Sports Illustrated's 1st Round Mock Draft

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by FightinTitan, Jan 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Um...

I think the point is that THAT would make him a one trick pony and you don't select them in rnd 1....

...at least I wouldn't!

But if he's THAT fast AND can use it at WR...then he'd be worth it. He's definitely more of a risk/reward (a Gamble on Greatness) pick. More often than not, those players have burned us.

Gut

2. theprizdfighter

theprizdfighter Newb to the 19.5°

I'd rather have Jarrett or Johnson...I know Johnson probably won't be there...but if he is snatch him up..I don't know if Ginn will be there when we pick..if he is I think we should take a hard look at him..if Jarrett is there I think he is too good to pass on.

Unless we want to go w/ a Nelson or Landry.

3. Smart***Titan

Smart***Titan Camp Fodder

Let me beat a dead horse here. Ginn is a pure speed player. Plain and simple. He is a great athlete that is playing receiver. I do think he is going to have phenomenal speed even for the NFL, but he is going to not only be playing against faster corners and safeties but also better schemes. Look at Reggie Bush, the guy was just faster than everyone else in college. Now in the NFL, he is still a fast player, he can still break the long run, but he's not flat out beating everyone to the corner every play. (I know it seems that way if you watch sportscenter, but go back and look at his season on the whole.) Obviously Reggie and Ted play different positions, but you get my drift. The issue I see with Ginn is that his route running and receiving skill set is not that of a 1st round player (IMO). Is he going to be able to be a deep threat? Obviously with his speed alone, he is capable of making big plays, but I just don't see him being a consistent receiver in the NFL. NFL history is littered with players who were track stars, not receivers and they did not live up to the hype. That's kind of what I see for Ginn.
    We need a #1, not a guy who's going to give us two or three big plays a year when we play a crappy team with crappy corners. What we need is a good, strong, consistent player with our first round pick. A guy that we are confident is going to be a good player, not a gamble guy. We've taken a gamble the last two years with our first rounder, and they've paid off. Take the best sure fire player available in the first and let's save this years gamble picks for later rounds.

4. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

The problem is, outside of Calvin Johnson all of the top WR's have potential flaws...

Jarrett isn't fast enough (perhaps immature) and doesn't run block very well. He has excellent hands and can fake you out of your shorts on the double move (assuming the NFL QB has that kind of time).

Bowe doesn't have top notch hands (see his last Bowl game) and may not have top end speed. He does know how to position his body well (big frame) and is an excellent run blocker. Reminds me of Keyshawn with less reliable hands.

Ginn has all world speed and explosiveness but gets away with just outrunning everyone in college. Doesn't have great hands nor runs great routes. Will need a lot of technique work when he gets to the NFL. Could be a Steve Smith...but also could be a Dante Hall.

Meachem does everything pretty well and looks the part, but has not really been a dominating player nor does he excel at any one area that makes you think he'll be anything more than a good player in the NFL.

Sidney Rice has the height and the hands, but he's a bit stiff in the hips which affects his ability to separate and be explosive out of his breaks. And what is his top end speed???

With so many questions, it's hard to put these guys in a pecking order because they fill different needs and have different levels of risk/reward.

Calvin Johnson will NOT be anywhere near availabe when we pick. He's a guaranteed top 10 player and most likely top 5. It's also possible he could be first overall (though I don't think even the Raiders are that dumb).

Gut

5. TitanFanBudMan

TitanFanBudMan Professor

We were the 32nd ranked defense in the NFL last year. Anybody care to guess how many NFL teams there are?? We need defense, and we need lots of it. We need Nelson or Landry first. Our guys need to watch the draft board close, and if it doesn't look good for one or the other...they need to trade up a few spots in insure that they get the one that they prefer...similar to what we saw last year when Denver gave up a third rounder to move up a few spots to get Jay Cutler. When need to get the best available DE in the 2nd round; fortunately it seems like this is a deep position in the draft this year. I think we need to probably draft 1 other DE, and at least 1 LB. Later rounds....need to look for those WR nuggets, but hopefully we can address CB, WR, and MLB in free agency. There may not be any good Free Agency WR yet, but someone will probably cut one before it is all said and done.

6. Deuce Wayne

Deuce Wayne NOW Y'ALL GET THE MESSICH?!

If we take Meachem in the FIRST round, I'll be pist. yeah, with a 't'.

7. LT21Titans27

LT21Titans27 Tebow Apostle

Ah Jarrett, skills remind me of this one player, cant remember his name, hes kindof a possession reciever, i do remember his initials th, oh yeah, its T.O.

theres another reason i like jarrett, recievers that rely on speed, when covered by a fast corner, or doubled, arent as good as a decent speed possesion reciever
    Possession guys can make a play once they have the ball, sometimes before a catch, speed guys rely on teh burner/deep ball for big plays
    just look at randy moss

8. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Gut

Too bad Jarrett weighs 20+lbs less, doesn't have a fraction of TO's strength (who does), and can't run a 4.40 40...even at 20+lbs lighter.

Jarrett does have pretty good hands, but he's not physical enough on the LOS and I think he'll only end up with avg speed. And he's a non-factor in run blocking.

I'd say he compares pretty well to Keyshawn except that Keyshawn is a very good run blocker.

What is a speed possession guy?

I think Steve Smith would disagree with your assessment. And if possession WR's were better at juking out defenders, how come NONE of them return kickoffs?

Gut

9. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

andre johnson, at least that is what the texans made him last year.

10. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Interesting...

So speed guys who can catch are 'speed/possession' guys?

Too bad Jarrett doesn't have the speed...

Gut

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar