Starter at CB Remains Unnamed

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by goTitans.com, Sep 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goTitans.com

goTitans.com A living legend. Staff

SUMMARY: Will the starting corner opposite Nick Harper be Cortland Finnegan or rookie Michael Griffin? Titans coach Jeff Fisher isn't saying and has gone as far as to state it isn't important. “There are a lot of guys in our secondary that are playing well and in that position that are capable of playing there as well,” Fisher said. Fisher did mention a starter could be named later in the week. “I’m excited either way just to be playing one more year. It’s definitely exciting,” Finnegan said. “Anybody is capable of playing that position. I think everybody has worked hard and we believe in one another. Whoever gets the nod on Sunday, I believe, is going to do their best.”

View full article
    What do you think about this story? post your comments below.

2. Titan_4Good.

Titan_4Good. Guest

I say C. Finnegan and M. Griffing will be sharing that spot a lot if eveything goes well!

3. oilerstruck

oilerstruck Hall of Fame

I would say that Finn should start on the outside. However, that said, Griffin needs to be on the field too. Griffin has not lined up at the nickel much. In order to get both on the field at the same time, I could see Fisher starting Griffin and playing Finn in the nickel. Having both out there at the same time excites me.

4. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

I could see Finny starting and then moving inside in some nickel situations. I could also see Griffin getting some reps in our normal set especially if we are having trouble stopping the run.

5. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

I think we'll see Griffin get eased into things... he definitely needs to be in the game and making plays, but he's also still got a lot to learn. He'll rotate in - I'm sure we'll see some Harper/Griffin/Finny packages, with either Finny at nickel or Griffin blitzing. We've got 1 week to iron out any kinks against the pass - we'll see lots of scary 3/4 receiver sets in weeks 2 and 3. It'll get ugly at times, but as long as they can hold in the red zone we'll have a chance.

6. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

just read this on the tennessean website:

"SECONDARY

BREAKDOWN: Nick Harper is locked in at left cornerback and rookie Michael Griffin is likely the man on the right side. Cortland Finnegan is expected to return to the nickel back role he excelled at last season. Strong safety Chris Hope showed in his first season with the Titans he can be a rock. In his second season, Hope should be even more comfortable in the system, whether it's Calvin Lowry or someone else beside him at free safety. Depth, particularly at corner, shouldn't be the issue it's been in recent years with players such as Vincent Fuller, Kelly Herndon and Reynaldo Hill ready to jump into action."

http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070906/SPORTS0101/709060339/1027/SPORTS01

7. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

Obviously by "eased into things" I meant he'll be starting right away... :banned:

8. Carpy

Carpy Disgruntled foreign veteran

That makes sense. The Jags have tipped their hand in pre-season to trying to get Matt Jones matched up in the slot and I think Finnegan is a good match up with Jones.

9. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

i think the coaches realize that they want both finnegan and griffin on the field at the same time, but they painted themselves into a corner not giving griffin reps at FS. moving finnegan back to NB and having griffin at CB is their only option now.

10. Crash Override

Crash Override inVINCEable

I would rather go with Finnegan for now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar