, he's still their guy.

For sake of comparison, is Kirk Cousins a franchise QB? What about Joe Flacco? Ryan Tannahill? Andy Dalton? Currently maybe even Mariota?

You seem to have this mind set that the QB must be top 10 year after year and must stay on the same team otherwise he's not a "franchise QB".

9. MariGOATa

MariGOATa Starter

He’s in the same tier as Mariota and the likes of Tannehill right now. And at this stageof his career he should‘ve already been established QB for a franchise, wich he isnt, and thats bad. He is easily replaceable for a younger prospect like Mahomes wich the Chiefs moved down to get.

10. HurrayTitans!

Awesome. This doesn't define a career.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar