Steve McNair can kiss my butt.

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by SEC 330 BIPOLAR, May 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

What makes you think McNair is unwilling to negotiate? Reese has done nothing to bring the parties together and work this out. He locked McNair from the facilities. If anything, this thing isn't moving because Reese isn't ready to make them move.

Release McNair today and $13.5 of that cap is STILL on the books.

McNair thinks he can be a #1 for another two or three seasons. Maybe it's realistic and maybe not but what future does he have in Tennessee when he knows he will become cut or the #2 in '07?

2. Sledge

Sledge Guest

nice scenario, but this is the NFL, we're talking millions of $$$ here, not a $50K raise.

if I were steve, i don't know what i'd do. but the titans were talking about picking a QB in the first round since january and at one point he did say he'd be happy to groom a kid like young and that he had a good friendship with him. and all of a sudden he says he's not so sure anymore. which is fine, steve wants (or thinks he can) play 2-3 more years. and if the titans draft young, young might be in the mix next year, which means he either accepts being a backup or asks to be released next year. then what happens? we tell him to go workout somewhere else. if I were steve, i'd be pissed too and i'd tell my agent to work out a trade. i'd want to be released. i'd be pissed. my problem with mcnair is never about the man or the player. it's about the contract. a contract which is where it's at cuz our gm doesn't know how to handle a cap. always puts all his eggs in the same basket. made a big mistake by giving fred miller a huge contract. made a big mistake by giving hopkins a huge deal. you don't give OL big money and then cut a star DE or a star CB so you can pay him. mcnair didn't put himself in this situation, floyd reese and jeff diamond did. look at seattle, they wanted to keep hutch, but eventually they decided it wasn't really worth it at $7 MIL a year, let him go and picked up a stud OLB and a pretty good WR with the money instead.

so do I want steve to be released or cut? for the money yes, but it'll suck real bad when it happens, because he is the guy i want running our offense this year and maybe next. yeah, he makes the mistakes now he used to make pre-'99, but so does favre. these guys aren't spring chickens anymore. i'll be sad to see steve go, just as i was sad to see samari and derrick go, and why? just cuz the nfl's salary cap, as nice as it is, is way too hard. 3 out of 4 sports leagues now offer "soft" caps, meaning you get penalized if you go over. ok, maybe a soft cap isn't really what the nfl needs, but still, they should consider it. if we had a soft cap now, i'm sure steve would be practicing with the guys now...

3. TitanGuy

TitanGuy Hey, Mama Rock Me...

K.M.B.S.M:brow: :brow:

4. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

If he thinks that why is he afraid to compete with Vince for the position?
    We all know Fisher well enough to know he will play the best quarterback at his disposition and if that's McNair in 07, then Steve will play.

Problem is McNair doesn't want to compete for the job, he wants it handed to him on a gold platter...

5. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

It's rarelly about competition anymore. The pressure is on to play the guy you pay the big dollars to. If both McNair and Young are producing the same numbers, Young gets the nod because of the investment and the upside.

But technically, you're right. McNair can pull a Brees and play so well that Young sits to '08. I'd be all for it because it would mean the Titans are doing well.

McNair knows the odds are against him in Tennessee unless he puts up '03 numbers and he knows he doesn't have the talent/experience around him to make that happen.

6. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

:yell: :cuss: :hot:

Kiss my butt Steve McNair...

Even Drew Brees showed he was a competitor.
    We saw what happen to him, but still... Fisher will play the man who gives us our best chance. All I ever hear is how Young is going to get hurt...

Not to mention people are very quick to remind us McNair is injury prone.
    If McNair would re-evaluate his real worth and what what he means to this team and weigh it against what the Ratbirds really have to offer...

The choice is clear. McNair could be the Bledsoe that gets us past the AFC Championship and into the Super Bowl... (another bad example, I know) anyway... think of it... two star calibur QB's, every season... same style...

It's quarterback by committee in a way...
    I'm sure it could be worked out somehow if the contract is scrapped.
    I'm talking a long term deal. Young could go down like Mike Vick did.
    McNair could stay and tap untold millions in Nashville commerce...

McNair could be on the roster here for years... He might play behind Young...
    also Young might be the injury nightmare that McNair is...
    Tennessee would be unstoppable in the future if we had two awesome qb's. McNair doesn't want the Super Bowl ring bad enough to approach it like that.

but noooooo!!!!

He can kiss my butt and get grap from the Ratbirds!

7. Brian

Brian Big Fan

When Brian Billick wants you to be his QB, you know you're pretty much done.

Thanks for the memories Steve.

$0.02

8. skitch

skitch Shut Up and Play Ball!

There is no flesh left on this "dead horse" we continue to beat.......
    However:
    -For everyone that keeps saying that it is Floyd Reese's fault for re-negotiating McNair's contract so many times........
    1) If he hadn't McNair would have been gone a long time ago. Everyone would have been screaming then as they are now.
    2)McNair new this would happen eventually when he renegotiated so many times. Everyone knows it in this cap era.
    3) Everyone keeps saying that McNair doesn't have the talent around him that he needs....that is why he renegotiated so many times...to get and keep a supporting cast. You can only do that for a player so many times.

- "He wants to play and start for several more years"....This is the same guy who talked of retiring no too long ago.

-There have been several people bring up that "Steve said in the hearing last week that he wants to stay here and retire as a Titan". Yep. That is what he told them. Notice he didn't ad into his statement at the hearing...."only if I get a long term contract and are guaranteed to start for several more years".
    So....if you take him at his word as far as staying and retiring...HE COULD if he wanted. That is his call right now.

And for the constant argument of... "What if your boss wanted to make you take a paycut, and brought in someone new...."
    Well, if my boss had paid me a HUGE amount of money over the years and then later I missed a ton of work, missed meetings (practice), was not the best at attending strategy sessions or taking any innitiative own my own as others do (extra time in the film room), kept talking about quitting in the past (talking of retiring), but then expected them to show loyalty after all of these things after they have brought in a new employee ("I want to stay and retire a Titan") after paying me enough money over the years that I would never have to work again...and oh yes... I UNDERPERFORMED for several "fiscal quarters"......
    I just MIGHT take that paycut and stay for another year or two and return the favor and retire a TRUE ONE TEAM FRANCHISE LEGEND.

I will also add that I believe the league should have some allowance in the cap for that one "franchise" player so that a McNair, Montana, Emitt Smith, etc... can stay with the one team. The "Franchise Tag" in place now does not do that. With the players union, there is a minmum pay scale for veterans. Even if a player wanted to come back and was willing to take a really low amount....he is not allowed to by the union (I don't know the exact numbers or scale).

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.
    Mine is that if you want to play the blame game..........
    It's 50/50 50% Titans / 50% McNair (Okay, 50% Titans / 20% McNair / 30% Bus Cook)

9. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

Honestly, he doesn't have 2-3 years of starting caliber play left in him- ANYWHERE he lands. I think it is sad that he, like Eddie, apparently doesn't realize his income potential extends far beyond his NFL contracts.

If I were Steve, I'd look to stay a titan at 4-5 mil/yr with guaranteed starts for 06 and 8 games in '-07 and be the back-up for 07/08. I don't think he, (or Bus-who doesn't get a cut) factor in the intangible revenue resources such as local endorsements, local enterprises (restaurants, sporting goods etc) that would extend his revenue production for YEARS after retirement. The Nashville community goodwill could be very lucrative over the long term.

10. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

I'd say 35% Titans, 40% Bus Cook, 25% Steve. Let's get something worked out and move on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar