Spy-gate

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Riverman, Feb 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

No doubt the release/publication of Spectre's campaign contributions are in the league and the Boston market's best interest. Why don't they list other public officials to whom Comcast has made contributions? My point it, the contributions are not the ONLY reason Spectre is going after it as your previous post suggested.

2. dg1979us

dg1979us Pro Bowler

Do you think if the NFL and Comcast had a really good working relationship, that Spectre would be pursuing this issue? So you are correct, maybe it isnt the only reason he is doing it. But, there is little to no doubt in my mind that it is the primary reason. I guarantee you that if the NFL and Comcast were on better terms, that Spectre wouldnt even think of pursuing this deal.

3. Riverman

I don't know. Maybe. I do know that the public is not letting go of the issue like Goodell and the league (and their talking heads) calculated that it would.

I think that Spectre would not have had any polictical options if had Goodell addressed his initial inquiry with full disclosure. Matt Walsh is the thorn in Goodell's side right now. IMO-this is a classic "whistle-blower" case. The public loves this kind of story and Goodell was a jug-head to over-estimate his ability to squash it.

4. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Ha, I opened this page planning to post that, Riverman.

Interesting article, and I agree with the conclusion. This is serious, and it's dragged out because no one accepted the sweeping under the rug that it was given during the season. The punishment was insufficient.

5. Riverman

Easterbrook fell short of pinning the appropriate amount of the "cover-up" responsibility on Goodell. Suspending Belicheck IS an interesting solution to get this thing to go away- unless the public wants a pound of Goodell's flesh to boot.

6. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

He's criticized Goodell at other times during the season. I think he just was focusing on a solution here. I also don't think that the public will hound after Goodell, they're more likely to stick with the Pats.

7. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

I read that whole thing. Good find... I love this footnote...

Footnote: In Friday's Washington Post, NFL reporter Mark Maske quotes former Giants quarterback Phil Simms contending that stolen signals are no guarantee of victory: "'I've been in games where we knew every signal, every call by the other team, and we still lost,' Simms said by telephone yesterday. 'We [the Giants] had the San Diego Chargers' signals in 1980. We knew every signal. We knew every play. We were calling out what they were going to do: 'Here comes this. Here comes that.' They still scored 44 points.'" After more Simms quotes, the article moved to other matters. Who was on the New York Giants' coaching staff in 1980? Bill Belichick and Ernie Adams.

• High Five High Five x 1
  8. Riverman

9. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well well well...

Be prepared to eat this over lunch!

Commence munching...

I found it very odd that Belicheck took a 500k fine and loss of a first rnd draft pick with any meaningful displeasure over video taping a few signals in game 1. Ostensibly, that was what Goodell sold the public on. We don't tolerate cheating so because they were caught doing this, we're gonna throw the book at them.

The problem is that the PROBLEM runs much deeper than video taping a few signals before or during a few games. Now it's 8 years of this (during which time this team has become one of the most powerful teams in the league) cheating...not to mention the 'normal' cheating the pats do (cutting out headsets...which is more than other teams do).

The REAL problem is that the NFL doesn't want arguably the prime brand of the NFL (the dynasty team with 3 SB's, the hall of fame headcoach who's smarter than everyone else, the all american rise of Tom Brady) to be not only smeared, but destroyed. How do most people feel about Bonds and MacGuires home run records. If they could, they'd erase them. And that was a one year achievement. How would people feel about putting an asterisk next to 3 SB's? And for conspiracy theorists...doesn't it make that out of thin air 'Tuck rule' all the more conspiracy like since that gave the Pats their first chance at the SB?

The public will tolerate a certain amount of cheating....as long as they think the integrity of the league is on the up and up and as long as those who cheat are properly punished. 8 years of the Pats cheating (if found out in detail and proven that it helped them win games) would be devastating.

I think Goodell saw the writing on the wall and to protect the league, gave Belicheck what would be a stiff fine for a small amount of cheating and Belicheck took it knowing he got a lot more out of cheating than a 1st rnd pick and the money is more important to the public than Belicheck. So you can't really punish Belicheck adequately without revealing the real reason why cuz that reason could devastate the league. This is exactly why Goodell has tried to avoid disclosing any more than he had to and why he destroyed the tapes...so he can now claim whatever he likes.

How far does this go? Back to the 2000 SB? Based on Sims comments, this likely started while Belicheck was with Parcells...in 1980??? That could mean tainting or ruining another Hall of Fame headcoach in Parcells, questioning Sims and one of the bright young coaches in Mangini. Houston, we have a problem!!! This could really blow up in their faces if they don't act and fast. But how much does the public want. How much of the Pats flesh need be ripped out to pay for what they did?

The Govt should NOT stay out of it when the League doesn't take care of itself...especially when it comes to cheating. Especially when the Govt is the reason the league is allowed to govern itself.

Unfortunately, if you read a lot about football and can read between the lines you find some likely truthes. First, Bledsoe says that they weren't given the other team's defenses. But if you could do that, you COULD change the outcome of the game.

Well, I don't remember if it was in one of Brady's books or in Charlie Weiss book (Pats OC at the time), but the last 2 minutes of the Pats/Rams Superbowl is given word for word and when I read it at the time, I thought Weiss must be the smartest OC I've ever heard about because...if I remember correctly...he basically was telling Brady before each play which of two defenses he'd get and which plays to run against them.

I don't know about any of you, but if you steal the signals and use them to win a SB...that's a BIG DEAL!!!

The very FACT that Belicheck hasn't been cheating for a few games, but has been doing this for 8 years along with the FACT that we now know he KNEW he was CHEATING, and he should be suspended until further notice and be forced to apply for reinstatement like all banned players. The fact that the Pats brand (from cheating) has made the team far richer means they should also be heavily fined (like 10mil) with this money donated to help rebuild New Orleans.

Because now, a 1st rnd pick and a 500k fine doesn't seem like much compared to 8 years worth of cheating, not admitting they cheated, and with no remorse.

Unfortunately, this is a cat and mouse game. Goodell doesn't want this to go further but what more can he do to the Pats now without the 'whole' story coming out? He has to weigh this against Congress and a special investigation getting involved which would be WORSE (since this would take years, find what we already 'know,' and then with him and the public knowing every detail...then what do you do)?

But perhaps Spector can't get congress involved...that is the battle and something to watch.

But if Goodell was smart, he'd meet with Kraft and Belicheck and tell them...the xxxx is about to hit the fan and I'm not letting the league go down with you...so here's what you're gonna do. I'll suspend Belicheck Indefinitely but I'll bring you back after one year as long as you're not coaching the Pats, you'll admit you did wrong in an apologetic press conference - tomorrow, and sometime during the year you will donate your SB bonus money (all of it from the 4 with the Pats) to some charity not affiliated with you, the Pats or anyone you know. And don't let me catch you even stealing a hand signal or I'll destroy your rep and make sure your tarnished records are tarnished in the history books. And Mr. Kraft, your team will be fined 10mil and you'll donate this to the rebuilding effort in NO. You'll play dumb about knowing what Belicheck was doing but if another coach under your watch gets caught, 10mil and a 1st rnd pick will seem like a light snack. In exchange, we'll have to give up some more info but the story will go away because of the punishment and you'll get to keep your SB's with no asterisks. What? Why should I fine the Pats 10mil? Because you knew what was going on and allowed it to happen, Mr. Kraft. And if you don't agree to my terms and I start leaking story after story about the Pats cheating to the press, the value of your franchise will drop a lot more than 10mil!

Gut

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar