Spiking the ball

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Ewker, Nov 30, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ewker

Ewker Starter

This may sound stupid but why isn't spiking the ball considered intentional grounding.
    There is no WR or RB in the area when the QB is spiking it. The QB is still inside of the tackles.

I have always wondered that but no one has ever been able to give a answer.

2. Titan Yapper

Titan Yapper Only ONE Team Matters - TN Titans

Your not trying to avoid a negative play. You are merely stopping the clock. Grounding occurs when you are trying to avoid getting sacked. Throwing the ball away happens you the qb is trying to avoid negative yardage.

Spiking the ball doesn't involve any of that.

3. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

SEC 330 BIPOLAR jive turkey

maybe it's because the quarterback is not trying to avoid a loss of yards. Grounding calls come up when the quarterback is throwing to no one to avoid a sack. That takes something from the defense I suppose... the sack not to mention the yards...

Taking the snap under center and spiking it only results in a stoppage and a loss of down. This question of your reminds me of the strange happening in the Raiders game when dude was NOT down by contact, got up and threw the ball forward at the ground. It was ruled an illegal forward pass and blown dead I believe. He was very lucky. I'd like to see a clip of that.

4. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

With the Chargers (9-2) trailing 14-7 and facing fourth-and-2 from the Raiders 40, Jackson made a diving catch of a 13-yard pass from Philip Rivers, rolled to the ground untouched, then stood up and spun the ball forward in celebration. Oakland's Fabian Washington jumped on the ball.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/recap/NFL_20061126_OAK@SD

5. Ewker

Ewker Starter

don't agree with that answer. usually if the QB is outside of the tackles it isn't grounding.

6. <object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Dh5stIfnhaU"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Dh5stIfnhaU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

7. AFJoe

AFJoe Guest

Even if they did call intentional grounding, it wouldn't matter. It is a spot foul, and loss of down. So the ball would be placed about the same place, and it would be the next down, just as if he spiked it. So no use in throwing a flag, because that would stop the clock and give the offensive team an advantage, just as spiking is. So either way it leads to the exact same outcome, so the league let's it go.

8. Vigsted

Vigsted Starter

Actually I believe Intentional Grounding is 10 yards minimum. The reason a spike isn't intentional grounding is simply because the NFL decided to make an exemption to the rule.

9. Blazing Arrow

Blazing Arrow The 12th man

I was wondering when this would come up. It has been HUGE in the Oakland media. C-O-N-Raider-sperusy. I love it. Try and check out the Sapp interview in the locker room afterwards. Classic Sapp classic Faiders.

I did not see anything on the "Play Me a Song Mr. Harrington" event either. Both were comedy.

10. SEC 330 BIPOLAR

thanks for that btw.

Arrow, I was wondering when it would come up too. I love it that it was the Raiders that got screwed. I'd hate to see that go again with the roles reversed. I'm liking San Diego catching a break there after having a big season so far.

Go Billy! :ha:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar