Stability, Stability, Stability...

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by petergriffin16, Oct 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. petergriffin16

petergriffin16 Starter

The best and most consistent teams all have one thing in common between them: stability.

Belichick and Brady have been perfecting and adapting their strategies together for over a decade.
    The Packers roster is almost entirely composed of their own draft picks.
    Carolina stuck with Ron Rivera despite fans calling for his head after many sub-par seasons, and they have lost a lot of key players this year.

All of these teams have stuck to stability in a league where glamour and impatience are the talks of the town, and no team highlights this fact more than the Bengals.

Marvin Lewis has been the coach there for a minor eternity in Cincinnati, despite being looked at as the epitome of mediocrity. Andy Dalton has been a regular season wonder and fans have been calling for both of their heads for the last two or three seasons, despite the fact that they have been consistently making the playoffs. This year, they look like and arguably are, one of the elite teams in the NFL. The fact of the matter is, the only thing that has changed for the most part is the team is one year more experienced in it's system. The team is one year more comfortable with each other, and one year more familiar with how they themselves effect the possibility of winning.

This is not meant to be another "Head Coach" thread, but a discussion on the balance between Stability and impatience. Let's be absolutely real: coaches do NOT make it to a Super Bowl by accident. ALL of the Head Coaches for these teams: Ron Rivera, Mike McCarthy, Marvin Lewis and EVEN Bill Bellichick have ALL been the recipients of the same criticisms being unloaded onto Ken Whisenhunt right now.

But let's be real. This team was an absolute mess at the end of the Munchak/Reinfeldt disaster and it showed in a 2-14 season. The first opportunity for Ken to truly understand the roster. He saw what no one else saw in #8 and made him a Titan, and you are blind if you don't think they have excellent chemistry together. With the first Webster/Whis draft in year two, and the second one contributing successfully in their rookie context in the first four games, the Titans have become a team that will be competitive in every single game this season. Whether they make the playoffs or not, people fear playing the Titans and we are four or five very fixable mistakes from developing the right mindset to become a winning team.

That is amazing and deserves to be respected. This team reminds me a lot of the 2007 Giants that dismantled an undefeated team in the Super Bowl. Everyone wrote them off until they finally overcame their obstacles and learned how to finish, and went on a huge hot streak straight into the playoffs.

I would much rather go 1-3 or 1-4, and enter the playoffs on a 9-10 win hot streak, than go 10-0 into 13-3 and lose the first game of the playoffs. This team has the perfect script around it to turn into a team on a roll come November, and whether it happens or not there is a very very good football team on the horizon.

Believe it.

• High Five High Five x 7
    • Bullsh*t Bullsh*t x 2
    • Cheers Cheers x 2
  2. Finnegan2win

Finnegan2win hopesfall2win

Whisenhunt's consistently below average so it'd be a detriment to try and force a square through a circle..

• High Five High Five x 5
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 4
  3. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

I appreciate the optimism, but 9 or 10 wins.... are you serious? So after going 1-3 during arguably the easiest stretch of our schedule we're then gonna roll off 9 or 10 wins during the final 12 games which includes matchups against ATL, NE, CAR, NYJ, and 5 divisional games?

• High Five High Five x 1
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  4. IceBurg

IceBurg Rookie

Just think, if we let Whis develop as a head coach for the next decade he could one day be as good as Marvin Lewis.

• LOL LOL x 3
    • Cheers Cheers x 2
    • High Five High Five x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. TitanUpB4UGO

TitanUpB4UGO Starter

Wisenhunt is Charmin SOFT, and tries to sit on the slightest of leads. He's just a horrible game manager. I'm glad he and Ruston drafted Mariota, but they also screwed up in drafting Sankey rather than Hyde. He is trying to force a running game, featuring two small scatbacks. WHO in this league can win doing that?

His record speaks for itself. I hoped he could learn from his past mistakes, but he hasn't

• Bullsh*t Bullsh*t x 2
  6. xpmar9x

xpmar9x The Real Slim Shady

It still baffles me why he's trying to prove that this team is a "run-heavy offense". Like dude, you have **** running backs and a **** offensive-line. Let Mariota sling it around, quit with the conservative BS.

• High Five High Five x 3
    • Hit the Target Hit the Target x 1
  7. altitan

altitan Pro Bowler

The Atlanta Falcons changed coaches this year and are 5-0, and will probably be 9-0 after their next four games.

The Titans have some talent but, rookie mistakes combined with some less than average coaching has bitten this team every loss this year.

There is a good article on bleacher report I believe (yeah, I know) that talks about whiz overall record. His record with the Titans is the worst in the NFL. Personally, I don't think he is going to improve much. The article says his best record is 10-6, which I think would be good enough to win our division.

To me...the worst part is that the Colts are down right now and we can't take advantage. I'll be a Titans fan regardless, but I do not think we will see a big improvement, unless of course the talent overcomes his coaching. I know your original thread is about stability and the teams that are doing good, but the difference is those coaches are proven winners, ours is not.

• High Five High Five x 2
  8. Sabomnim

Sabomnim Starter

Only ATL and NE are not winnable there. I agree with OP, changing coach is not the answer. But such is life. Every win the fans say superbowl, every loss the fans say fire everyone.
    We'll be fine. We went 2-14 last year... No coach was taking us to the superbowl.

9. JCBRAVE

JCBRAVE goTitans 2019 Survivor Champion

I dont think it's time for a coaching change, but wouldn't be mad if it happened

Mariota is the only piece that matters

• High Five High Five x 3
  10. SawdustMan

SawdustMan #ChampChamp

The other games are certainly WINNABLE but it's silly (to put it nicely) to think we are gonna win ALL of them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar