Special Teams is a Third of the Game

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by Dangermode, Mar 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dangermode

Dangermode A New Era has Begun

Well I for one am happy that the Titans are taking special teams so seriously this offseason. Am I being sarcastic? Nope. Fowler, Gage, and Scott were all big Special Teams contributors. Fowler and Scott standouts. It will be good to see them out there helping this team. Just a cup is half full kinda thought.

2. KamikaZ

KamikaZ Ex-Hall of Famer

Good point. I felt our special teams last year was adaquete. People scoff at our bargain-level moderate talents, but guess what? Our special teams is gonna be highly improved with these three alone; imagine what the draft yields.

3. Vince10

Vince10 Camp Fodder

ST is vastly underrated by the average fan. Also, in a market where you have to pay star-level salaries for above average players and break the bank for really good ones, a team cannot reasonably add a bunch of established starters. So the Titans have been adding young players who are about to enter their primes, so as to upgrade the bottom of the roster instead of the top. I like the moves. So far, though I wish we had found more guys on the DL.

4. RollTide

RollTide All-Pro

Lavar woods..

Another guy who is good in kick coverage and was signed mainly for that..

edit: I'm wondering about waddell and his contribution this year. He was great in coverage in 05 but we'll see with the knee. If we lose pac for a while at least we can make up for it with good cover teams.

5. Fry

Fry Welcome to the land of tomorrow!

i think our punt coverage these past two years has been great. waddell in 05 was a terrific gunner as was finnigan in 06.

our KO coverage has been pretty average the past.....probably since 2000. in 05 it masked because bironas had so many touchbacks, but it seemed this year he would kick it out of bounds at least once a game towards the end of the season.

6. GoTitans3801

GoTitans3801 Forward Progress!

Overall, we were 11th in return coverage, I wouldn't say we've been ignoring special teams. I think one of the reasons we were so successful last year was clearly that our special teams were working hard. The guys believed in Pac, Bobby seemed to always at least get it to the 25 if not the 30, and we had some Gunners who were clearly working their tails off. I'd love to see us have top 5 special teams, but as long as we maintain what we had last year I'll be happy.

7. Dangermode

Dangermode A New Era has Begun

:bump:

Bumping this up so everyone remembers that I called it on the special teams build up. :grrhee:

Fowler, Gage and Griffen made a difference today.

8. PhiSlammaJamma

PhiSlammaJamma Critical Possession

The squib kick gave me goosebumps. For that alone I pay my cable bill.

9. Ryan

Ryan FREE WILLY!!!

Good bump.

Griffin is a god on Special Teams

10. Laserjock

Laserjock South Endzone Rocks! Staff

Penalties are still killing what could be a very good special teams group. Big returns coming back for holding calls not even affecting the play will catch up to us.

Davis and Griffin are looking good as returners, and it is fun to watch Griffin go down and head hunt the opposing team's returner.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar