Start Of A New Era,Titans Very Optimistic

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by mike75, May 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Actually the OL is pretty good and that is one area the really bad teams have problems with. We aren't terrible in the trenches on either side of the ball. We also have some solid CBs and Griffin in the secondary and now that Cecil is gone maybe we won't have players clueless out there. Even at LB I don't see guys like Spoon and McRath as horrible. They just need to be put into position to make plays. Spoon actually had a decent year last year (92 tackles, 3 sacks, 2 ints) IMO and might be moved to MLB.

It really comes down to the QB position. The rest of the team is capable of being competitive. I just don't get these people that assume the team is going to suck. For the most part this is the same team that lost to Indy twice by a total of 5 points and was hurt by injury in the 2nd half of the season. We had a few embarrassing games that probably stick in peoples memory. Like the 20-0 game against Houston with Rusty at QB. Well what about the 31-17 pounding we put on Houston later in the year holding Foster to 15 yards rushing? Even with KC at QB the team can be competitive.

• High Five High Five x 1
  2. Ten_Titans

Ten_Titans Pro Bowler

The team didn't really change when we bombed at the end of the year.

Well, the names didn't change.

I swear, it seems that who we have behind center makes our breaks us more than any team in the league.

3. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

I'm not sure that the lock out hurts us as bad as the media suggests it will.

We sucked the last few seasons under Fisher and his staff even with a full camp and pre season. I felt very frustrated that we were unable to build continuity from one season going into the next.

Realistically we are not going to be very good this year. New QB, new Offense and new Defense.

My view is that we've been used to seeing bad results under normal circumstances. It can't be worse than some of the starts we've had over the last 5 seasons.

I obviously want us to win but if we suck to start but close the season well I'll see it as progress.

4. mike75

mike75 Pro Bowler

I was a pretty big supporter of Fisher and didn't want to see him go at first.However it is true once you look at the team the last few years is that he was stubborn and refuse to change even when it was hurting the team.I think he also accumulated too much power and a lot of times that can backfire especially when its clear changes needed to be made but he was too stubborn or let his ego get in the way of decision making.The feud with VY and the media spat they had tore this team apart last year and the animosity had been going on between those two from day one and mainly because VY wasn't the choice of Fisher.Coach Fisher did some good things here and the team was competitive year in and year out but some of his methods were getting stale and the team wasn't responding to it anymore.I'm glad we wiped the slate clean and maybe some fresh blood and new ideas will rejuvenate this franchise.If Locker can play as well as Mcnair and help us win and display the toughness and dedication Steve did then i think we will be pleasantly surprised.In 2008 We saw what happened down in Atlanta when they started over with a new coach and new QB were brought in.They have three straight winning seasons and have a pretty good team there now.

5. CJtheBeast

CJtheBeast Starter

That is how I feel. The game seemed to have passed Fisher by.

Hopefully Cook, Hawkins and D Will get more clock this year. I also hope to see rookies who can contribute inserted into lineup faster. Some players have it and some players don't. Do what is going to improve the lineup.

I'm hoping the regime change brings about some improvements. In addition to the above issues, the staff had become terrible at both defensive and offensive scheming. We consistently got exposed by it when we played the elite teams.

Ex. You can't run CJ up the gut 20 times a game and expect to beat the Steelers. You can't only throw on 3rd and long. You don't always have to run on 1st down.

I'm optimistic about any coaching change after last season.

6. mike75

mike75 Pro Bowler

i'm hoping we find success similar to that of the Atlanta Falcons and the rebuilding effort they begin in 2008 by starting fresh with new coach and new quarterback and its worked out very well for them.

7. Soxcat

Soxcat Pro Bowler

Cook had 27 of his 29 catches after the bye week so I think it is a fallacy the team didn't try to get him more involved. Also Williams played some as a rookie which for a rookie WR isn't bad. What is odd IMO is Williams didn't have a catch almost the entire time Britt was injured. But remember we signed Moss and he stepped right in as a starter. I wouldn't expect Hawkins to get many reps anyway if our WRs are healthy. Are we going to bench Britt (or Moss after Britt was injured)....Washington....Williams (a guy you wanted to s more of).

I do think the offense will change and hopefully CJ will be used differently. Obviously Cecil was a liability on defense and we had injuries on the DL not to mention injuries at QB which explains why CJ was given more carries to try and control the clock Eddie George style. That is why it made sense to draft a bigger RB to take some of those carries. Don't be surprised, especially if Locker plays, if the team tries to pound the ball and control the clock. We certainly won't be successful playing a wide open style although I do expect to see more passing on first down.

I see no way the scheme on defense won't be better. I expect Casey to get significant reps as the strong side DT unless we find a vet DT to fill that role. Barring something strange Ayers should start at the Sam LB from day one as well.

8. CJtheBeast

CJtheBeast Starter

Hawkins can get his opportunities even with Washington in the rotation. He has a different skillset than Nate and can be used in the screen game, on quick slants and outs, and plays designed to get a receiver in space. Hawkins is more of a playmaker than possession receiver it seems like from his limited time. If we run a lot more 3 WR sets this year I think he could be used effectively in our offense. I like our depth at WR for the 1st time in a long, long time.

I'm one of the fans who believes this team is a QB away from being serious contenders. Our OL isn't terrible, we've got capable TE's and WR's. We've got a real weapon in CJ. If we get some decent coaching this year I think this team will suprise some people.

9. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

He shouldn't unless we have injuries. If Britt, Washington, Williams or Cook are on the bench with Hawkins playing there is something wrong.

Yes he does Nate is a lot faster. What do you know about his skill set?

10. TitansJonne

TitansJonne OG triple OG

Hawk is a shifty receiver with good hands. He is a playmaker

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar