Stat Padders

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by The Don, Dec 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Don

The Don Upsetting The Apple Cart

Mathis bags sack

Defensive end Robert Mathis moved into the NFL lead in sacks while sitting
    in Union Federal Football Center on Thursday.

The league awarded him a sack for a second-quarter tackle during the Colts' 35-3 victory over Tennessee on Sunday. That gave Mathis, a situational rusher, 111/2 sacks, one-half more than Oakland's Derrick Burgess and the New York Giants' Osi Umenyiora.

The play in question was a third-and-3 at the Indianapolis 20. Cornerback Pacman Jones lined up in the Titans' offensive backfield, took a pitch from quarterback Steve McNair and rolled right, looking for a receiver. Jones raised his arm as if to pass, then ducked as Mathis tackled him for a 13-yard loss.

The play originally was ruled a run, but the Colts appealed to Elias Sports Bureau, the league's official statistics service

2. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

As much as I dislike the Jags, I hope they kick that Colts arse Sunday.

3. CriticalTheory

CriticalTheory WestSide 718 ShadowMafia!

Any bets this banter went on at rule meetings?

Typical Dolts always crying to the league

"Oh The patriots jammed our WR's"

"They held after 5yds seee look at the tape Paul, Gene look!!!"

"Ty law Jammed Harrison out of bounds thats unfair to such a classy player like Harrison he didn't deserve it, Tell him Peyton, Marvin open your mouth tell him you didn't like it"

"Please Mr. Tagliabue, Mr. Washington change the rules so I can break a TD record then a year later let my team go undefeated then choke in the playoffs":cry:

"Please Elias Sports Bureau just give Mathis a Sack you know we don't have a leader in any category. We can't let a guy named KVB catch one of our players"

Damn Shame:sad2:

4. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

WOW shocking news, someone alert the hoofed trolls -

NFL gives preferences to distressed Omegas

5. coltman18

coltman18 Guest

So you are saying that it was a running play?

6. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Mathis shouldn't be even given a tackle for that play. Tackles and sacks should be erased because of the enormous stupidity of the call granting an unfair advantage to the defense.

7. GoT

GoT Strength and Honor

At the end of the game the Titans RUSHING stats reflected a rush for -13 or so on the play it was only the neighing and bleating of the Castrated One who had the play changed by the ever accomodating NFL. So yes my hooven troll it was a running play until the confused Omegas for some reason decided that it would be better for them (are the dolts now 12.5-0 or something?) to have it changed to a sack on Adam Jones.

8. I hate that, especially for KVB. It just proves that there is bias for the colts.

9. pking34

pking34 Guest

Pacman Makes Nfl History

Pacman becomes the NFL's first victim of a "Cornerback Sack."
    I have a feeling this is just the first of many unique accomplishments Pacman will have in his career.

10. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

Any person who's taken even the most basic of Statistics course in HS or college, know that statistics never tell the whole story, and are almost always used to tell one side of the story. Typically, you have to really dig deep into statistics (i.e. more then mean and medians, numbers pseudo-sport statitians like to use a lot). Whoever said "Stats don't lie" couldn't be more wrong; in fact, it's the exact opposite.

I don't think Mathis is garbage or anything. I mean, 10.5 sacks is 10.5 sacks. But his numbers are clearly a deviant from his usuall production, and don't reflect his real talent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar