Spiking the ball

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Ewker, Nov 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blazing Arrow

Blazing Arrow The 12th man

I'm telling you if you can find the Sapp interview after the game it makes it 100x better.

Him asking the reporter if he knew what a fumble was. And just repeating over and over "So you know that was a fumble right? Cuz everyone in here does. Come on now man I just want you to admit what we already know."

:grrhee:

2. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

i have wondered about it too, and there are two things i can come up with...

1. you're not trying to avoid a loss of yards
    2. the ball is at the line of scrimmage. the ball has to at least reach the line of scrimmage for no grounding call

3. Nine

Nine Starter

Spiking the ball is, by definition, legalized intentional grounding, and the rules recognize it as such. As Vigsted pointed out, the league chose to make an exemption.

However, there's actually a pretty narrow set of guidelines for spiking the ball. The QB must spike the ball with an immediate and deliberate motion...he cannot turn, look at a receiver, or do anything else that could be construed as a regular play. It must be obvious that his only intention was to spike the ball. Also, if I'm not mistaken, the QB must take the ball from under center...he cannot spike from a shotgun formation.

4. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

What about when Peyton fooled the officials or whatever? Remember that? Wasn't it against the Saints? That would be so freakin' cool if LazyMan was able to dig that one up. :ha:

5. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

i like this spike better than the peyton one

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-azgWTq3_dU"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-azgWTq3_dU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

6. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

I think the Raiders were screwed. A forward lateral would assume you are trying to get the ball to one of your players, and none were in the area. Plain and simple he released the ball before contact. I think it was a fumble. I wonder what happens next time if the player doesn't spin it forward, but backward?

7. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Then it's a legal fumble and a free ball. The thing on the San Diego play is that it is indeed a fumble. However, a deliberate forward fumble is illegal and therefore the play is whistled dead and the ball is not free. Spiking the ball into the ground in front of you is clearly a deliberate fumble. It's pretty simple for anyone not a Raiders fan really....

8. TNThunder

TNThunder Guest

It's not simple at all. I could care less about the Raiders, so save that idea. I am saying that it was ruled an illegal forward lateral, not an illegal fumble. To lateral would imply that there was another member of his team there to accept the lateral, which was not the case. So explain how that is "simple".

9. Gut

Gut Pro Bowler

Well...

The NFL has unfortunately made rules much more complicated (and silly) than they need to be.

For instance...had ANYONE heard of the Tuck rule until the Pats/Raiders playoff game? Better yet, WHY is that a rule? Cause theoretically, if you pumped the ball once and kept your arm in a circular motion, you can't fumble the ball as a QB. That's ridiculous.

If you're trying to throw the ball and bring it back and it's knocked out, it SHOULD be a fumble.

If you catch the ball past the line of scrimmage and throw it to the ground or toss it forward (forward lateral), it should be a fumble free for the D to get. If the offense recovers it, they should be penalized for a forward lateral from the spot of the lateral. Currently, the rule HURTS the D....as do MOST rules in the NFL.

Currently I believe you won't get called for intentional grounding if you're outside the tackle box and get the ball back to the line of scrimmage. The idea of the rule Intentional Grounding is to prevent QB's from throwing it away (anywhere) to avoid a sack. As mentioned above, there are now two exceptions o this rule (spike and outside the tackle box) to help offenses.....shocking! The main reason the exceptions were put in is to help prolong offense (especially in the last 2 minutes for more excitement) and help keep QB's in one piece.

And how ticky tacky are they getting with QB's these days? Now if you cleanly tackle one too hard you get roughing the passer. I think if you even scare Peyton Manning it's a penalty these days!

Gut

10. A.D.

A.D. It's (insert day of week here) & Colts still SUCK Staff

Digest of Rules

Intentional Grounding of Forward Pass

1. Intentional grounding of a forward pass is a foul: loss of down and 10 yards from previous spot if passer is in the field of play or loss of down at the spot of the foul if it occurs more than 10 yards behind the line or safety if passer is in his own end zone when ball is released.

2. Intentional grounding will be called when a passer, facing an imminent loss of yardage due to pressure from the defense, throws a forward pass without a realistic chance of completion.

3. Intentional grounding will not be called when a passer, while out of the pocket and facing an imminent loss of yardage, throws a pass that lands at or beyond the line of scrimmage, even if no offensive player(s) have a realistic chance to catch the ball (including if the ball lands out of bounds over the sideline or end line).

http://www.nfl.com/fans/rules/intentionalgrounding

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar