Stevens understands roster move's meaning

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by NewsGrabber, Sep 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewsGrabber

NewsGrabber Guest

Posted by ESPN.com's Paul Kuharsky NASHVILLE, Tenn. -- Craig Stevens learned the Titans have plenty of faith in him as their third tight end when they added Chris Simms as their third quarterback.
    When the Titans picked up a backup to Kerry Collins, they had to let someone go. And instead of receiver Paul Williams, receiver Chris Davis or tackle Mike Otto, it was tight end Dwayne Blakley.
    "It's more reps for me in practice, I just get more prepared and I'm excited to be put in a spot to get a great opportunity to play and keep on working hard," Stevens said.
    Blakley was inactive for the opener. But it's one thing to have him around as insurance behind Stevens, and another to go with just three tight ends. The Titans cut backup fullback Casey Cramer, who also did some tight end work, when they trimmed the roster to 53.
    Stevens was sad to see a friend let go, but said he knows Blakley's departure means he better hold up his end. The third-rounder out of Cal played one snap on offense against the Jaguars -- as part of the goal line package he was on the field for LenDale White's 1-yard touchdown run.
    Beyond that, he knows he's a special teamer and said he'll continue to work hard at that while waiting for chances on offense.
    "I'm right there, I'm ready to go in, give a guy a breather," he said. "And you never know, football is a crazy sport."

More...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar