Special teams

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Riverman, Sep 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Riverman

Riverman That may be.... Tip Jar Donor

I'm really surprised there hasn't been a thread berating our special teams- especially our kicking game.

I'm not as sold on Bironas/Hentrich any more. Our kicking game was HORRENDOUS. Our punting was below average, our field goal kicking (line play also) lost the game for us at Pittsburgh and possibly even last years Ravens game.

I was SO MAD sitting at the game after Bironas missed that 37 yarder and even more made we had that 31 yarder blocked. Bironas, Hentrich and our long snapper (Amano?) BETTER be putting in extra time at BSP getting this crucial part of our game back up to snuff because without better play from them we can expect SEVERAL more "tough losses".

I didn't like the fact that Bironas was excused from so many practices at TC. He needs to get his now pudgy- azz back to the grindstone or he can hit the pavement. :grrr::grrr::grrr:

• High Five High Five x 2
  2. guitarjunkie

guitarjunkie We're Screwed...

I was beginning to think the Texans had shown up to play special teams for us.

People are criticizing coaching, QB play etc. But there is no excuse to leave 6 points hanging on the goal post. That was the game right there no OT, done and on the way home.

• High Five High Five x 1
  3. davidantx

davidantx Starter

No doubt about it the Kicking Game was the weak link Thurs Night. I sure hope we see improvement against Houston...

4. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

Our Special Teams looked, well, Special. Our return game was not impressive at all, our field position sucked each and every drive. Finnegan had no business out there taking punts. Bironas was inexcusably off and deserves the most blame as far as the players go. And Craig is a veteran and he just can't shank a punt like that at that point in a game.

5. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

That was my only real worry after watching the preseason games. For a team that is built to be patient and win the field position battle, we have to have a better ST unit.

The blocked kick was bad - yes the penetration up the middle made it possible but Bironas has been hitting them way too low.

Not sure about Hentrich - he just can't do that.

Finnegan is one of my favorite players, but OMG did he make some horrible decisions on those punts. Letting the ball hit the ground just inside the 20? Not even our rookies do that.

Apparently 5 preseason games just isn't enough.

6. HeadOnASwivel

HeadOnASwivel Pro Bowler

ST was definitely a factor in the loss. Hentrich just sucks, I'm sorry. And can someone please teach Craig Stevens to keep contain on kick coverage? He lost contain twice and the returner just went up the sidelines twice for huge gains.

7. Jazzy Titan

Jazzy Titan yum yum eat em up

and yet we have 2 special teams captains. why have captains for the worst part of your team? Bulluck should be a captain no question. Where was our other suprise captain anyway? Did he even have a tackle? and yes i agree stevens is awful on special teams thus far.

8. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

I think it was a reoccurring topic in many of the game threads.

The Titans held their own in two of three phases of the game. That's not good enough when playing at the home of the World Champions. If it doesn't get fixed soon, it'll be the Titans Achilles heel.

9. Big Time Titan

Big Time Titan Big Time Titan

I think Bironas will sharpen things up and regain his consistency. It just isn't like him to miss kicks. The block wasn't totally his fault but missing that 37-yarder was just plain weak.

Hentrich ate it on that last punt but I don't expect that happen again. He's usually pretty reliable. There is no doubt that he guys won't hear the end of it if they don't get their act together.

I expect them to get back on track.

10. MJTitans

MJTitans Chris Whitley look him up

I think Bironas and Hentrich will be fine... the blocked kick worries me a little since it was the 2nd time we've seen him hit it too low on a short kick recently. But he's a pro and will fix it.

The return game needs help. Hopefully Mouton will settle things down on punts and I think Ringer will be pretty good. But we're not there yet. The kick coverage wasn't as bad as I was expecting, but there were some lost containment that we can't afford in games like that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar