Soooo.... Who??

Discussion in 'Tennessee Titans and NFL Talk' started by guitarjunkie, Jan 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZELL22

ZELL22 Starter

Not b/c it was so much better, but simply put it was better than ours. And with the additions that we WILL get on D, we will be as good personnel wise as the deadskins, (better IMO), we should be alot better, with the right coordinator. GW has had alot of success with the talent that he had when he was here as our DC. I lean on the knowlegde that he is capable of coaching up a defense. He blitzed and wasn't scared to do so. He mixed up coverages, he game planned for the opposition, now it may be me, but there were times that it absolutely looked like JS was winging it calling plays. We were a top 10 Defense under GW, and that speaks to his abilities as a coach. We'll have some pieces that he can work with, and we'll have a top 5 D under him.

So sayith me, so sayith us all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Williams lost because he blitzed despite not having players good enough. It wasn't that he wasn't scared to blitz. He was just too stupid not to. Of the 2 of them, only Schwartz is willing to adapt his schemes to the players at hand.

What some of you don't get is that systems don't make for a good defense. Any system can win with the right players. No system can win without them...

3. ZELL22

ZELL22 Starter

I Partly disagree with you Star Killer, Most coaches have a philosphy of coaching, a plan, an idea of how they want things to be run. To their detriment, this sometimes backfires and they get ran out of town, b/c they don't have the talent to do the things that they want to do, and their lack of flexibility, creativeity, or dare I say stubbornes, leaves them exposed. On the other hand, having a coach that is floaty, and does not have a clue as to what their teams strengths are, while having Pro Bowl Caliber talent will be doomed to failure as well.

I think there needs to be a blance. Decent talent, and great coaching is my preference. I don't care if we had Champ Bailey, Ray Lewis, and Dwight Freeny (positions of need BtW) this year, We would still have suffered. A good coach knows how to get the most out of his players(it pains me to say this but see Bill Belichek), The ability to make a 10 course meal out of bread and carrots, is what you want. Even with the players mentioned, I honestly think JS would heave coached their talent down, and we would be a subpar defense still, rotate the example and put GW coaching here with those players mentioned, and I honestly believe we are a top 10 D.

Let me know what you think.

4. I think you are blinded by the same anti-Schwartz sentiment that blinds a lot of other posters.

No one here has ever suggested that Schwartz is some great DC. But he's better than he gets credit for.

As for Gregg Williams, he benches good players just because they don't fit into his system rather than altering his system to make the best use of his players. As examples, I give you Lavar Arrington and Adam Archuletta.

5. ZELL22

ZELL22 Starter

Trust me Starkiller, I am not blinded. It's funny how we all watch the same games and come away with different opinions. For the past three years, we have suffered on Defense. Sure we lost a ton of talent, and had a ton of injuries I understand that. But I have sat and watched every game for the past three years, and quite frankly, our D sucks, it had sucked, and will continue to suck as long as JS is D coordinator. Sure, some of the players dog it out there, and make bad plays, miss tackles, and make bad reads. Those things are inevitable, they are going to happen everygame. The difference is the coach must then identify they errors and the "Coach" the players. If they continue to make the same mistakes over and over again, then he must "Coach" said player to the bench.

I believe that LT, and RH have made their bed, and will lose their starting roles to more talented players, PS, bless his heart, couldn't run down a wheeless unicycle going up hill so ST will have his job next season. The players while never directly saying anything, have hinted that the coaching is an issue (KB to be exact). I honestly believe that the players are ready for a change as well. Our defense has won us 1 game in three years, and have lost us quite a bit more. Here's the deal, something HAS TO CHANGE. You can't dump no more than four starters, or should I say won't, so JS has to go, he has bought his time, I'm ready for him to go. Again, I'm not blinded, just tired.

P.S. Adam Archuletta sucks he just had good marketing, and LaVar Arrington had trouble learning the scheme, he didn't deserve to play until he learned, when he did, he played.

6. Up until that last bit, I don't disagree with you.

Yes, they happen because we have too many bad players.

First off, no coach can make Lamont Thompson into a good safety. Secondly, I'm all for benching players and going with younger guys, but you can blame that on Fisher.

I agree. When we disagree on is what has to change. They need to upgrade the lineup. Until they do, the defense won't be very good no matter who is calling the plays. They need to upgrade at FS, CB, MLB, DE, and DT. Right now, the only guys we have who could start on most teams are Pacman, Hope, Bulluck, Thornton, and KVB.

7. maximus

maximus Starter

Very good points...as was your earlier post about GW not altering his system to his players...which JS does

8. TitanJeff

TitanJeff Kahuna Grande Staff

:woohoo:

9. Childress79

Childress79 Loungefly ®

My sentiments exactly.

Our D still needs a lot of attention

10. Lumebray

Lumebray Virtus Et Honor

Definatly not a HC

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • Welcome to goTitans.com

Established in 2000, goTitans.com is the place for Tennessee Titans fans to talk Titans. Our roots go back to the Tennessee Oilers Fan Page in 1997 and we currently have 4,000 diehard members with 1.5 million messages. To find out about advertising opportunities, contact TitanJeff.
  • The Tip Jar

For those of you interested in helping the cause, we offer The Tip Jar. For $2 a month, you can become a subscriber and enjoy goTitans.com without ads.

Hit the Tip Jar