Spring Mailday Thing 08

Discussion in 'Memorabilia' started by titanbuoy, Apr 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I think I'm going to try and focus on only autographed cards to start out with. Is there any particular brand (Upper Deck, Fleer) which are generally the better to have?
  2. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

Autographed cards from a players rookie year are always going to hold their value better, but I wouldn't limit yourself to just rookie sigs. The only real difference in signed cards is the sticker sig versus the hard signed card. Most cards, even some high end **** feature sticker autographs either affixed to or embeded into the card. I prefer hard on card autos. If it's a sticker sig make sure the signature is entirely on the sticker and not cut off. Just because I'm not crazy about sticker autos, don't let that sour you on them. In some cases they can really make the signature stand out from the card.

The brand name really doesn't matter. Each company has it's high end and low end cards.

Here's a link to some of the Titans cards I've scanned... take a look, see what you like (there's a bunch... and that's only one album :geek: )

Titans

(there are no names, but it's alphabetical)

Bulluck only has two signed cards. this one can be had for less than $10 (it doesn't come up that often though)
    [​IMG]

Haynesworth's only signed cards to date are his 2002 SAGE RC's. They go up for auction once in a while... again likely doable for less than $10.

Finnegan, Hope, KVB, Harper, Roos are among the current Titans players that have no licensed signed cards.

The best advice I can think of is to choose the cards that you like and be patient.
  3. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

What a nice collection. :yes:

I guess the first step is to list the players I want to collect and then begin the search. I'm thinking I'll start with:

Young
    White
    C. Johnson
    Roos
    Haynesworth
    KVB
    Bulluck
    Griffin (I think you cornered the market on him)

And a few older players:
    McNair
    George (that '00 UD Auto/Jersey was one of my favs)

It's a shame some of them don't have signed versions. I suppose I can look at jersey cards for those who don't.

:brow:
  4. LT21Titans27

LT21Titans27 Tebow Apostle

You will not find Roos at all, and probably KVB pro bowl jersey card at best. Griffin and Bulluck are your bargain guys right now. Haynesworth rookies are out there, but not alot. Vince will be costly if your looking for a solid card. Ive gotten lucky and snagged some patches for around 20. White is mainly high end atm. you either get a rookie base or a patch auto, some newer base jerseys are out there but not many, although they are looking nice. McNair and George rookies, jerseys, and even autos are pretty fair in price
  5. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

If you think Vince is going to have a decent season it might not be a bad time to snag one of his sigs. Collectors have soured a bit on VY and his cards have hit an all-time low value wise. You're still looking at forking out $50 to $80 for a decent auto, but that's a lot less than the $150 they were commanding at this time last year. (he's the only guy you'll absolutely have to break your $10 rule if you want to land a sig... and what the heck... it'll make a nice corner piece to the collection :) )

White's cards aren't cheap, cheap, but relative to other similar RB's they are. If you think El Dub is going to rip it up in 08, buy now (surpisingly a lot of collecting speculators are buying up White's stuff which has inflated his prices a bit... but they're still not as high as Maroney or other young backs).

Chris Johnson's autos are dirt cheap. I bought two Topps sigs both #'d to /999 for just over three bucks each. He's yet to have any cards released in a Titans uni but that should change in the next few weeks (perhaps even this week).

Watch out for jersey cards from a player's rookie year... these are event worn jerseys and not game worn (still cool looking when you get a nice patch... but really not the same as game used IMO).

event worn = jersey worn at player's rookie photo shoot

Have fun. :yes:
  6. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

In these days of numbered inserts, sticker autographs and event worn jersey patches, it's nice on occassion to go back and buy an old school insert card whose value was in the design rather than any short printing or added bells and whistles. A outstanding example arrived in today's mail...

Steve McNair 98 Skybox Soul of the Game
    [​IMG]

Just an awesome concept executed perfectly with this nice little die cut baby. The text on the back is almost as good as the cool looking card itself.

lolza

also arriving today...

Jevon Kearse 1999 SP Authetic RC 0917/1999
    [​IMG]
    back in 2000 this card fetched $20 plus... picked this up for the minimum bid of 99 cents.
  7. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

Incoming...

LenDale 07 Thread College Gridiron Kings Jersey 083/100
    [​IMG]
    cool looking card... I love college game used stuff.

Hugh Green 82 Topps RC
    [​IMG]
    I doubt anyone will remember this guy, but he was a phenom in college. Sport Illustrated covers, Heisman Trophy hype (I think he finished second in the voting). At the time we got a lot of Pitt Panthers games on TV here so I was crazy about Green (along with Tony Dorset, Dan Marino and other Panther alum).

the next few aren't new but I noticed that I hadn't scanned up my cards of an old favourite so I did...

97 Playoff First and Ten Kickoff
    [​IMG]
    the 90's were great for low end oddball chit like this unique acetate card

97 Playoff First and Ten Chip Shot
    [​IMG]
    speaking of 90's oddball chit... poker anyone
  8. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

97 UD Collector's Choice
    [​IMG]
    #82!

97 Ultra Gold Medallion
    [​IMG]

02 Fleer Premium Ruby 091/100
    [​IMG]
    shiny red parallel... doesn't scan too well

04 Leaf Certified Fabric of the Game Auto/Jersey 82/85
    [​IMG]
    really nice card design (despite the auto sticker)
  9. vslyke

vslyke In Dinger We Trust

Nice to come back from vacation to this stack:

(Clockwise from top left) VY 07 Leaf Jersey out of 99, 07 Griff SP RC Auto, 06 Sweet Spot Finny RC /699 (thanks titanbuoy for spotting this one), 02 Haynesworth Topps Chrome RC, 01 Kearse UD Jersey, and 03 Kearse Playoff College & Pro Jersey.

All for $23! (Including shipping.)

Attached Files:

10. titanbuoy

titanbuoy medium rare ®

Sweet. It's great coming home to a stack of bubble mailers. Nice stuff... I really like the Kearse dual... I've gotsta get me one. The Sweet Spot Finn is a great looking card isn't it?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.